Aire at Le Portal (Dept 62)

bob M

Hi,

Thanks to robertandjean for all their past input on aires.

I stayed at the one they recommended at Le Portal on November 9th,( one of the few aires on this coast which is free, which they posted on 13th July ) sadly it is now a pay aire.

It should have opened on the 9th Nov. but due to problems with the rise and fall bollard remained closed but I expect it is now open.

The charges are Oct-May 3e June-Sept 4e. water 120 lt 2e. electric 4 hrs 2e.

There are 40 places and 8 electric points, payment by card only.

Construction is taking place on the existing site though the old electric points are still in operation.

Guest JudgeMental
why do you say sadly now a pay Aire. Do you expect the local community to pay for your convenience? and for the upkeep, cleaning, rubbish removal, maintance etc...... £3.60 a night? now come on *-)

Hi,

First thanks for the kind words Bob M. Can not agree with Tony that Le Portel aire, as was, or the town itself is a dump. O.K. aire was next to fairly busy road but quite at night and easy walk to sea front, supermarket and town centre. Regarding the charge on new aire, opposite side road to original, then agree with Judge that it is not a lot and certainly when compared to cost of camping in U.K. a real bargain. But interesting to note that local shop owners, cafes etc do not support charges fearing less vans will stay; for example when charges were introduced last year at La Mailleray-sur-Seine (Dept 76)a petition against it was organised by local shops. Charge still went ahead, 5€/24hours, but clearly not popular (still a great place to stay and worth every cent).

Regarding "free" aires on north coast three still available are:

Gravelines (Dept 59) Marina. Parking only no sevices.

Audinghen (Dept 62) Cap Nature. Private aire (1597bis in Le Guide National). Services charged but not stay overnight.

Wissant (Dept 62) Parking only no services.

Another one a bit further down is the new, second aire, now open at Le Treport (Dept 76). This is situated at the end of Parking for the Telecabine. There are marked bays, houses to rear and cliff views to front. To locate follow parking telecabine signs. Free parking, for now, with services 2€ by credit card.

Remember also that things change year to year and charges maybe introduced or sometimes taken off. We called at Sarlat (Dept 24) just over two weeks ago and found the barrier open, so stayed 2 nights at no cost instead of the 12€ it should have cost. Not sure why no charge, could be end of season or faulty barrier. But town still benefited as spent much more than 12€!

I agree with the Rev, Le Portal was a dump and even if reconstructed the surrounding area was also a dump and we moved off to try the Hypermarket which is a few miles up the road, this was as bad, so we moved and free camped at the tunnel terminal which was fine.

We've just returned from France and did our second best for free aires with electricity, 4 nights in succession. Our best is 6! Long live the free aires, and we always use the local shops/cafes where available.

Hi Judge,

Living in the UK I enjoy it when I get a freebie. I try to buy local when the aire is free.

Have just spent 29 nights on aires with the average charge 7e the dearest 11e.

37 nights on campsites when 30 of those nights where under 10e.

The aires suit us as you can stop driving when it suits you and an aire can be found with ease when most sites in France are closed out of season.

I think the beach at Sete is to be a pay zone looking at the construction but I may be wrong.

Hi Folks,

Which aire is being discussed here? I seem to recall that there are two at le Portel, one by the port and the other up the hill by the football ground. I have used the one by the football ground on a few occasions when heading south, but never the other.

J

The Le Portal aire that I've used is the one at Boulogne itself, at the opposite side from the large main visitors parking area.

Le Portel

If you look for Boulevard du Bassin Napoleon you can see the green roofed buildings and the parking immediately in front of them, I think this is the one that Messerschmitt is referring to.

Hi,

The one we are talking about is the one outside the football stadium (The new aire is on the opposite side of road in a designated parking area) We also stick by our comments Le Portel aire is fine and town is a nice resort with many free events in summer; for 1€ you can also catch bus into Boulogne. Look it can't be that bad as it was really hard to find a place this summer with some vans staying for weeks! We will be back next year; best thing is to go and have a look for yourself; don,t be put off by one or two comments.

OK

It was a bit basic, but we often used it as an overnight stop to and from the ferry ports (away from the crowds). It had a tap (and, if you were fortunate and it wasn't too crowded, free electricity) - what more do you want?

On the couple of occasions we were brave enough to venture into the sports clubhouse we received a friendly reception and they were happy for us to use their toilets.

We were last there in early spring and the car park opposite was busy with construction equipment.

Is the aire down by the port a true aire for camping-cars - or is it simply a car park which is used for overnight sleeping (similar to the area alongside Nausicaa)?

Al

Hi Alchemist

It's just a car park but overnighting is allowed there by the police etc. The area of parking near Nautica no longer permits motorhomes, hasn't for a while.

The last time we made the mistake of staying at Boulogne we stopped in the main car park (not to be recommended) with a few other motorhomes and ended up with some idiots messing about smacking the vans as they went by. We moved to a parking area near the coast a few km away and had a very peaceful night.

We stayed at the Aire beside the football ground in Sept; and it looked fine to me :-) we walked in to the town and bought a take-away, it was very quiet and tidy, I noticed they had electricity bollards but nobody seemed to know how much it was.

Quite honestly I would rather pay, I dont see why the locals should foot the bill to provide us with a free night! it saves us feeling like free loaders or travellers. :-S Its a very convenient stop when youve travelled for seven hours plus.

The cost of electricity on the new bollards at Le Portel is 2€ for 4 hours. We too do not object to paying to stay on aires but as I pointed out earlier the local trades people prefer free aires as more vans stay and hence more trade. The community also benefit as local tax in France is related to turnover and profit. So no need to feel like a freeloader when using free aires; certain the French vanners don't!

Archived