Autosleeper stop using Ford - Why ??

mike 202

I am surprised that A/S have stopped using Ford, the main reason I chose my A/S Windsor and will choose Ford again.

Any one know Why ?. When I change I will have to cross A/S of of my list as I refuse to bur any product from the Sevel factory and the Mercedes base offerings are all (with one exception) above 3500Kg.

Mike

I noticed this at the NEC this year and an A/S Rep. (not a dealer salesman) confirmed it, I was asking to see a 'new' Duetto' or if the 'Broadway EL Duo' came on 'any' other chassis, as I wouldn't touch a Sevel base with a bargepole at the moment. It seems Autosleeper are oblivious to customers concerns regarding the Sevel 'ongoing' Transmission problems, But are looking to the Mercedes 'Marquis' models to fill the 'Gap', A shame, I think they will lose more customers than gain any. Ray

The word is that the Ford base vehicles are harder to get hold of than others. Given that all the factories throttled back production for the credit crunch it appears that Ford were affected significantly - few people are building on them for next year simply because they can't get hold of them.

Glad I bought mine when I did, I really like the Ford base vehicle. Money no object I'd choose the Merc, though.

Peter R

Rayjsj - 2009-11-17 11:16 AM

I noticed this at the NEC this year and an A/S Rep. (not a dealer salesman) confirmed it, I was asking to see a 'new' Duetto' or if the 'Broadway EL Duo' came on 'any' other chassis, as I wouldn't touch a Sevel base with a bargepole at the moment. It seems Autosleeper are oblivious to customers concerns regarding the Sevel 'ongoing' Transmission problems, But are looking to the Mercedes 'Marquis' models to fill the 'Gap', A shame, I think they will lose more customers than gain any. Ray

Could it be that few customers have had problems with the PEUGEOTS (not Fiats) that Auto-Sleepers use?

There is still a tendency amongst some folk to lump all Peugeots and Fiats together.

I think part of the problem is that Ford have been dithering about when their new Transit is to be launched. That being the case motorhome converters have been unable to secure a reliable supply chain or delivery dates. I understand some manufacturers have dropped Ford from the range of models on offer.

It now appears that launch of the new Mk8 Transit has been delayed from 2011 to 2013 but there must still be a degree of uncertainty which must have influenced the motorhome industry's decision to concentrate more and more on Fiat.

I vaguely recall reading that the new Renault Master is to be launched in 2010. I am not aware of any 2010 models being advertised on the new chassis meaning that Fiat have more or less got total domination despite the shortcomings of the vehicle.

With regard to people lumping Peugeot and Fiat together as mentioned by the previous poster, the reason is clear. The vehicle's are virtually identical made in the same Sevel (Fiat) factory.

Mike88 - 2009-11-18 1:37 PM

I think part of the problem is that Ford have been dithering about when their new Transit is to be launched. That being the case motorhome converters have been unable to secure a reliable supply chain or delivery dates. I understand some manufacturers have dropped Ford from the range of models on offer.

It now appears that launch of the new Mk8 Transit has been delayed from 2011 to 2013 but there must still be a degree of uncertainty which must have influenced the motorhome industry's decision to concentrate more and more on Fiat.

I vaguely recall reading that the new Renault Master is to be launched in 2010. I am not aware of any 2010 models being advertised on the new chassis meaning that Fiat have more or less got total domination despite the shortcomings of the vehicle.

With regard to people lumping Peugeot and Fiat together as mentioned by the previous poster, the reason is clear. The vehicle's are virtually identical made in the same Sevel (Fiat) factory.

You used TWO KEY WORDS "virtually identical". Therefore presumably you agree that although they are made in the same factory they ARE NOT THE SAME. Also I understand that there has been a difference in the approach of Peugeot to any problems to that of Fiat.

In the light of the above I still feel it wrong to "lump" Fiat and Peugeot together.

In the light

mel wood - 2009-11-18 1:48 PM

Mike88 - 2009-11-18 1:37 PM

You used TWO KEY WORDS "virtually identical". Therefore presumably you agree that although they are made in the same factory they ARE NOT THE SAME. Also I understand that there has been a difference in the approach of Peugeot to any problems to that of Fiat.

In the light of the above I still feel it wrong to "lump" Fiat and Peugeot together.

In the light

They are exactly the same.

To Rupert 123

They ARE NOT identical so why do you say they are?

What experience do you have of either, preferably both?

We are pleased with our Peugeot Boxer 2.2 five speed box vehicle . As I have previously stated elsewhere on this forum we would have been delighted if the Auto-Sleepers conversion had been as good!

Nobody seems to mentioning the similar Citroen model. Admitedly not many are used as motorhome conversions but Romahome use them.

It's largely academic whether or not the 2.2litre motor installed in current Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot X250 vehicles is 'the same' as that used in FWD Transits. The reversing problems are evidently a consequence of the engine mountings and transmissions employed in the SEVEL vehicles and these are quite different to the Transit ones.

mel wood - 2009-11-19 11:42 AM

To Rupert 123

They ARE NOT identical so why do you say they are?

