Striped Rectangle on Bike Rack

alistair

I have noticed that a lot of motorhomes with bikes on the back have a diagonally-striped (red and yellow, if I remember rightly) rectangle mounted on the rearmost bike. Is this compulsory in any parts of Europe? We have travelled a lot without one in France & Italy but have never been queried on it.

Alistair

My understanding was that it was compulsory in some countries in Europe but I don't have a list of them to hand.

Even if it wasn't, I still think they are a good idea from a road safety point of view particularly in poor weather.  Don't wanna find the guy behind trying to sneak into my fixed bed!!

W2G

There is new legislation in Portugal which in practice means that only motor caravans are allowed to carry bicycles at the rear of the vehicle.

Cars should transport them on the roof provided an overall height of 4m is not exceeded. Drivers of cars with bicycles attached to the back of the vehicle will be subject to a fine.

If you wish to carry bicycles in Spain or Italy you will need a 50 x 50 cm relectorised panel, which can be brought from most caravan/motor home accessory shops – they are available in plastic or aluminium.

Travelling to Italy the panel has to be aluminium

malc d - 2009-11-09 9:14 AM

It's compulsory in Spain.

:-|

Now that's something I didn't know for Spain,seem to recall last year I saw a few vans in Spain not displaying them wonder if they incurred the wrath of the Guardia Civil/local Police etc or no one bothered them.

I put one on as a matter of fact.. that you can see it...still you live and learn!

alistair - 2009-11-10 8:35 AM

Thanks to all for comments. We had 5 weeks in Italy in 2008 with two bikes on the back and no reflector. No-one said anything! We'll get one before our next trip.

Alistair

New van will not have a Bicycle rack on therefore I have a Reflective back plate and also a Fiamma bicycle cover (2 bikes) which I could let you have at a very reasonable rate :-)

is this new legislation in spain?

i have read before of it being required in some countries, but having travelled to europe twice a year for 2-3 months each year since 004,(much of it in spain), i have never been stopped. have i just been very lucky or do i look honest but dim? B-)

Not new, been the case for sometime (not sure how long, but someone on here will know) Guess you.ve been lucky Maybe the Spainish police had other things to do!! Perhaps if they get bored, they may implament the rule!! For the sake of a few pounds , would get one to attach to bikes.

P

It is ABSOLUTELY compulsory throughout Spain.

And utterly no-one uses them.

I'm not saying don't put one on if you are coming over here, but no-one seems to take a blind bit of notice here at all.

We don't; we never have; no-one that I know here has ever done so.

I see maybe 1% of MH's carrying bikes at the rear (Spanish and foreign) actually diplaying one of these triangles.

Rayjsj - 2009-11-11 10:37 AM

Why only Alluminium signs in Italy (a bit pedantic !) it's perfectly possible to take the reflective suface to the edge of a plastic sign,and surely 'Fiamma' aren't the only manufacturer's ? Ray

Been trying toi find info on this, to substantiate it...but cannot.

Only thing I can find is a compulsary in Italy on Fiamma site but not clear if it only referes to aluminium one or both square marker boards.

What I have found is an italian regulation mentioning if load protrudes more than 1 metre then marker boards are required.

Anyone got a link to the relevant italian regulations?

Jon

Archived