safe parking at Calais

momshoey

Cattwq

I think that I have answered you query in the post above yours. I cannot say about the cost (if any) for using the service point on the Aire, because we never have attempted to make use of it (not out of dislike, it's just that we have never needed to).

Michael

fjmike - 2009-11-18 6:37 PM

Peter42 - 2009-11-18 3:15 PM

I think I have mentioned this before on these pages, but my favourite place to hunker down for a few hours is at Franglais Vins, near Frethun. Take the A16 Autoroute toward Boulogne, leave the autoroute at the exit signposted 'Gare TGV' turn left onto the D215 and Franglaise Vin warehouse is the yellow low-rise building on your right. It closes to the public at 7pm (re-opens in the morning at 9 or 9.30). They welcome motohomes (but expect you to buy a bottle or two - no problem, they have a large range of booze). It is about 20 minutes from the ferry, very quiet and level. No security, but you are well out into the country, so should have no problems if you take normal precautions.

Just goes to show how one mans meat is anothers poison. We looked at the above for stopping and thought it most unsuitable. The parking area can be clearly seen from the autoroute, busy main road right next door and a busy railyard just the other side of the main road.As I said we felt that it wasn't right. I much prefer to stop at an aire not too far away at TARDINGHEN AIRE

1615 Route d'Ausques

La Ferme de l'Horloge

62 179 Tardinghen

Latitude : (Nord) 50.86281° Décimaux ou 50° 51' 46.116''

Longitude :(Est) 1.64907° Décimaux ou 1° 38' 56.652''

Peace and quiet, superb views in the morning, bread van in the morning and for us it feels right. OK it costs 5€ but worth every €

As you say, one man's meat, etc. But I did neglect to say that I wear hearing aids which, when taken off at night, means I hear very little. But 'er indoors never mentioned hearing any traffic or trains, tho' I did know they were not far away. ;-)

There is no confusion on my part !

I fail to see that a "camper stop" aire which quite often is in a built up area and what is in effect a car park is much safer.

Lets face it, even a site is not totally secure.

On a recent trip via the Eurotunnel, we was advised by a customs officer that he would not overnight any where near Calais.

Because of having no alternative, I have stayed over night on a municipal site that some of our neighbours appeared very dubious, while concerned, no problems.

Where ever you go, have you eyes open and be aware of your surroundings, but IMHO scare mongering is not helpful. As someone as already said "ones mans meat etc"

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-18 1:08 PM Use campsites or proper aires, stop driving while it is still light, plan accordingly, and there is no need for anyone to suffer theft or accident during overnight halts.

Excellant post Brian, it's not rocket science is it!!

"Use campsites or proper aires, stop driving while it is still light, plan accordingly, and there is no need for anyone to suffer theft or accident during overnight halts " Brian

This is incorrect, only a few weeks ago we meet a couple who had their bikes stolen off the back of their motorhome !

Oh they where parked at the "proper" Calais aire

Not rocket science, just no guarantees where ever you park, even on your own drive.

Roy

takeaflight - 2009-11-23 2:17 PM "Use campsites or proper aires, stop driving while it is still light, plan accordingly, and there is no need for anyone to suffer theft or accident during overnight halts " Brian This is incorrect, only a few weeks ago we meet a couple who had their bikes stolen off the back of their motorhome ! Oh they where parked at the "proper" Calais aire Not rocket science, just no guarantees where ever you park, even on your own drive. Roy

I think you are responding to a part quote, though, which has somewhat lost its context. 

Elsewhere in my full post, I had already said "the Aires de Services Camping Cars carry no greater security risk than would a camp site selected at random, and can be used with full confidence". 

The context was the relative risk of break in and robbery, and that remains significantly higher for autoroute rest/service areas, than for official aires camping-cars.

That should not really have been interpreted as meaning that by using aires one would be immune from theft.  After all, is that really possible anywhere?  Sad as it is, I don't doubt bikes have been stolen on campsites, or even from vans parked on private drives!

Besides all of which, the Calais aire (the one by the harbour), is a somewhat scruffy, noisy, poorly policed, unsecured, glorified urban car park.  The municipal camp site ain't much better, either, and the "guardien" (who doubles as the guardien of the aire) is a lazy sod, so I wouldn't consider either exactly a secure location to leave a van!  I'll get my own coat! :-)

"Was that recently ? we were talking to a couple on the Calais Aire in July and they said they had there,s taken the year before. The were parked at the back near the wall."

This was in September this year, we meet them at the Eurotunnel. Sadly off the back of a Hymer and the bikes were padlocked onto their rack. Reported it to the French Police, but I believe they was not over interested.

Just to clear up a possible misunderstanding, I personally wouldn't over night on a motorway service area. However this particular one I mentioned in my previous post I have used on many occasions, it's well lit, open 24hrs, more often than not, woke up to the area being full with other vans and caravans, a security van patrols throughout the night and being situated on a toll motorway, where generally there is police at many of the toll booths.

Sadly this does not make it 100% safe and I understand from other posters that they know of campers that have experienced thefts while parked here, so be aware !

Lookout for yourself, lookout for each other and have a safe journey.

Roy

Guest JudgeMental
If you value your bikes dont leave them on Fiamma style rack's (locked or not)take them of and using a proper gold rated lock and chain secure them to the chassis :-S

Thanks for the tip, will do Judge. Never thought of taking them off. Often wondered if I would wake in the morning and find the bikes and rack gone. After all it is only 4 10mm nuts to remove the rack complete with locks and bikes.

Mike

Still learning all of the time.

Mike

If the rack is fitted properly it should have bolts right through the motorhome's rear panel, and the part of the bolts on the exterior should be smooth so that they cannot be removed ... who fitted your rack?

We use 2 very good locks (one of which is a quality motorcycle enclosed chain lock) to secure our bikes to one of the bars that can't be removed without destroying the rack which would make a heck of a noise!

However, if anyone has worries about their bikes, please do check the restrictions for when they are covered by your insurance policy as some say that they must be "secured to an immovable object" ... a motorhome is NOT an immovable object as someone found out when they lost their expensive bikes I believe.

Archived