The friendly club ?

teflon2

rupert123 - 2009-11-27 5:02 PM Brian just because I, or anyone else, disagree's about something it is not usually because we want all others to agree. From my own point of view I am interested in why somebody should do something that I feel does not make much sense. Now to me aires do not make much sense because, apart from anything else, most of the better ones now seem to charge around 7 Euro's. This year I spent a total of 12 weeks in France in my van and averaged just under 12 euro per night staying at campsites on all but four nights. Now the small price differance, for what you get, does not make sense. I agree completely with the rest of your post and your reasons given for staying on sites are entirely in line with mine. This year for example my wife and I spent about ten days in the Tarn and Jonte gorges, I did not see one aire I would have stayed on but perhaps someone can put me right here. RobertandJean over to you.

Wasn't having a "pop" at you Henry, or anyone else in particular.  I agree that if we never ask others why they do something, we never learn new ways. 

All I was intending to highlight is the way the "siters" and the "airers" seem so entrenched in their camps, with each pouring barely disguised scorn on the others preferences.  It gets a bit like the wars of religion at times!

Cracks such as "free loaders" from the one camp, and not being "in the spirit of motorhoming" from the other camp, tend to cause the outbreak of minor wars.  There are a few overstated prejudices in the string, and I find it rather silly and tedious, so I had a little rant!

I agree that, overall, sites aren't really that much more expensive, but even if aires were all free, I'd still sooner have a site with its grass, but especially with its facilities.  Besides which, I rather like the chance meetings over the washing up, and the opportunity to wander around and chat to people.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robert and Jean, thanks both will do just that next year. Only have one more trip this year and that will be a short one to York for Christmas shopping. Then it is off to the Alps for January, not in van, home Feb. back to the Alps in March, after that decide on our main trips for the summer, will be on to you then. Thanks again for listening and your useful response, you may even convert me.

Tracker - 2009-11-27 8:50 PM

I am so p*ssed off with Henry's continual assertions that his way is the only right way that I am not going to answer him further on this subject except to say that it has been many years since we stopped on an Aire that required payment - there are plenty of free ones especially away from the coast!

For crying out load Henry get a life and stop criticising everyone who prefers a different style of camping to your own!

Sorry Rich but have read my posts again and was not aware I criticised anyone. As for my way being the only way, well of course it is.

george, henry, frank, rich

where do all these names keep coming from

have noticed an almost Pavlovian response from certain users on certain topics

critique of clubs - get in there

critique of aires - get in there

so much nicer and more useful to get a considered unbiased response to a topic - so thanks Brain, robertandjean and others of independent mind, a useful discussion is possible

duffers - 2009-11-27 10:01 PM

....have noticed an almost Pavlovian response from certain users on certain topics

critique of aires - get in there....

+ predictable knee-jerk reaction to anything connected with Fiat/Peugeot, motorhome manufacturers (choose UK or 'foreign' according to taste), motorhome dealers generally and Brownhills particularly, nationalities, budgerigars, forums, forum members, spelling, driving competence....

We use caravan club a lot and love it.Yes there has been the odd awkward warden but most are pleasant and the sites are pleasant with clean good quality facilities.The CCC runs a scheme for people who are wild camping. For, I think,£4 you can use showers, waste disposal, fill up with water and usewashing machines.You are allowed about 4 hours.As for the aires versus campsites.Well, we are boring and use sites as we find, particularly the municiples and sites with the ACSI card to be so good and such good value.We tend to use the site facilites particularly the showers.I wouldn't say we would never stay in an aire though, and basically each to their own.Both sites also run and heavily publicize their 5 van sites.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-11-28 8:09 AM

duffers - 2009-11-27 10:01 PM

....have noticed an almost Pavlovian response from certain users on certain topics

critique of aires - get in there....

+ predictable knee-jerk reaction to anything connected with Fiat/Peugeot, motorhome manufacturers (choose UK or 'foreign' according to taste), motorhome dealers generally and Brownhills particularly, nationalities, budgerigars, forums, forum members, spelling, driving competence....

Absolutely right Derek !

( I will now think of them as the regular 'K-J' contributors).

;-)

I was about to take Tracker on and ask what is wrong with good old fashioned puddings like jam roly poly, treacle sponge and the like but will stick to the original (and supplementary issues) thread of 'The Friendly Club'

We have been members of both main clubs for some years but I have to say we tend to nearly always use the CC ones in preference to either C&CC or independent sites. This is due mainly to past experiences - average on C&CC and pretty bad on the (few) independent sites we have visited.

It always seems that there is more of a consistency about the level of facilities and their quality on CC sites whereas the C&CC ones tend to vary quite considerably. We also have experienced poor customer service from the some managers at C&CC sites but never on CC ones.

