Miles per gallon etc

Rees

Our little Skoda diesel car has the usual electronic measure for diesel consumption per mile/kilometre. Our 2003 motorhome (Mirage 5000) just has the usual trip counter etc. How can I measure/work out diesel consumption per mile/kilometre? Is it possible to buy and fit a gadet that will do the same job as in our car?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles. Commercial drivers tend to be uninterested on the economy as someone else is paying for the fuel. Best method is to keep a log of mileage at each fill up if you really want to know.

I don,t know of a bolt on gissmow, does anybody else?

C.

Hi Rees

I have an excel spreadsheet that calculates the mpg & cost per mile, plus the total cost if it is any use to you.

It's based on "between fills" and you only need to enter the mileage, No. Litres and the cost.

It also gives a warning if the mpg falls dramatically.

Give me a PM if it is of interest to you.

Hi Rees why bother with a gizzmo when a pen and paper will do the same thing, many many years back our filler gauge went capoot so from that day on the wife recorded the litres and milage and still do to this day, you do not have to fill to the cap just put in what you want and let the readings accumalate, my records for our existing camper goes back 45 months and over 37,000 miles with the total litres so my mpg is exact to 2 decimal places, occassionaly I calc. for a small run, why do I do it because I like to now the consumption and it gives an idea if something is amiss if low milage occurs.

;-) ;-)

Rees

A GOOGLE search on "fuel consumption meter" retrieves this website:

http://www.envirogadget.com/automotive/plx-kiwi-mpg-car-fuel-consumption-meter

I've no idea if the gadget advertised could be fitted to your Mirage (though I wouldn't be optimistic).

As Tony says, there are several websites offering fuel consumption/running costs calculators. Examples are:

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

Hi - you would be far better to get a scangauge 11 meter which reads all the information off your vehicle computer, including any error codes

The American motorhomers all have these fitted and they give loads of information that is often not available on your existing gauges but is there waiting on the computer. Also gives things such as previous day or trip readings for milage, fuel used maximum revs, maximum speed (accurate), maximum temperature, the engine loading and a lot more things that I can't think of at the moment.

We fitted one in the spring, about £100, plug and play direct into the van computer socket. you calibrate the fuel on the first couple of fillups and then it is very very accurate ie to less than one litre on fillup. You will also find out why some of the supermarkets in France sell their diesel 5cent/litre less than other garages - if it looks too cheap- it is!! Every time we used them, we ended up between 5%-10% short of fuel.

Google Scangauge 11, excellent bit of kit and No I dont sell them

But then, I just wonder, what do you actually do with all that extra information?  Worry?

A level road, no head wind, top gear, and a sensible cruising speed have always, so far as I can remember, yielded the best fuel consumption.  Hills, low gears, headwinds, and high speeds increase fuel consumption.

So what will you do?  Refuse to climb hills, only drive where possible in top gear, or park until the wind changes?

Drive the bleedin' thing for Gawd's sake, and stop fussing about the effect that has on consumption.  When stationary, with the engine off, it uses no fuel - but you won't have much fun!  :-)

Brian, A question was asked, - I gave a sensible judged answer. Personally I prefer to Know if the engine temperature is rising, or the battery volts falling or if some French supermarket is ripping me off, however if you wish to plough on regardless and rely on the AA to rescue you, then that is your perogative!!

Michael

I know the gauge you are referring to, its more or less tells you at the speed your driving how many miles to the gallon your doing!! we had one in our Passat, but if you drive sensibly and take a note of your consumption you will soon adjust your driving to suit.

We find that the amount of fuel used per mile is irrelevant. We decide where to go and the cost is irrelevant.

There are many variations on how to drive one's Motor caravan to save on costs, it changes every day, the weather is one very active ingredient as has been described by Brian, the flow of traffic is another.

Some while ago, in an aerodynamically designed car and enclosed in a tight stream of traffic, we were almost free wheeling at 95 mph. Our fuel indicator was topping 130 mpg.

What does that tell us, only the present reading? Most engine manufacturers publish their test results with the best mpg figures obtained at app; 56 mph. Any deviation from the magical figure of 56 will add to costs.

If one purchases any additional mpg features then this should be added to the overall fuel management costs.

wooly - 2009-11-21 3:27 PM Brian, A question was asked, - I gave a sensible judged answer. Personally I prefer to Know if the engine temperature is rising, or the battery volts falling or if some French supermarket is ripping me off, however if you wish to plough on regardless and rely on the AA to rescue you, then that is your perogative!! Michael

A trifle tetchy, perhaps?  The question was actually about measuring fuel consumption.  My answer was aimed at that question. 

No, I don't plough on and wait for the AA. 

The van has a temperature gauge, so keeps me informed on that score.

Other engine etc functions are monitored and, if they deviate, warnings are displayed.  Do I really need more? 

