Paris come on tell me what its like

michele

Hi everyone longtime no speak :D

We have a week off from the children ,hubby is taking me to Paris .

Now I actually watched Dermot (forgot name) a documentary reporter who reported on Paris it frightened the hell out of me . It just reminds me of London druggies everything warts an all .

Anyone been ? we intended to stay at the one and only campsite just outside Paris but a little worried as the avenue where it is, is known for ladies of the night . I dont have a problem with how they earn their money its the folks that visit .

Anyone been ?

whats good to see ?

whats a rip off ? would you avoid or go ?

thanks

Hi Michele...nice to 'see' you again (lol)

It's been a few years since I went to Paris, but my must-see list would include:

Montmatre for Sacre Coeur and the street artists.

Moulin Rouge for the cabaret. (Tastefully done)

Tour Montparnasse, the tallest office block which has a terrace on top for stunning views of the city.

Rue Saint Honore for posh shopping.

Hi J9 ,Thanks .

Nice to be back kids all in bed early bless em :-D

Ok so whats the first one with the fancy name ?. and what quater is it in ,I think thats how it is isnt it split in to sections.?

What did you thinkof Paris because according to the guy it is full of gangs and violence .

I did panic thats the last thing I want get mugged because hubby would kill them and they would kill him .god what a worry alays had this silly notion it was romantic and well looked after .the mind does funny things . :-(

Was thinking the other day that hadden't heard much from you.

Stayed at hotel, so don't know about campsite. I'm not one for cities, but Paris I make exception for, so many things to do I can't think what to recommend, get a guide book and read up might be good idea. A day pass on 'Red Bus' was good when we went, goes on circle route in centre, so you hop on and off, then we went all way round at night to see lights. We did get a little hassle from beggers at Eiffel Tower but just egnor them.

Hi Michele

We have stayed at the camp site "Bois de boulogne" a few years ago. There is a bit of a walk to get to public transport into "town" but the area is ok and unlike some places in Paris is fairly free from undesirables.

Last year we went to Paris for the BNP Paribas Masters tennis and stayed for the week in a hotel near the stadium in Bercy. We did a bit of the usual sight seeing in between the tennis and the one thing I would say is - take a big credit card with you - It's B****y expensive!!!!!!!!!!!! In a pub in Bercy (so not right in the tourist bit) 2 coffees were 8.50 euros!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eating out is expensive and as for French cuisine - give me a brit pub meal any time.

Romantic city - er not really - bit like London with the addition of the Louvre. If you want to go there be prepared for a long queue.

Don't let me put you off as, if you haven't been before, it is very interesting.

Enjoy the break.

thanks guys so far for replying .

I know a friend who said it came to 87 e just to sit and have 4 coffees and 4 small pastries at the bottom of the Ifel Tower . If thats they case not that I should be eating cakes but I will take sandwiches and my ruck sack.

Dont mind paying for anything but thats too steep . and 8.50 for coffee is also if you had of said 6 i would of expected it .

thanks guys so far for replying .

I know a friend who said it came to 87 e just to sit and have 4 coffees and 4 small pastries at the bottom of the Ifel Tower . If thats they case not that I should be eating cakes but I will take sandwiches and my ruck sack.

Dont mind paying for anything but thats too steep . and 8.50 for coffee is also if you had of said 6 i would of expected it .

If you don't like the idea of 'Bois de Bologne' you could try its sister site on the east side of Paris on the banks of the Marne, Camping Paris Est, we have been to both sites several times as well as Paris and have not encountered any 'undesiables' though they are no doubt about as with any large city.

see http://www.campingparis.fr/

Very slightly further out (4km compared to 3km) but much easier transport, bus stop at entrance to site and a 5min ride to the RER straight into the centre or anywhere between. Vincennes is worth a look on the way in for instance, you can check out the free Aire thats there for when you take the motorhome, LoL!!

One place not mentioned so far is La Defense, sort of like our Canary Wharf but without the boats. There is some interesting modern architecture there and it is worth going to the top of the arch see the layout of the roads system (dead straight alignment) through to the Louvre and Notre Dame, modern shopping centre and resturaunts as well.

Don't go spending your money at the Eiffel Tower, far too overpriced, check out some of the restuarants in the 'Latin Quarter', normally good food in a good atmosphere but still pricey now compared to UK despite the governments reduction on food eaten out.

