'garage'storage solutions-any ideas?

yeti

I've been looking at motorhomes with garages,some of them are as big as sheds or even garages. The more reasonably sized ones can take bicycles,scooters or motorbikes,even dogs!!

Apart from these machines how do people arrange storage and what do they put in them,apart from the aformentioned vehicles.

any ides on storage solutions or racking etc.

my garage is over two levels - directly in from the doors is a level loading area that fits the scooter and in front of it, about a foot higher up is a level area perhaps two feet wide - I attached an extra side to this (along the frontage) by using 4mm mdf clamped to the two uprights with u-clamps and have the area filled with about five plastic boxes of just the right length - these have lids and can stack on top of each other. There is a small lip (about 4in x 4in which carries the blown air heating ducts and piping) which is unused and I have toyed with some form of storage for this area - but that would involved drilling into the internal walls and I haven't needed the storage! Everything is stored in plastic tubs, which keeps it all neat and tidy!

What, I hear you ask, do I store in the garage?

Well, ordinarily, I have a small toolkit, some games (both indoor and outdoor), two 5l diesel cans (for the motorhome), 4 litres of oil and a 5l petrol can (for the scooter), plus a spare duvet and sheets. WHen travelling, the scooter resides there too, as well as two bikes - and that pretty much covers the 150kg allowance for weight in the garage.

Of course, on the way back from France, I have carried lots of booze in there too, as well as the non-perishable foodstuffs from a supermarket trip in France.

I have fitted a veneered panel in the garage of my hymer and made a hanging area for extra clothes for long term trips, we also have 4 large plastic storage boxes there for jumpers and extra clothing. I keep a spin dryer and plastic washing machine ,chairs ,table ,tool box,extra food stuff in plastic boxes and miscellaneous junk , all needed, in the garage.Our bikes are on the carrier at the rear of the van, and all is Tickity Boo, I love the garage and high bed configuration,and hate stuff inside the van that belongs outside.the double floor offers lots of storage and the Beanie boxes are great, I am very aware of weight and I don't think I carry anything that's not needed en voyage. *-) *-)

First thing is to check the load limit for the garage: they are not necessarily that generous.  Second thing is consider that, almost by definition, garage layouts have longish rear overhangs.  So, all load will be behind the rear wheels, meaning the load on the rear axle will be greater than the load installed in the garage, and some load will be taken from the front wheels.  Probably OK with RWD, but can be problematic for FWD, especially on wet, uphill, starts!  Final point, that longish overhang can be a grounding problem, so air assistance may be desirable to "keep yer tail up".

I carry the spare wheel flat on the garage floor.  Above this, on an aly frame, are three large, flat, lidded, plastic, Ikea storage boxes.  These contain spare bedding, spare clothing, and walking boots, rucksacks, vacuum cleaner, spare toilet rolls, kitchen towel, etc etc.  Outdoor table and chairs are also carried on the frame.  A folding crate sits on the floor inside the main, large, nearside (LHD) hatch, and holds spare bottles of wine and water.  Two folding bikes sit above this, secured to the rear wall. 

Inside the secondary, smaller, hatch are two square, stacking, buckets that contain spare waste bags, windscreen wash, and cleaning materials.  Beside these are the levelling ramps.  A folding, wheeled, shopping bag on wheels is strapped to the rear wall.  Tools and water hoses live in a locker above the Truma Combi heater, which is also accessible via this hatch.  The hook-up cable sits on the floor just inside the hatch.  There is no direct access between van and garage.

Oh, yes!  And the rear axle is within its limit, although I have fitted "air rides" to cure slight droopy tail syndrome.

Below is a photo of the same rear garage layout as I have in my van.

I have some chest freezer baskets into which stuff is put which are located in the centre of the raised area immediately at the rear of the door through to camper habitation area (look at right of picture). These are good for stuff that I need to grab occasionally such as watering can, filler etc. On top these the external screens are stored so I can get at them easily from inside the van if necessary.

I also have some smaller plastic lidded boxes into which other stuff goes that doesn't need to be accessed so easily. To stop it all falling off the raised area, it is all held in place by some very large bungee straps, and large stretchy mesh cargo holders with lots of hooks on that go into loops which I've attached at various intervals using the existing screws, pushed behind the supports (side and top), or through the existing eyelets on the floor. I also have one of these mesh cargo holders fastened across the underside of the bed base (ie the top of the garage), into which lightweight flat items can be put, such as the striped board for the cycle rack when it's not in use but which could be damaged easily if just left in the garage with the other stuff.

