Dashboard Video Camera

tonyishuk

tonyishuk - 2009-11-23 8:20 PM

Anyone played with one of these (or similar) ??

Rgds

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the word "played".

They are very much in the toy category. A camera with a 1/4 CMOS light sensor will give you low quality images.

I can't think what you would use it for, they are designed to record the people inside a vehicle. We have sold better quality systems to taxidrivers etc who want something smaller and more robust.

Henry's is reputable company, the ebay seller is in Hong Kong so carriage cost are expensive.

I have heard stories of people who have bought CCTV stuff from the far east and been disappointed. It is not unheard of for people to receive a lower spec. model than they ordered. Sure the seller offers a refund on the goods, but not the carriage. We will no doubt now be inudated with people talking about their good experiences of far east ebay purchases, all I'm saying is be careful.

I have considered a camera to record the idiots who consistently carve me up. Especially those who overtake then cut across to an exit slip!!!

It could be set to run or operated by the passenger,I can't see that as being illegal.

breakaleg - 2009-11-24 2:02 PM

Not sure on the legality side, if you have a camera on your house, it is only supposed to capture your garden and not the footpath, but i bet the police would soon knock your door if there was an incident in the street and your camera captured it.

pete

A camera on your house can capture images from the road and pavement area outside your property and is allowed under the Data Protection Act.

If the camera captures images from your neighbours properties then there is a requirement to register under the Data Protection Act. The problem is if the camera picks up images of your neighbours and/or their children on their property and especially if you want to record/store these images and make them available on-line for any reason.

Do you make the camera covert or obvious? If obvious then all you are likely to record is criminal activity by people in balaclavas or other disguise and probably approaching the camera with a scaffold pole or length of wood to move or destroy the camera.

As far as the original question about cameras in vehicles. The use of these will be similar to using any other device such as mobile phones etc. If the camera is fixed and used for recording, without intervention from the driver while driving, then there is no problem. Systems are available that use these type of cameras for insurance purposes capturing information of accidents etc. We use a camcorder on a fixed windscreen mount and operated by the passenger with a remote controller, to record journeys. It is obviously important for the mount to be in a position that minimises the risk of injury in a collision.

If in any doubt about the legality and use of camera systems may I suggest that talking to the Data Protection Commission, the Police, VOSA and possibly ROSPA should give all the required information.

Regards,

Mike.

The camera detailed in the original post is for looking at the inside of a vehicle.

It has Infra -Red LEDs for night time vision. Shining these at a windscreen will just bounce back the IR beam and give you an image of the windscreen.

Cameras are available without IR which you can use to record your journey. You will need good quality to capture images when dark.

In terms of legality, they are mobile, not fixed so I doubt there is a problem.

A camera on your house can capture images from the road and pavement area outside your property and is allowed under the Data Protection Act.

Do you make the camera covert or obvious? If obvious then all you are likely to record is criminal activity by people in balaclavas or other disguise and probably approaching the camera with a scaffold pole or length of wood to move or destroy the camera.

Regards,

Mike.

Leeds City Council cameras are obvious but still managed to provide evidence to solve over 3000 crimes in the period April 2008-April 2009.

Most criminals do not notice cameras

Thanks for your replies, I note comments regarding the cameras being more used for recording passenger movements.

One of the sites showed a video, of it being used for recording (forward facing) journeys, thats why I picked up on the particlar cameras.

Albi, offered advice re quality, Its seems that you may be in the "Know"

Are there suitable, cheap cctv cameras which could be used ? The object of the exercise is similar to insurance, having it, hopefully you do not have to use it ! And it could saw a lot of bother if involved in an accident.

Rgds

Not sure on the legality side, if you have a camera on your house, it is only supposed to capture your garden and not the footpath, but i bet the police would soon knock your door if there was an incident in the street and your camera captured it.

pete

For a number of reasons (all members of the same family) we have invested a lot in CCTV cameras on our house. The first ones we put up ourselves, believing the above and lost a chance to get the blighter concerned. >:-( We then upgraded and, after advice from the Police, had them covering the pavement too - unfortunately the date & time covered the face of one of the same clan so evidence couldn't be used! >:-( We splashed out on the best we could afford - again! and sited them as advised by the local Police - covering both sides of the road (including the pavements) and some way up the road in each direction - BINGO .....got the footage needed and the main culprit has moved away (with his criminal record...) and peace reigns again. (for now :-S )

The advice given (& views checked by the Police at set up time) was that as long as the cameras do not point at peoples' doorways or windows, and we have the footage only for our own protection and evidence, we are legal. Yes, they do knock on our door asking for footage if there is an accident or incident that we may have covered and yes, they have used it for prosecution purposes - not breaching the data protection act as the cameras are VERY visible and the Police are the only other people who have ever seen any footage......

tonyishuk - 2009-11-24 7:21 PM

Thanks for your replies, I note comments regarding the cameras being more used for recording passenger movements.

One of the sites showed a video, of it being used for recording (forward facing) journeys, thats why I picked up on the particlar cameras.

Albi, offered advice re quality, Its seems that you may be in the "Know"

Are there suitable, cheap cctv cameras which could be used ? The object of the exercise is similar to insurance, having it, hopefully you do not have to use it ! And it could saw a lot of bother if involved in an accident.

Rgds

There are no cheap and really good CCTV cameras. Have a look at professional vehicle cameras here:

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/acatalog/Vehicle_Cameras_and_Monitors.html

or

http://www.2seetv.co.uk/acatalog/Cameras___Micro_and_Hidden.html

The board or OXO cube cameras can be mounted on the forward facing part of the rearview mirror.

You still need a recording device.

This probably makes the £50 camera from Henry's appear good value - if you can live with the very low resolution (320 x 244) and what seems like a narrow viewing angle from the sample video.

Archived