One can't actually do anything about pump readings after one has filled, can one?  At home, yes, but touring?  They do all vary a little, but I know of no gauge that can measure the volume of fuel in a tank more accurately than a pump meter can measure what it has dispensed.  So, in my opinion, super accurate calculations based on the output of a less than accurate sender unit will be, well, er, less than accurate?  I just note mileage, and volume bought, and then aggregate the MPG by dividing total mileage by total volume: 28.75 MPG over 19,640 miles to date.

We've done 20K miles around Europe in the past two years, and nothing has happened to persuade me that I need to know more than "our Henry" has decided to tell me!  However, each to his own.  :-)

Brian - Tetchy - Moi! We filled up in the dales last week, Even attended service, told lady fill it up- 58 litres should do it - She managed 58.8 and looked very shocked at how i knew. My understanding is that problems can arise at some petrol stations in hotter climes if the pumps aren't temperature adjusted, all I know is that at one supermarket chain that has 24hr pumps we seemed short fueled every time.

The one advantage with the scanguage is that it uses actual speed and actual milage - not the figures on the speedo which are 10% wrong, your 28mpg suddenly comes down to 25mpg- not so good? The real figures are in the computer, but it shows the 10% adjusted ones.

I agree very much that life is far too short to worry about every litre of fuel used, I am more than happy to sit on the motorways in france at 125kph just to get the miles eaten up if necessary. In fact I am so concerned that I haven't even worked out the average for our last 2000mile jaunt in France - unlike you I note.

Guest Tracker
Brian Kirby - 2009-11-21 2:51 PM

But then, I just wonder, what do you actually do with all that extra information?  Worry?

That's a bit unkind Brian? I realise that it was very much tongue in cheek in the best traditions of the forum but maybe newer participants have not had the time to catch up with our brand of humour?Whilst I personally feel no need for all this extra information I can understand that there are those who do - just as I never felt the need to get an education whilst there are those who never stop learning!

lord braindrop - if you had bothered to read my post or perhaps that is beyond you, you will find that I answered the origional question that others in your little clique seemed to be struggling to answer. the question being whether there was a device, as in his Skoda to give extra information which his present van didn't at present.

I at no time intimated that I used the information from the guage to try to save fuel, considering 50% of the time I am towing a 3 tonne trailer (legally) that would be quite difficult.

I remember now why I stopped using this forum. its a pity some peoples lifes are so empty that their only enjoyment is from sniping at others who are giving genuine help to genuine questions. I wont bother again.

The Scangauge II advert suggests that Rees's motorhome may be too old for that device to work, and I'm also doubtful about the PLX-Kiwi gizmo I mentioned. It's obviously something that would need to be checked before forking out hard-earned cash.

(I note that the Scangauge product is claimed to provide an accurate mph read-out - a feature that might make it worth having if one acquires a compatible LHD imported vehicle with kmh-only speedometer.)

How long is a piece of string?? as I mere female :-S Ill tell you what I know, it depends on your engine size, your fuel,/diesel/petrol, ?? how you drive e.g. on the brake! or gear change etc; we have a 2.8 diesel and dependent on conditions /lots of stops traffic lights etc; on a good run we average between 28-30 mpg,not being an expert I can only say to you fill it up do a run and then do your sums!

Should this thread be renamed 'Grumpy old men having a pop at each other' thread????? :-S

I record the mileage, litres to fill up, and cost every time we ... fill up! This is very useful, as has already been suggested, to see if we are staying 'on track' with our normal usage, or if it is going a bit awry (ie right foot too heavy on the pedal!).

Our figures swing anywhere between our worst of 20.50 (over 315 miles) to our best of 27.65 (over 938 miles), overall thought we tend to average around 23-24 mpg. As we have a large van, plus my hubby doesn't do 'slow' and we like to do some nice twisty up and down mountain roads, its not too bad at all, and even with our previous Rapido 709F (..... I still miss him .... so cute! :D) , we only got around 25mpg and that was much smaller.

Guest Tracker

Err not quite. Our Peugeot Boxer 2006 is about 70 litres tankful but you would need to be pretty brave or foolhardy to run it below about 5 litres especially abroad.

On that basis a tankful of diesel, say 65 litres costs about £70 at today's Asda price of about £1.09 per litre of diesel. If going to France or Spain the equivalent in ball park figures will be about 70 Euros - more or less.

If your van does say 28 mpg which is what you would expect from a gentle touring speed on uncluttered roads that gives you a range of about 400 miles but you would be very brave or foolhardy to bank on it without watching the fuel gauge very closely.

In practise it's best to fill up whenever you see fuel at a sensible price after the tank gets to about half full. More stops maybe but what's the rush?

If you expect to tour about a lot rather than sit on a site all week you can expect to guestimate about double the mileage distance of the direct route from home to furthest destination as a likely total mileage covered. Well it works for us - more or less and does at least give you an initial fuel budget estimation point if you need one.

Archived