How old is your Ford?

Derek Uzzell

This is a link to the FordEtis on-line Technical Information and Services website:

http://www.etis.ford.com/

Some of the facilities offered by FordEtis attract a fee: others are free. One of the latter allows you to obtain some useful data on your Ford vehicle, such as its factory build-date and any outstanding service actions.

To access this information, click on "Vehicle" at the top of the Etis home-page and enter your vehicle's Registration Number or VIN Number in the appropriate look-up box.

When I found out the details of my vehicle through the Ford Transit forum I was surprised to find out that my vehicle had been converted and registrered within 3 months of the base vehicle coming off the production line. You hear many stories of vehicles hanging around awaiting conversion but that certainly did not happen in my case.

The FordEtis entry for my present Hobby states that its chassis left the (Turkish) Ford factory on 4 April 2005 and I took delivery of the completed motorhome in Germany on 11 July 2005.

The entry for my previous Herald (that I bought second-hand in late 2008) says that it was UK-registered on 1 May 2007, but its Transit chassis was apparently built on 1 July 2006, 10 months earlier. Interestingly, FordEtis shows that a 'service action' is outstanding for this vehicle, relating to a "Cold Start Module".

Guest JudgeMental

mine was built november 2006 and I picked it up March 2007. The system would not recognise my reg number so I had to dig out the Vin. no outstanding recalls :-D

Derek, I think a new model, euro 5 transit is due 2011, Have you heard anything?

although there is a new "Transit Econetic is the first Ford commercial vehicle to offer Euro 5 emission standards in the sector." but this is only on the base 280 115 bhp panel van

JudgeMental - 2009-11-16 11:32 AM mine was built november 2006 and I picked it up March 2007. The system would not recognise my reg number so I had to dig out the Vin. no outstanding recalls :-D Derek, I think a new model, euro 5 transit is due 2011, Have you heard anything? although there is a new "Transit Econetic is the first Ford commercial vehicle to offer Euro 5 emission standards in the sector." but this is only on the base 280 115 bhp panel van

Eddie

That suggests your Tranny has not been entered onto the Ford database by whoever last serviced it.  That may prevent you being notified of recalls.  Suggest you speak to them.

Ours was June 2007 build in Turkey, converted by Hobby 30 July 2007 delivered (Bundesvan) from Hobby 4 August 2007.  Quick, or what!

My Hobby, like Eddie's Eura Mobil, has no record of its UK registration number on Ford Etis. In my case this is to be expected, as the vehicle was a personal import and has always been serviced/repaired by a non-Ford garage.

Brian's warning about recalls makes good sense and is likely to apply to any personally-imported motorhome that is serviced outside the base-vehicle manufacturer's own network. It may also be worth highlighting that 'independent' garages, although often cheaper than 'main agents', probably won't have access to any electronic software upgrades that a main agent would install as part of the servicing procedure.

Mine was apparently built in Southampton, Nov07 - more or less when I placed my order with RWT - and I took delivery in March 08.

Doesn't make a great deal of difference, but it's reassuring to know that (a) it really is British and (b) it wasn't standing around for too long before the converters got hold of it!

Archived