At the very rear offside I have more of these bungee straps which are used to secure tables, 'hang-on window' clothes airer etc to the back wall - they sit nicely on the small raised lip so don't 'scuttle' about on the floor of the garage (see left in the picture). At the opposite side of the rear, I use large bungee straps to secure our bikes whilst they are in the garage, it keeps them tight up against the internal rear wall so they don't make a break for freedom every time we go round a corner!

Anything long, such as the windbreak and winding pole for the awning, are located at the bottom of the garage (on the right below the raised area) - to secure them I've run a taut strap between the two tie down eyelets and wrap bungees round this and the items, to keep them in place - they've never moved yet.

Our chairs are usually stood upright on their legs - they go into a 'tube' not your normal collapsible type as they are very stable like this) and are just bungeed to one of the uprights - makes getting stuff in and out of the van much easier as they are not laid on top of anything or in the way.

Garage.jpg.1897a8676e29418c4fb6e83cc4d80044.jpg

I gave up caravanning because of all the stuff we used to cart around. Now we find for three weeks in a motorhome - maximum time we can get off work, we have too much storage space even without a garage. We have a couple of empty cupboards and lockers.

I would be tempted by a garage when we retire, especially if we had bicycles or had time to go away for longer than 3 weeks.

Apart from the DIY approach, you will find a number of commercial body fitters produce units of different sizes to slot into vans. Many use peg board. modular boxes, and even work benches. For inspiration, look at:

http://www.vanbitz.co.uk/index.asp

Guest Tracker

I don't have this problem with my van's garage 'cos it ain't got one!

But if it did I would seriously consider they plastic stacking storage boxes and trays, with and without lids, that the DIY shops sell?

Having carefully measured the space and having carefully bought boxes to fit - hopefully that will still enable those at the back to be slid out for access - it should not be too hard to devise and fit retaining panels / runners / batons etc.

Well that's the theory anyway!

Our garage is not large compared to many & is primarily for the wife's mobility scooter & wheelchair.

Along with these we use plastic stacking boxes for usual stuff - Outdoor Chairs & Table, Shoes, Tools & bits, EHU cable, Water filler hose, Fishing box & Rods, Fishing shelter, Ramps, etc.

We also have a Milford Hoist which also goes in there.

Have fitted some clips for Awning wind out and Umbrellas (easy access).

Despite all the gear we can still keep well within the rear axle weight limit (& also the Garage limit)

The stacking Plastic boxes are a must IMHO. There is a vast range of sizes available so that you can ensure optimum storage.

Lord Raindrop - 2009-11-23 7:48 PM

I recently talked to a commercial trader, his garage was solid with boxes of shoes, not an inch to spare, "more than 600 in there" he said.

MelB. do you have a picture when the garage is full? This might give a better indication for those seeking ideas.

I did think of that when I posted but its been raining virtually non-stop since!!!! If the weather's okay tomorrow, I'll have a go in the afternoon as I' won't be at work so can take some photos in the light.

I also use soft bags too, so that when they are not needed (ie if they had some 'used' stuff in them, such as food, materials or clothes) they can be squished and packed away or re-used for dirty washing etc. If you wanted, you could also use some lightweight suitcases for larger stuff as it would make it easier to get them in and out - we used to do this when we had a tent to packed all of the camping chattels into, it kept them nice and clean and tidy and was a nice 'coffee' table too on site! :D

I use large clear plastic stacking boxes with velcro strips on the garage's shelves and each box's base and/or lid to stop them moving about. These hold spare clothing, bedding, bike protective gear and charging kit, domestic supplies, awning ground sheet etc.

Tool clips secure picnic table, umbrellas, walking sticks awning mallet etc. to walls. Marine rope cleats - the plastic, friction/quick release type - are used to secure heavier items such as the camping kitchen, recliner chairs and hook-up leads. Electric bike is secured to floor using Fiamma rack, steels eyes and cambuckle belts. A multi-pocket car boot tidy is fixed to the end wall nearest the door and provides easy access to all manner of bits and pieces such as water, gas and electric adaptors/connectors/spanners, awning pegs, storm ties, repair compounds etc.

Bob

Archived