questions regards Panel van conversions

Guest JudgeMental

Judge, have you had a look at Wildax Motorhomes? I am expecting delivery of an Aurora Leisure any time now. This has a front dinette and a rear lounge. The Aurora has a similar layout to the Twin. Duncan, the owner, is great to talk to and willing to do some options. He uses an insulation called Acoustitherm, I will be able to let you know how it performs after Christmas.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar to someone above, I have about 25 years campervan experience, with a couple of short breaks for tent camping and a folding caravan.

In that time, I've owned 6 panel van conversions. I've often wondered why people buy such huge motorhomes?

Anyway, I know people have their reasons, but I find the PVC perfect for outside living, and easily roomy enough inside for lounging, cooking, washing and sleeping - what more do I need?

I currently have an Auto-sleepers Symbol. It's small on the outside, drives well, is economical, has sleeping for 4 on a 3500kg chassis, good bathroom and kitchen. Decent internal storage and bikes are carried on the rear rack.

We have camped in the snow and found the heating to cope. The insulation seems adequate, if not brilliant.

In general terms, I find a PVC can do everything required for a comfortable holiday. The modern ones have every comfort with a massive price tag being the main downside.

One thing if money is tight - you DO get better value for money in a coachbuilt.

I hope these ramblings are of some help.

hi I have a 3ltr Auto ducato PVC and you are correct with this engine 3500kg is the minimum and if you wan to carry reasonable kit then replating to 3850kg may be an option. (or go for thye maxi) the engine does mop up front axel capacity and an air assist kit developed for the Iveco front axle will be available for the ducato shortly. Its not a DIY job unlike the rear axel you can get to 2000kg front 2240 rear which helps load distribution.

I've done 9000 miles with my comfort matic and its given no probs and drives very well

hope this helps

john

JudgeMental - 2009-11-24 9:00 PM

the 3 litrre with auto option is another 97kg of your payload (15kg less if upgrading from 120 bhp) this maybe manageable on a 3500kg chassis but tight on a 3300 one me thinks *-)

Adria use the 3500kg for 3l, I would hope most other manufacturers do same.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2009-11-24 10:36 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-11-24 9:00 PM

the 3 litrre with auto option is another 97kg of your payload (15kg less if upgrading from 120 bhp) this maybe manageable on a 3500kg chassis but tight on a 3300 one me thinks *-)

Adria use the 3500kg for 3l, I would hope most other manufacturers do same.

Would you think a 3 litre necessary in this size vehicle? My 2007 Ford 2.2 is 130 bhp and latest model 140 bhp and they go very well. Now I would happily go for this if available, but the Fiat 2.2 is only 120bhp....Why is this?

If you want an automatic the only Fiat option is a 3.0 litre engine and you have to have the Drivers Pack as well.

A 3.0 litre engine on a panel van is probably a bit over the top but if you want/need an auto you have no choice. As it happens it seems that those with 3.0 litre panel vans are happy and I do not think there is much of a fuel penalty between the 2.3 and 3 .0 litre engines.

We had auto clutch fitted to our van (sometimes known as click and go) you do have to change gear manually, but if you have a problem holding the clutch pedal down, this is a cheaper solution, and can be moved from van to van, not as good as a fully automatic though.

It dips the clutch pedal and holds it on the biting point, just press a button on the gear shift to dip the clutch

Pete

JudgeMental - 2009-11-25 10:12 AM

Would you think a 3 litre necessary in this size vehicle? My 2007 Ford 2.2 is 130 bhp and latest model 140 bhp and they go very well. Now I would happily go for this if available, but the Fiat 2.2 is only 120bhp....Why is this?

The 2.2 120hp Pugs and Citreons have plenty of power for a 3.5t PVC. It's a shame Adria and some others don't offer the 120hp/3.5t option

I reckon it will take you time to adjust, especially having been used to the extra space a coachbuilt affords. When we first bought our van, we thought we'd made a terrible mistake. It seemed far too small on our first couple of trips, but you do learn to travel a bit lighter and soon get into the habit of just one of you moving at a time! We love it now that we've got the hang of things and at a mere 15ft 4ins long, its easy to park. I know its nothing like the modern, much more expensive vans that you will be looking at, but it suits us and I don't think we would go for a coachbuilt now even if we could afford to upgrade. In fact I know what I'd buy, a Devon Provence, huge lounge, proper kitchen & bathroom etc. Oh well I can dream. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

and theres the rub...when will it be safe to order a Fiat *-)

not much room on the roof of the hymer for goodies, as it has two large roof lights one back and front and a smaller one over the bathroom. will probably take a sat dome no problem but no room for a solar panel me thinks

Guest JudgeMental
rowley - 2009-11-26 8:09 PM

Judge, to give you an idea of the space on top of the LWB Ducato. The Twin had two midi Hekis' and I still had room for a Camos dome, Status 530 and 2x40w solar panels.

Thanks Rowley, I think I got it wrong..... looked at another picture and looks enough room for panel and sat.

Mel, I will only buy from leading German/European manafacturers, economys of scale, quality of installation, technical now how, back up etc..... plus price *-)

JudgeMental - 2009-11-26 9:07 PM

Mel, I will only buy from leading German/European manafacturers, economys of scale, quality of installation, technical now how, back up etc..... plus price *-)

I've seen some very rough and ready PVCs made by Continental manufacturers (particularly the ones produced by Eura Mobil).

The model that regularly wins awards abroad (and isn't outrageously expensive) is Concorde's "Compact". See:

http://www.concorde-compact.co.uk/concorde-range/

This is an interesting thread as usually panel vans don't get that much coverage. Its educational to hear about the various thought processes leading up to purchase as I've been doing this now for a couple of years while searching for a replacement for my Transit.

