questions regards Panel van conversions

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

when I change the present van I may consider a PVC, something like the Hymer Car 322. But I was wondering what are they like to sleep in in a hot climate, surely a properly insulated small coachbuilt must be cooler do you think? Also when sleeping in rear are the doors draughty at all? and can you get a flyscreen for rear doors and side sliding door.

there are so many models of PVC vans avalaible now, Has any one got a favorite manafacturer and why please. I kinda like the Hymer because you can spec it with a 97L fridge,120 litre fuel tank and 3500kg chassis (some only 3300kg)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think insulation must be a matter for the converter. My Autosleeper Duetto was very well insulated and there were absolutely no drafts from the sliding or rear doors. In the heat the vehicle was fine. There was a massive Hekki though and I would look out for one with plenty of roof ventilation for very hot nights in the Med.

As for a flyscreen it is possible to rig up something but I haven't seen anything purpose built. On a couple of occasions on the Camargue we used our Fiamma Sunblocker ( made out of a plasticised net fabric) when the blind was not in use but we did not bother that often because when the weather is hot you live outside. I haven't seen a flyscreen for a rear door either but it wouldn't be that difficult to devise something.

Insulation on some PVC’s is not what they make out. It also will depend which layout you want a Rear fixed bed or one to make up daily. Also do you want a PVC where the kitchen unit blocks half the side sliding door entrance? I bought a tribute 650 because it was the closest to our required lay out a fairly large sitting out area that we can lounge out in. as stated before seen no commercial blinds on sale .an extendable pole and some net curtain does the job. Hot weather we usually sit out side under the roll out awning. It’s the same old story you gets what you paid for, Then again what base vehicle do you want?. that will limit your choices on layouts.Do you use the normal dealership or go for one that that will build the inside to your requirments and ?...judgemental could become a mentaljudge trying toochoose which van, which layout..... good hunting

Guest JudgeMental

which are poorly insulated? obstructed side door layout seems to be the only way to accommodate a kitchen unit. prefer the rear tilt up bed, then I can accommodate bikes on crossings rather then pay for extra length. It seems that most who have responded no longer own a PVC why is that?:-S It is the convenience of use that appeals, parking etc...Plus the wife would drive as well, she wont drive the coach built *-)

We have slept in one (a Euramobil) at our Belgian dealer while warranty work carried out on our van. sleeping was OK. But very narrow passage... did not lounge around at all and this will probably be the biggest downside. but probably not a lot tighter then a van style coach built of the same length.....

I'm awaiting delivery of a panel van to replace my previous one. Panel vans are becoming incredibly popular. At the shows you have to queue up to get in one whereas there does not seem much interest in the others.

All the dealers I spoke to said that demand was so great that there was a fairly long waiting list for new ones.

For two people a panel van is ideal. In the summer you live outdoors so do not need much space and in the winter there is ample space for lounging around. You can drive down virtually any road and fit in car parks comfortably. You don't have the worry of water leaks either and boy have I had trouble with these in the past with caravans. The downside is storage but this has not been a problem for us as we don't want to carry around loads of stuff we will not use. If you are a trolley jack and generator user a panel van is not for you.

I would not get a foldaway bed just so you can store bikes. Whatever panel van you buy it will still come in at less than 6 metres even with a bike rack . In fact even if you went slightly over the ferry people would not be concerned. In any event ferries are cheap and to buy a particular type of van in the belief that you will save on ferries is not a great idea.

The ideal combo for two people is a rear lounge with 2x6ft+ beds for day lounging and sleeping but with the option of converting into a double. I prefer singles because in the Med its too hot to sleep in a double and I must confess to needing to get up in the night for a visit to the Thetford. That is not that easy in a double.

Its of course down to personal choice but that is the road I have gone down.

We had a la strada Regent L based on the Sprinter, unusual in that the main bed was in the roof. A bit claustrobic at first but we soon got used to it. No making of the bed just had to release the catch and pull, it needed a four/five step ladder but it was never a problem even in the "wee" small hours.

We had the van for 8 years (having bought it when it was 2yrs old ) and eventually changed to something bigger. I wanted a better shower and bathroom to reduce our reliance on campsites. I also wanted to store our bikes inside, out of the weather.

It wasn't used in cold weather but the heating worked fine in the spring and autumn and it was very cosy, no draught from anywhere.