She's back!!  Hi Michele.  Long time no scribble.

Paris.  Quite small, so quite easy to walk around the central area.  Not like London, smaller in scale, smaller shops, smaller streets.  Not necessarily that expensive if you get a Michelin Red guide and pick reasonably priced restaurants from that.  Eat a lunch time, not in the evening - many do a weekday lunch time special menu for office workers.  Usually good!  Don't do pavement cafés, they have always charged ridiculous prices!  You aren't supposed to rush your drink, they are for spending time watching the world go by, so you kind of pay by the hour, rather than by the drink.  That is to say, the charge for the drink includes an expectation that you will linger, and not rush off!

Galeries Lafayette and Printemps for a start are well worth a visit (sort of the Harrods and Selfridges of Paris).  Fantastic glazed stained glass dome roof in the centre of Lafayette.  Loads of posh frocks in the womens' wear department - watch prices!!  If it's still there, the Petit Flo in Printemps is an excellent place to eat mid-day.  Good menu, fair prices, good food.  If you want something a bit special, sniff out the Brasserie Flo.  Has the most fantastic interior, and good food at reasonable prices.  Is also open Sunday evening, which most eateries aren't.  Notre Dame, of course.  Musee d'Orsay for fantastic art nouveau furniture and interiors.  Maybe worth trying the Eiffel tower to see if you can get to the top, don't know how much it is now, but quite an experience.  If not to the top, then you can/could walk up to the first level which may be enough!  If you get to La Defence (the new business district, a bit like Docklands without the docks) there is the Grand Arche.  An office block in the shape of a triumphal arch with a tensile fabric awning stretching across beneath the arch, symbolising clouds, and a fantastic glass lift bolted to the outside of the office wall that rises right up through the head of the arch and onto the roof, from which you can look straight back down the Boulevard Charles De Gaulle to the Place de Gaulle (the old Place de l'Etoile), that huge roundabout that is always filmed with the Arc de Triomphe and the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior at its centre, and beyond that down the Champs Elysees and the Tuileries Gardens.  There's tons more!  Guide book and Michelin essential.  Oh, and the Metro isn't the tube.  You will need a map, you'll need to know which line to take by name, and the direction of travel is toward the end of the line station.  No equivalent of the London tube map, and no North, South, East or West!  Bit difficult to unravel at first, but not too difficult.  You can get books of tickets, and the prices weren't too bad last time we were there.  If you stay in the centre, which is where most of the interest is, I don't think you'll have any problem with addicts, pickpockets or gangs.  However, it is a city, so you have to be alert and a bit streetwise.  If somewhere you wander into feels wrong, wander gently and nonchalantly out!

Enjoy!

Hi Michelle - glad to see you back. The posts above have given you lots of choice but there are lots of things to see that have not yet been mentioned. Personally I enjoy the Bateau Mouche (depending on the weather) which is quite a romantic way to see the city. There is a running commentary which points out lots of landmarks. If you get onboard during the daytime try to avoid school parties as the children always scream going under the bridges and there are lots of them! I think it is the nicest way to see the Notre Dame and the outside of many famous buildings.

I think Paris is a beautiful city with lots of space and lovely architecture although I do not like the Pompidou building.

Something not mentioned so far is the problem of finding a reasonably priced loo! I think the self-cleaning ones are the cheapest but you might need to buy a coffee for the comfort stop! There are quite a few nice parks where you can eat your sandwiches first.

Try not to worry about the out-and-abouts as the French police do not put up with any nonsense. I have witnessed many arrests, mainly of Africans selling goods, and believe me the batons fly.

Have a wonderful time but do try to do some research first and have a plan worked out and a good map.

We went in February - two museums specially impressed us: Orsay (in former train station) and Orangerie (by Tuileries gdns near Louvre).

We did it the cheapskate way - free MH parking for 3 nights near Chateau de Vincennes, metro into town each day. No water etc there though - just parking.

Well, Well,

What a brave man Brian Kirby, admitting you have a fetish.

It must have taken some courage to admit, especially on this forum, knowing some of the characters that participate on it.

But well done for letting us know about you going to Paris and buying women's cloth's. Not only that, but sniffing Flo's Brassier, I can understand that as I to enjoy that as long as she is taller than myself,

So Brian    'Congratulations'  Brave Man. :D :D

Dave

Oh so you all missed me then did ya ?. I come to have a spy and see what you is all getting up to . I hope you are all well and if not i wish you all well I have most probably missed so much so will have lots of catching up to do .