What experience do you have of either, preferably both?

We are pleased with our Peugeot Boxer 2.2 five speed box vehicle . As I have previously stated elsewhere on this forum we would have been delighted if the Auto-Sleepers conversion had been as good!

Nobody seems to mentioning the similar Citroen model. Admitedly not many are used as motorhome conversions but Romahome use them.

I have a 2.2 five speed Fiat which I am perfectly happy with, have said so many times on here. They are the same engine and gearbox, as Derek said who the hell cares who makes the units if one has a fault.

To the best of my knowledge, the same 2.2litre motor with 5-speed transaxle is used for all Citroen, Fiat and Peugeot X250 vehicles. This is also true for the 3.0litre motor with manual 6-speed transaxle. The 2.3litre motor with 6-speed transaxle is unique to Fiat X250s, while the 2.2litre motor with 6-speed transaxle is only fitted to Citroen- and Peugeot-badged variants. Ford builds the 2.2litre motor and supplies it to the SEVEL factory, but the versions used in SEVEL vehicles vary in output compared to the power-plants fitted to Transits.

A 2.2litre/5-speed Boxer (or Relay) is essentially a 'badge-engineered' Ducato, as is a 3.0litre/manual 6-speed Boxer/Relay. Provided that the Boxer/Relay has exactly the same specification as the Ducato regarding chassis and transmission, then they are, to all intents and purposes identical vehicles. If the chassis and/or transmission specification isn't the same, then the vehicles being compared aren't either.

mel wood - 2009-11-19 11:42 AM ............. Nobody seems to mentioning the similar Citroen model. Admittedly not many are used as motorhome conversions but Romahome use them.

Well, yes, but!  Should anyone expect to be taken seriously if they complain their Citroen won't reverse smoothly?  Might the clue be in the name, it is, after all, "Jumper".  :-)

It's strange but It was supposed to have been Henry J. Ford who said ' You can have any color(!) Ford you like,as long as it's Black' . It now seems it is the Motorcaravan Industry (especially in the UK) that is saying 'You can have any make of Motocaravan you like, as long as it's on an X250 base' .

It was arrogant of Henry J. Then (and only because his 'Black model T's' had almost market domination). And It's Arrogant of the UK motocaravan Industry Now. Henry J. HAD to start offering other colors(!) for his Automobiles to compete, hopefully the UK motorcaravan Industry will have to do the same ?? :D :D Ray

bobalobs - 2009-11-22 9:24 PM

In the same way converters chose the X250 for financial reasons! A rapid trawl of the discount van sites shows the 2.3 Fiat 120bhp at £13400 ex vat and VW crafter 136bhp at £20349 with the equivalent Mercedes even higher.

So it seems that if you can't get a motorhome on a decent Transit or Renault chassis now you are left with a cheap X250 that may or may not be a juddernaught or an expensive MBenz with detonating pistons and ultra expensive repairs! Hmmmm, seems a bit like 'Hobsons choice' now then.

Glad our origional Boxer is still performing wonderfully so we don't have to consider a new one, just hope the low emmision zones don't start to spread out!!

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2009-11-23 11:48 AM

bobalobs - 2009-11-22 9:24 PM

In the same way converters chose the X250 for financial reasons! A rapid trawl of the discount van sites shows the 2.3 Fiat 120bhp at £13400 ex vat and VW crafter 136bhp at £20349 with the equivalent Mercedes even higher.

So it seems that if you can't get a motorhome on a decent Transit or Renault chassis now you are left with a cheap X250 that may or may not be a juddernaught or an expensive MBenz with detonating pistons and ultra expensive repairs! Hmmmm, seems a bit like 'Hobsons choice' now then.

Glad our origional Boxer is still performing wonderfully so we don't have to consider a new one, just hope the low emmision zones don't start to spread out!!

Bas

kits are available in Germany to turn red to green :-D not cheap at 3900 euro but if they extend the life of a vehicle maybe worth looking at

http://tinyurl.com/yzhyrvd

Sorry to go slightly off topic but.

Hi Judge, thanks for that I was aware that there were available conversions in Germany which is fine for Germany albeit quite pricey. However if you look at the TfL LEZ site none of the ones that are available are approved for use in that zone (so you are still stuck with the restrictions even if your vehicle now complies with the lower levels) and the ones that are, are not currently available for use on campers or at a price that makes them feasable. So I don't know the way forward with this one as if you fit a system that brings you into the required level it may not be approved in current or any future requirement.

Sorry a bit confused to write but I hope you follow what I am saying.

Bas

Bas

Transit-based motorhomes are still be built by plenty of European converters (and the odd UK manufacturer) - it's just that you will no longer be able to buy one from Auto-Sleepers.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-11-23 7:06 PM

Bas

Transit-based motorhomes are still be built by plenty of European converters (and the odd UK manufacturer) - it's just that you will no longer be able to buy one from Auto-Sleepers.

... and current ones are already Euro 4 (German green sticker). I know "Euro 5" is already on the way, but I suspect it'll be a good few years before there are places where E4's can't go.

Archived