For continental summers in Italy and Southern france we used an office fan when on hookup to keep us cool at night, and to keep some air moving.

The rear doors opened to servicing points and hidden storage and allowed some long items to be carried thro a "ski" hatch which was about 18 x 12".

Altogether a great van which we really enjoyed but PVCs and especially La Stradas are expensive compared to a coachbuilt,

cheers

alan

If you want a well insulated van with on-board fresh water tank and an airy feel with unrestricted access to the sliding door then take a look at the Murvi Morello. Also (belted) seating for driver and up to 5 passengers.

It's my second Murvi - first Morello - excellent build quality and they are willing to make changes and adaptations to met your needs (often at no additional cost as they manufacture their own furniture).

Clive

We are just in the process of changing from the IH Tio R - rear lounge that makes a transverse double/ front dining - to the slightly longer IH Tio RL with twin rear sofas that make two singles or one huge double.

In our ten years of motorhomes we have gone from an IH Irmao panel van larger and larger to coachbuilt and RV then back again - trying caravans in between!

The panel van is, for us, the best compromise in terms of space, comfort and usability. Our last van (IH Tio R) was not only extremely well built with high equipment levels but had a distinct advantage over the former Irmao and other similar rear lounge conversions. First the IH exclusive rear panel (replacing the barn doors) eliminates all possible draughts, improves security and enables a better use of the space in the rear. Second, the front seat/cupboard arrangement means that both seats swivel fully and there are two drop down tables for dining as an alternative to the rear dining table being put up.

The new RL goes that little step further to give the twin single beds.

Ih do the same layout on Mercedes Sprinter if you are nervous aboiut the Ducato but we have opted for the 3L with Comfortmatic.

David

David. Ih probably make the best panel vans on the market. I was seriously tempted but at the time I wanted the price of my van to start with a 4. I think the model you have bought has a raised rear floor and I was a bit concerned about the headroom as I'm over 6 ft.

Was there much of a wait for your vehicle? I have to wait 7 months for mine because of the shortage of Comfortmatic gearbox vehicles.

On reflection I think I should have opted for the Ih but its too late now.

Mike88 - 2009-11-24 3:02 PM

David. Ih probably make the best panel vans on the market. I was seriously tempted but at the time I wanted the price of my van to start with a 4. I think the model you have bought has a raised rear floor and I was a bit concerned about the headroom as I'm over 6 ft.

Was there much of a wait for your vehicle? I have to wait 7 months for mine because of the shortage of Comfortmatic gearbox vehicles.

On reflection I think I should have opted for the Ih but its too late now.

Hi Mike

As you say, one of the best (if not THE best) panel van on the market whcih was why we started out when considering the alternatives by saying we were only going to buy an IH! We did, initially consider the front lounge Oregon but the points I made earlier make the Tio RL a better layout for us.

Yes the rear of the Tio RL does have a slightly higher floor (as did the Tio R) but this has not been a problem as the large Heki is immediately above which raises the standing height but, most of the time, you are naturally lowering yourself down to be seated. It isn't somewhere that you would be standing for any length of time but the compromise means that an extra amount of useful storage is available beneath the raised floor.

We ordered the van in April and should have it in the next two weeks so a wait now of about 8 months. This is mainly due to the volume of sales this year despite the economic climate and illustrates that buyers are either going ahead now instead of leaving cash in the bank (and taking advantage perhaps of the 15% VAT) or are downsizing.

The only problem we had was that I when casually told someone on our trip to Cornwall back in June that our 'old' IH van was going to be sold soon they snapped it up - we were able to put them off until after our trip to Scotland in August (that we had already booked to go to the Edinburgh Tattoo) but then let them have it back in September so we have been without a van for a few months!!

Can't wait for the replacement!

Regards, David

Have had 25 years of panel van conversions with the current van an 8 year old Murvi Morello and another in the pipeline awaiting Fiat getting their act together. We camp all year and suspect only the fully winterised coachbuilts are warmer as all vehicles have some airflow for safety reasons.

We are sold on the open sliding door type of camping and blocking the view with a kitchen unit defeats the purpose. We erect a net/cheesecloth curtain on a stretch wire across the open door to keep the igglies out when it is hot and on a previous rearengined VW we had an elasticated net that fitted round the seal of the open tailgate. Fine for the mosquitoes in Greece but the Irish midges got through so made the next set in finer gauge!!