Well what can I say as usual Brian patricia and Tony you all did your best .

Tonight when he wakes up (hard day these coppers ) inputting crime reports lol. No lets not go there lol :D When he gets up I will of course be showing him the info and I will be researching Bazil Campsite . My brain haha whats left sorry it does not retain the info hence why I forgot Bazil said about the campsite and I left him out in the thankyou's (thanks Bazil) . anyway all these wonderful tips and places to go and see . I am glad someone mentioned that it was quite a walk to transport (need the loo alot ) :D it comes with age I,m afraid :D

Maybe we will look at the campsites mentioned although I am not sure if the reason is the others are closed and thats why hubby picked this one .

I dont know where he read it but he definately did that the main boulevard outside the campsite is frequented by prostitutes . As I said it does not affect me what they do however its the persons it attracts thats the bit that scares me .

I shouldnt imagine that we will be back to the van late at night anyway but slighly put off a little by it .

I cant wait to go and I am looking forward to anything you have all got to say good or bad . I have bought a guide book and have been sitting on the web reading thing is knowing the Lovre ? is a world known museum I would expect it to be busy . Nothing like hearing it from you guys who have been and say the ques are 10 miles long .

You know me guys pick the bones out of that .

Good to be back missed you all x

I

I

michele - 2009-11-13 6:48 PM

Oh so you all missed me then did ya ?. I come to have a spy and see what you is all getting up to . I hope you are all well and if not i wish you all well I have most probably missed so much so will have lots of catching up to do .

Well what can I say as usual Brian patricia and Tony you all did your best .

Tonight when he wakes up (hard day these coppers ) inputting crime reports lol. No lets not go there lol :D When he gets up I will of course be showing him the info and I will be researching Bazil Campsite . My brain haha whats left sorry it does not retain the info hence why I forgot Bazil said about the campsite and I left him out in the thankyou's (thanks Bazil) . anyway all these wonderful tips and places to go and see . I am glad someone mentioned that it was quite a walk to transport (need the loo alot ) :D it comes with age I,m afraid :D

Maybe we will look at the campsites mentioned although I am not sure if the reason is the others are closed and thats why hubby picked this one .

I dont know where he read it but he definately did that the main boulevard outside the campsite is frequented by prostitutes . As I said it does not affect me what they do however its the persons it attracts thats the bit that scares me .

You know me guys pick the bones out of that .

Good to be back missed you all x

I

I

Hi Michelle

I can understand your concerns regarding the Bois de Bologne area.

It is quite safe in the immediate area around the Campsite. The "problem" area is the direct route into the centre via Bois de Bologne (Allee de Longchamp & others)

IMHO the best route is along the river (Allee du Bord de l'Eau / Blv de General Koenig) to Neuilly (5 to 8 minutes) and then take the Metro to the Champs Elysee

To walk from Neuilly to Champs Elysee is approx 40 mins

Hi Michele

We've stayed at the Bois de B. campsite a couple of times now. The last time, 2 years ago if my memory is correct, it was looking a bit tired but we weren't overly bothered as we were only there for 2 nights.

There was a regular bus from just outside the campsite entrance into Paris so I assume it's still running. We didn't use it as we took our push-bikes with us and rode into Paris on them, it didn't take too long and it was a great way of travelling around, we saw loads of stuff that we wouldn't have done if we'd been walking as we would never have had the time with just the 2 days. We took our rucksacks with lunch etc in so it wasn't a problem.

We took the dogs out for a walk on both nights we were there and didn't see any 'ladies of the night'.

Check if it is a member of the ACSI scheme again, it used to be but when we went last it wasn't probably due to it not meeting the 'standards' as it needed some work, but it may have joined again now.

Tony Jones - 2009-11-13 9:40 PM Forgot to mention ... We've never tried the Bois de B site, but if it's a "proper" site you're after, we've used Maisons-Lafitte a few times over the years, and always been happy with it. On the map it looks a bit far out, but there's a good train service.

And it closes for the winter!  :-(

Look for a fiver they would want to make there own hole :D

#

OMG did I just say that haha oh sod it I cant be bothered to remove it .

Thats it shes discusting shes back ROTF ..gotta liven it up a bit a .

Mel how much did you get whilst walking the dogs

:D only jokey folks.

Archived