Laundry fluid in toilet

rupert123

I recently came across a thread on MHF forum about using various powders/liquids in chemical toilet tanks in place of the normal blue/green type chemicals. I have never seen this spoken about on here in my 18 months or so of following this forum. I was interested as both this year and last I ran short of blue fluid and had some difficulty finding more in Europe and thought it might be an emergency back up. With this in mind I purchased some Tesco bio laundry liquid and resolved to try it on short trip my wife and have just made. First I put in double the amount I normally use, of blue, and it worked completely, absolutely no smell when in use or when emptying and breakdown of contents seemed complete. Next time I put in the same amount as I normally use and to my surprise same result. Now apart from being a fraction of the price it must have other advantages as well, eco friendly and being able to empty down any toilet, so instead of being just for emergency use am considering using all the time. Is anyone doing this or can you see any reason why not?

I have seen and heard of several different products for using in the cassette toilet over the years and all seem to work OK, your product seems to be another Ruppert, we have a SOG I don't want to start another SOG topic as you will all know that you need no additive to the system, but the point i am trying to make is that whatever you use or add for your toilet, if it works it works. *-) *-)

Hi

Even with a SOG it is useful to use a biological liquid occasionally, just as it is to use descaler from time to time. I also put biological washing liquid in the waste water tank from time to time - it freshens the tank beautifully. One thing to watch though would be that any metal parts are not left to soak in any chemical (other than ones designed for that use) as you could corrode them.

Peter

Guest Tracker

Any, or not, as the case may be, degradation of the rubber seals would be interesting as these cost a small fortune to replace and getting at some of them can be quite a messy job?

I think that for the sake of a few quid I'd rather keep using the Thetford branded products that I know are kind to my loo seals!

I would also rather try and obtain Thetford chemicals whilst abroad that try and get new seals for the loo!

Nevertheless if it works for you and you are happy then why not?

There is no right or wrong - just different!

Tracker - 2009-11-14 4:26 PM

Any, or not, as the case may be, degradation of the rubber seals would be interesting as these cost a small fortune to replace and getting at some of them can be quite a messy job?

!

If Ruperts been on the cider then the seals are gonna go no matter what he puts in the tank !!

Since we first got our MH nearly four years ago we've never used chemicals apart from our first trip.

We use two caps of a bleach/detergent combo branded W5 in Lidl or Lel in Aldi (Estrella is the branded version in Spain) and two scoops of Lidl's own brand Vanish powder branded W5.

Works a treat and at only 59c for a 1.5l bottle and 1.99€ for a tub of powder, extremely cheap!!

Tracker - 2009-11-14 4:26 PM

I think that for the sake of a few quid I'd rather keep using the Thetford branded products that I know are kind to my loo seals!

I would also rather try and obtain Thetford chemicals whilst abroad that try and get new seals for the loo!

Nevertheless if it works for you and you are happy then why not?

There is no right or wrong - just different!

This has nothing to do with saving money, as I said. However you may be right about seals but doubt it, as someone else pointed out they are fine in washing machines. I would also like to know how it would get on the seals, I always pour liquid in via the emptying pipe. I have only tried it twice so not completely convinced but it certainly worked on these occasions, just curious if anyone else had used it over a longer period of time.

An interesting topic and I think it may well be worth a try. As one of the other posters says even if in long term it was detrimental to rubber seals etc how is it going to get at them when filled through the outlet pipe straight into the cassette or is there something in the cassette that could be affected, I think there is a float mechanism to warn when getting full. Could that be affected..

Perhaps some fill via the seal in the base of the bowl

Dave

Over the years we have tried various products in the grey water tank to get rid of smells with differing levels of success. The problem is difficulty of draining the waste tank fully as the outlet is not quite at the bottom of the tank.A manafacturer told us to put biological washing powder in the tank as it will eat the cause of the smell but we have never tried for fear of being overtaken by bubbles!! Does it work and if so how much powder do you use?

bobalobs - 2009-11-14 9:56 PM

Over the years we have tried various products in the grey water tank to get rid of smells with differing levels of success. The problem is difficulty of draining the waste tank fully as the outlet is not quite at the bottom of the tank.A manafacturer told us to put biological washing powder in the tank as it will eat the cause of the smell but we have never tried for fear of being overtaken by bubbles!! Does it work and if so how much powder do you use?

I did not use powder it was Tesco bio laundry liquid, used the washing machine one so no bubbles even after driving with it in. Never tried in the grey tank but assume it would work, you would have to experiment a bit as I did. I still feel its biggest plus is that it can be empted down any toilet point and the availibilty of it, or similar, all over Europe.

I have tried this method although I prefer to use the normal Thetford liquids. I came across it because someone I know stopped at a site in France where toilet waste goes into a 'Fosse Septique' and the site owners would not allow normal chemicals.

David

Guest Tracker

In previous years when money was much tighter I tried various other toilet fluids some of which were allegedly biological and all it seemed to do was cause me problems with, amongst others, but in particular the large seal between the loo bowl and the waste cassette and I have had to replace these on almost a yearly basis at times.

Now maybe Thetford are making the modern seals of better quality rubber/silicone - or whatever - compound that is more resistant to chemical attack - or maybe it's because I only now use their own chemicals but I have not had to replace a seal in many years now?

I don't know why but my feeling is that if it ain't broke why fix it?

That said, Thetford blue is getting expensive, you can't empty it everywhere, it don't smell too wonderful, and the pong gets even worse as the cassette gets close to full - so a less expensive sweeter smelling biodegradable chemical that does not affect the rubber seals in the longer term would be most welcome.

My limited experience of the Thetford green fluid, albeit a year or two ago, was that it was more expensive and even less effective at pong control - but maybe that has improved now?

By the way we never use the over priced Thetford BP (bum paper) as any other soft paper works perfectly well without clogging the gubbins!

Guest Tracker
W3526602 - 2009-11-15 8:45 AM

Hi,

OT ..... but in my younger days. I planned to visit the local conveniences, and add a bottle of washing up liquid to the cistern ....... 8-)

I never did, I regret to say.

Now hands that do dishes could be soft as your bum with mild green fairly liquid!

Archived