Modems

fred22

Hi any one with experience of WIRELESS MODEMS.

I have a Belkin but I am rather disappointed with the range.

I know local conditions will have a bearing on it's use but I expected it to cover more than the ground floor,

Any one got one which covers the Grd and First floors or are there different powered models on the market.?

Hi Fred

I'm afraid that many of the "free" wireless routers supplied by the ISPs are the cheapest available and normally well below the capabilities demanded by serious users and small businesses.

They are OK if the router is within spitting distance of your laptop - but wireless signals degrade considerably when passing through any water-retaining material (e.g. wooden floors).

Also be aware that your neighbour may well have a router operating on the same or close channel causing interference.

Although (in the UK) there are theoretically 13 802.11g channels available ("wireless g") only 3 channels are non-overlapping (1, 6, 11). to check which channels your neighbours are using try a program such as Netstumbler (free) and use the management (normally browser based) software to log on to your router and ensure that the channel your router is using is separated by preferably 5 channels from your nearest neighbour.

My "free" router went straight on Ebay and I used the money received to upgrade to a higher specification router. Expect to pay around £100 for a decent one (there are a number of other models available from Netgear).

However if you're happy with the one you have remember the maxim - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

And as Klyne says re-positioning of the router may solve your problems - but you may have to install a new telephone point.

And don't get me started on 802.11n on the 2.4GHz frequency range!

Al

fred22

You asked for advice on "WIRELESS MODEMS" and the replies to date have assumed that you actually meant, "WIRELESS ROUTERS". There is a huge difference between the two.

A wireless modem uses radio to connect a modem to the telephone line so as to connect via the normal PSTN to an ISP of your choice. So a wireless modem could be used by you in China connected to a local Chinese telephone line, to dial the UK and connect to Freeserve at 56kb.

A wireless router uses radio to connect to your UK telephone line directly through your local exchange to the ISP that you have a contract with to supply broadband services.

If you are actually meaning router and not modem, then the rule of 'three' is useful. The rule means some combination of walls (single) and floors (wooden) that adds up to three. For example a double cavity wall and a floor, or a single wall and two floors. Within the rule of three and given a 'normal' house, then a router should deliver satisfactory performance if it is of the 'b' or 'g' type. The newer 'n' routers should have a better range.

Michael

Hi, thanks for fantastic responses

The system I use at the moment has the telephone cable plugged into it and the computers connect to it via a wireless link

It states on the router Belkin ADSL2+Modem with wireless-G Router.

It was not a freebie I purchased it from PC world.

So, what I am looking for, is a similar system that has more range.

I tried lifting the existing modem higher up but there is little improvement.

fred22

If you want to try it, there are various DIY mods that can be done to the aerial of your router to increase its range. See for example:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-WIFI-Antenna-Reception-Booster/

I have done this myself and it does work.

Another simple aerial mod to boost its range can be found at:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

Or try a Google search using the key words, "broadband router aerial diy"

Have fun ;-)

Hi,

I use the same router and it works fine in my place, have you checked recently to see if there is any updates for the software/firmware as it could be your router is running an older copy of the firmware, the link below should help

http://en-au-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2010/q/routers

fred22 - 2009-11-15 5:27 PM

The system I use at the moment has the telephone cable plugged into it and the computers connect to it via a wireless link

Hi Fred22

When I lived in a house with a landline I used a Belkin router and there were times when I experienced problems, e.g. when I had been away for a few weeks and had forgotten to turn it off, and I found their technicians most helpful. Don't forget all Belkin products have a lifetime guarantee so if it is faulty then they will exchange it for a new one.

I've got a Belkin ADSL2+ for a cheap router it's range is not bad but spend a bit more and you can get newer better range router such as Netgear Rangemax.

Also the quality of the wireless adaptor/card in the PC will have an effect on range my old laptop only works in about ½ the house where the new one woks everywhere.

I only use the wireless connection for occasional use with the laptops, for normal use I always used wired connections much more reliable I've put a network point in every room in the house (except bathrooms, lounge & kitchen).

braunston - 2009-11-15 8:14 PM

Hi,

I use the same router and it works fine in my place, have you checked recently to see if there is any updates for the software/firmware as it could be your router is running an older copy of the firmware, the link below should help

http://en-au-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2010/q/routers

Hi, I have had my Belkin updated and although it does not disconnect itself now it has not improved the range.

Following on from the info rec'd (and PM's) I have decided to change the Belkin and I have purchased a Netgear DGN2000-100uks . It is on offer at Argos at the present time and with a £5 voucher sells for less than £70.

This is less than some want on e-bay and I will have a full guarantee.

Thanks to everyone,surely this is what forums are for.

Hi, Netgear modem is now installed and working fine.

We can operate a lap top on the first floor with Internet access.

Installation not as simple as led to believe but John at Netgear Tech Support was brilliant and very helpful to a thicky

Archived