To be honest many panel van conversions look spartan inside. There is a tendency for the wood panelling to dominate probably because of the narrow width and the need to provide the cabinets you find in a coachbuilt.

There are of course exceptions, notably IH but , Swift, Autosleepers etc have also managed to get around this problem.

In my quest for a panel van over a couple of years I found the German conversions to be particularly spartan and almost depressing inside with a cold feel. There could be exceptions but I couldn't find one. Hymer was the best foreigner but I've only seen one online.

Of the German vans I've seen Possl were particularly unappealing and seemed to be kitted out for surfers and the young.

Why restrict your search to a European sourced van? I thought the financial advantages of buying in euroland had now disappeared with the falling pound but I have not studied the prices recently.

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2009-11-27 8:33 AM

JudgeMental - 2009-11-26 9:07 PM

I've seen some very rough and ready PVCs made by Continental manufacturers (particularly the ones produced by Eura Mobil).

The model that regularly wins awards abroad (and isn't outrageously expensive) is Concorde's "Compact". See:

http://www.concorde-compact.co.uk/concorde-range/

Thanks Derek, But this one is not on the 6 m chassis it is 5.4 m, a bit tight me thinks. But def a quality manufacturer any more you can recommend?

I think it may be hard to find a well insulated PVC. Downloaded a PDF review from German mag (47p) last night of Hymer Car and translated it. while review was generally favourable 2 things stood out for criticism. the heater (slung underneath) sat lower then the axle...and wall insulation was only 10mm.

Guest JudgeMental

Mike, I prefer the German stylish utilitarian van. I love Derek's Concorde interior, well thought out and functional, and you wont be worried re scratching the wood as there isn't much! We had a VW Westphalia for 7 years when kids very young and these are so well built a beautiful van.

Taste in the UK can be different . I just had a look at the IH site and had to laugh to be honest. I don't want a van interior all warm wood and subdued lighting and materials more suitable to Granny's front parlour. Its simply a hangover from caravaning with framed photos and plastic flowers on the windows *-)

trying to make a PVC look like like a mini coachbuilt is a bit pointless I think, its what UK manafacturers do because UK buyers think thats what they want but they have not really thought to much about it.......

Judge

As someone mentioned above, have you looked at the Murvi Morello ?

Not sure if it's the layout you would prefer but good quality, wins awards year after year,no wood, and you can choose your own upholstery

( doesn't have to be like 'grannys').

:-|

JudgeMental - 2009-11-27 10:16 AM

Mike, I prefer the German stylish utilitarian van. I love Derek's Concorde interior, well thought out and functional, and you wont be worried re scratching the wood as there isn't much! We had a VW Westphalia for 7 years when kids very young and these are so well built a beautiful van.

Taste in the UK can be different . I just had a look at the IH site and had to laugh to be honest. I don't want a van interior all warm wood and subdued lighting and materials more suitable to Granny's front parlour. Its simply a hangover from caravaning with framed photos and plastic flowers on the windows *-)

trying to make a PVC look like like a mini coachbuilt is a bit pointless I think, its what UK manafacturers do because UK buyers think thats what they want but they have not really thought to much about it.......

Judge

The IH website only shows pictures of examples of their conversions - they have an impressive array of different styles to choose from and you are more likely to be able to get the interior you want than you are with most of the major converters such as Hymer - try asking them to put a different type of cupboard or even drawers instead of the basic arrrangement!

Hi;

I've always been a fan of German PVC's or Kastenwagen as they call them.

Might be worth looking at a few of the smaller German converters. We had a look at some CS-Reisemobile conversions last year at a dealers near Dortmund, the build quality and design was top notch but it comes at a price.

http://www.cs-reisemobile.de/main.htm

http://www.hrz-reisemobile.de/

..and if you fancy one on the VW Crafter..

http://www.schwabenmobil.de/

If we ever downsize then it will be a CS Rondo for us or a CS Independant 4x4 if Ernie comes up. ;-)

Pete

1433812722_rondo1.jpg.42468790fd293681a95cb8768a96b64f.jpg

Judge. I absolutely get where you are coming from. I agree that IH vans are not appealing to everyone but do attract people that wish to downsize from a coachbuilt to a panel van. IH vans are mini versions of upmarket motorhomes with all the advantages that panel vans enjoy The quality is excellent.

If you want a sparse, rudimentary vehicle then a German conversion is for you. Have you looked at the Possl's? They are keenly priced.

I presume you have looked at the British Wildax vans which can be pretty well purpose built; they can be as utilatarian as you like and represent good value for money. Devon's are also good value with scope to make minor modifications to your own spec.

Incidentally, I note you want a 5.4 metre MWB van. They are fine as I've owned one for 7 years. But for a little extra I personally would opt for a LWB because you are able to get better bed and lounging arrangements and a larger fridge (in some cases). Don't let ferry costs cloud your judgement. The difference is minimal. A 5.8 metre LWB vehicle is equally as versatile as a MWB; its the width that's important from the car parking and traffic standpoint.

Guest JudgeMental

Mike I want at least a 6m one :-D My teenagers still come from time to time so we need 4 belted seats. (they can sleep in a pop up tent :-S) I am sure I can negotiate a better price from a dealership of a large manafacturer.....I have been quoted under 40k for a Hymer with all the extras, plus twin batterys/awning/ tow bar etc...

if any one would like a copy of in depth review (PDF Doc) on Hymer Car 322 plus the English translation of text. PM me your email address and I'll send it on

Nice vans Pete! and they do them on Ford as well as MB. I miss my 4x4 demountable...But it simply became to small inside

Archived