As nearly all panel vans are less than 6metres and there are advantages of being so a fixed bed takes up too much space unless you are only going to camp in hot areas when you spend most of the 24 hours outside.Dark autumnal /winter evenings in a half dinette does not appeal to us! Friends of ours who have a fixed bed in a Hymer panel van have reached the same conclusion but they only liked summer camping anyway! A rear lounge setup does have its advantages .It only takes a couple of minutes to make the bed.

Many may disagree with the abovebut hope causes some thought.

I concur with Rowley, who's now an ex-Adria Twin owner. I still have mine and the insulation ain't great. However, it's not a huge internal space to heat, so I wouldn't put it high up on the list of reasons to change. There's no draughts to speak of, either.

As for the kitchen blocking the door.... well, it's a very big door, so unless you're bringing a pet elephant on board (or you or your other half are built in the same way), it still leaves rather a big hole to get in and out. Also, I'm not very sociable, so the bigger the hole in the van the door leaves, the more I feel that people are staring in. I tend to pull the door across until I don't feel quite so exposed.

The great thing about a van is that when you open all the windows, plus the side door, the air flow is pretty substantial.

I prefer a full-time made up bed. It gets used as the lounge at the end of the van, away from others at the front who want to watch something different or come to bed later.

If I were to change - and I can't think of any particular reason to do so, given the usual compromises a van conversion imposes - I'd opt for the same layout.

The not leaking thing? Well, that's great and probably the only thing that most van owners will agree on.

Shaun

I pretty much agree with Shaun 8-) :D

As it so happens I'm commissioning a similar van to the Twin SL, I would note the SL seems to have a tight bathroom, beds of 5'10" and 5'6"( ?) and I'm not sure where the fridge is or how big(small) it is.

We have a current model Duetto on the Transit MK7 140ps 3500Kg base vehicle.

Insulation is not as good as a coach built and there are draughts when strong wind blows on the fridge side of the van (due to poor sealing of the fridge). No draughts from back doors or sliding door. No problem getting to the toilet at night from the five and a half foot wide bed (I cannot stand narrow beds).

The van does have a full sized Heki over the bed as well as a 'normal' roof light over the kitchen and another in the toilet room. We have not found any problem over the last two years when using the van in Provence.

Heating the van is more important to us than cooling it and this is managed by a diesel heater putting out up to two and a quarter KW.

bobalobs - 2009-11-24 7:58 PM

Well there you are you have two different points of view. Keeps the converters on their toes!!

I wrote a reply to a letter in last months MMM, the original letter went on about fixed beds being a 'waste of space', but it depends on what you want and how you use it, if we all wanted the same thing that might make it easier for convertors, or half of them might go bust.

Guest JudgeMental
I agree with Shaun as well, very sensible........ Had wanted single beds in a smaller coach built but realise this is not practical in a 6 metre van. a bed across the back (with decent headroom) which can tilt up for large loads and be used for lounging on as well will be fine. the Hymer car 322 seems to fit the bill. More then one has criticised the Adria insulation so I will tick these of the list. the Karmen Davis and Euramobil Quixta may be worth a look, I am only really interested in German vehicles......

Guest JudgeMental
the 3 litrre with auto option is another 97kg of your payload (15kg less if upgrading from 120 bhp) this maybe manageable on a 3500kg chassis but tight on a 3300 one me thinks *-)

We have an Autosleeper Warwick, having downsized from an "A"Class, they are a 3 Season or GMT +1 Campers which suits us, though they are more driveable for days out in winter. Not as well insulated for the cold and get hotter when shut up in hot weather, though much quicker to cool with the sliding and rear doors open. Even though the main opening at night is only the Heki over the bed it is still cooler than sleeping in the "A" Class drop down bed.

MPG is 30 over 60MPH and around 34 below 60MPH considerably better than our previous two vans. So much easier to keep clean not due size but the painted steel finish. Obviously the reduced size is a negative as far as living but makes driving to the more obscure places possible.

Have`nt found any problem with stowage still carry our folding bikes and chairs at rear on the road, folders slip in front of front seats on site.

The main point to ponder is probably if you camp in this country (90% of ours is abroad in warmer climes) can you be comfortable if you get two wet weeks on your two week holiday?

Archived