CTEK or Battery Master

Coachman

Think i could do with one of these but not sure which or if any. Suffered first flat battery caused by new ALDI radio wiring and do not want to have that happen again. My thoughts were the CTEK XS7000 looks good regarding it can regenerate a battery to its max' power where it seem the other only tops it up. Mind you was it C. Mott that done that cheap and easy one of the fuse connecting up the lesuire battery to main one on ehu?. Any thoughts on this ?.

Do you keep your motorhome within reach of a hookup point? If yes then the on board charger should keep your battery healthy. If no then the CTEK will be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike! Batterymaster will only pass a trickle charge from leisure to engine battery if the leisure is in a higher state of charge, in other words if you don't have some means of charging the leisure battery (EHU or solar) then the battery master is not going to solve your problem either.

From what little you have said it would appear the problem lies in the wiring to your radio. Is it wired so you can use it on site but still powered from engine battery (i.e. permanent live and ignition switched wired together to permanent live)? If so then that is the root cause of your problem and the best course of action would be to correct the wiring to the radio.

D.

Hi Dave, yes its on ehu most of the time at home. This wiring as you say is the problem. The red and yellow wires have been connected together and is not supplied by the ignition switch. The wiring diagram say's connect red wire to ignition but this meand no radio when at rest, yellow is for memory.

Re the Aldi radio , are you meaning the one that was on sale last month.If so so how was this wired in as i have one of these and i wired to run from the leisure battery, so far no problem Also i wired the red and yellow wires together with the white wire for the light

Re ALDI radio, yes it is the one from last month . All i done was connected up to the existing wiring as the last radio caused no problem. Re, the white wire , i do not know where that is connected and yes the red and yellow are joined together, but as i said earlier the red is not to ignition.

There are two positive voltage connections to modern car radios. One is a permanent live feed and this is what provides the power, the second positive connection is only live when the ignition is on and this simply gives a signal to the radio to come on when the ignition is on. If you wire both together to a permanent live then the radio will draw more current, even when switched off and can therefore soon flatten a battery. SOME radios shot down completely when the face plate is removed but not all.

A few steps to rewire your radio to get the best from it:

1/ wire the permanent live from your leisure battery.

2/ fit a diode into the ignition switched connection.

3/ fit a remote switch somewhere convenient in the living area.

4/ connect your new remote switch to the ignition switched connection on the radio side of the diode and if this switch is fed from your leisure battery fit a diode in it as well.

5/ don't forget to use appropriately rated fuses for both the permanent feed and the remote switch feed.

With this setup you retain the auto on/off with ignition feature but you can also switch the radio on or off from the living area switch.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This will not work with the new X2/50 van's if they are fitted with the standard Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen radio unit.

D.

Archived