Just to touch on the subject of aires I am broadly appreciative of them (and have been pro-active in supporting their establishment in this country) but we always tend to use them more as a place to stopover on the way to somewhere and use sites for the main part of our trip. Again, the experience so far has been that they vary considerably and we have been fortunate enough to stay in beautiful surroundings within easy reach of the village or town and have the benefit of good service facilites to boot - on the other hand, we have also experienced camping on what could only be described as a car park with two feet of space between the vans and nowhere to go!!

One of the main attractions of a motorhome is the ease with which you can move on and find somewhere better.

David

Budgerigars? Budgerigars! If you’ve got a problem with Budgerigars Derek, spit it out!

Regards PKC

Budgerigars? Budgerigars! If you’ve got a problem with Budgerigars Derek, spit it out!

Regards PKC

rupert123 - 2009-11-27 9:46 PM

Robert and Jean, thanks both will do just that next year. Only have one more trip this year and that will be a short one to York for Christmas shopping. Then it is off to the Alps for January, not in van, home Feb. back to the Alps in March, after that decide on our main trips for the summer, will be on to you then. Thanks again for listening and your useful response, you may even convert me.

YORK YORK!!!! am I seeing things 8-) what YEAR did you manage to book that one??

maggyd - 2009-11-28 7:47 PM

rupert123 - 2009-11-27 9:46 PM

YORK YORK!!!! am I seeing things 8-) what YEAR did you manage to book that one??

I have said this on here before, telephone about 9.30am to site direct. I looked on the CC website on Monday and as usual no spaces, telephoned York Tuesday morning and was offered a choice of quite a few differant days so booked 19-22 no problem. They had space early in December and every day from 17 up to Christmas eve.

The only time that has worked :-S ringing up last min; we were told YES but we will have to allocate you a site O.K. I said :-S never again!! we were put beside the service area in the overflow field looking at a brick wall and having motorhomes reversing up beside us all the time!! OH and we paid the same as everyone else for this privilege. No next time Im going to book up months ahead and cancel if we cant make it !! like others seem to be doing.

maggyd - 2009-11-28 9:53 PM

The only time that has worked :-S ringing up last min; we were told YES but we will have to allocate you a site O.K. I said :-S never again!! we were put beside the service area in the overflow field looking at a brick wall and having motorhomes reversing up beside us all the time!! OH and we paid the same as everyone else for this privilege. No next time Im going to book up months ahead and cancel if we cant make it !! like others seem to be doing.

I have done this for the last three years and got on every time, always with the normal choice of pitch you get with CC.

rupert123 - 2009-11-29 12:03 AM

maggyd - 2009-11-28 9:53 PM

I have done this for the last three years and got on every time, always with the normal choice of pitch you get with CC.

We will have to try this then :-S the Warden told me when I complained about never being able to get on, she said "ring about 10.30am that is when the cancellations usually happen"

duffers - 2009-11-27 10:01 PMgeorge, henry, frank, richwhere do all these names keep coming fromhave noticed an almost Pavlovian response from certain users on certain topicscritique of clubs - get in therecritique of aires - get in thereso much nicer and more useful to get a considered unbiased response to a topic - so thanks Brain, robertandjean and others of independent mind, a useful discussion is possible

I find that duffers' writing has a familiar style. Can we add crinklystarfish to that list of names?

Hi,

just to get back 'on Track' Do the C& C.C. live up to their name of being the 'Friendly Club' ? I think someone in Head Office should remind the 'Troops at the sharp end' who pays their wages (the Customers Ultimately !! and I'm not saying we are always right.) A friendly smile goes a long way. An 'Oh No, a motorhome !' makes you feel less than welcome.

Ray

Tracker - 2009-11-30 11:25 AM

The weekend rallies and temporary holiday sites certainly, in my experience, well live up to the name of 'the friendly club'.

As one who has arranged both weekend Meets and T.H.S.'s, it's nice to know we Stewards are appreciated by the members. Thank You, Tracker.

There will plenty of room at the Rowntree Park site for the next couple of days.

We had to get off the site Monday morning because the river was due to fill the site by that evening.

You might find that you won't need to book, and just turn up,and perhaps the warden won't be there to moan at you for not booking.

Guest Tracker
Peter42 - 2009-11-30 2:30 PM

Tracker - 2009-11-30 11:25 AM

The weekend rallies and temporary holiday sites certainly, in my experience, well live up to the name of 'the friendly club'.

As one who has arranged both weekend Meets and T.H.S.'s, it's nice to know we Stewards are appreciated by the members. Thank You, Tracker.

I too speak from the experience of arranging and running a weekend meet!

Archived