questions regards Panel van conversions

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Interesting comparison between 4 vans on Promobile.de website.

http://tinyurl.com/ybxr7yd

Hymer322/ adria twin/Possl/euramobil Quixta

review threw up some worrying facts re axle capacity's and recommends only going for a van that can be uprated to 3500kg

Quote:

"The payload - a hot topic. The long wheelbase and exculpatory, without the help of a rear overhang are all fighting for four with a narrow load on the front axle.

All four are approved for four people. But all four of Mobile are overloaded with full occupation at the front already - without supplies and without luggage, mind you.

Meet the possible case of 130 kilograms of payload to the front axle Quixta already two travelers without luggage for an overload.

But the 220-kilogram payload at the front of the car 322 are scarce.

Remedy from the factory, it is only for Hymer customers. For 500 euros extra, there is a vehicle with a 3.5 instead of the standard 3.3 tonnes gross weight. Thus the possible Vorderachszuladung grow to 320 pounds.

The other can only help special supplier off the hook. The company Goldschmidt (www.goldschmitt.de; Tel 06283/22290) offer for 1350 Euro, an increase allowable axle loads on both per 2000 pounds. The company car Obermann in Mulheim an der Ruhr (www.auto-obermann.de; tel 0208/993370) increased for 950 Euro only permissible front axle load of 2000 pounds. The payload reserves on the rear axle are not critical."

End quote:

SO it seems that only the Hymer can be ordered on a 3500kg chassis. and interesting to see that the Germans can have their axles upgraded. The Euramobil unsurprisingly to me came out with the best levels of insulation and heated/insulated waste and fresh tanks as standard. an option on others.

But in this review the Hymer came out 1st with the best bed etc.....They have entered this market later then the rest and learnt from the others I guess. except for insulation levels, but Hymer have always been more interested in eye candy in my opinion.....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2009-11-28 11:48 AM

But in this review the Hymer came out 1st with the best bed etc.....They have entered this market later then the rest and learnt from the others I guess. except for insulation levels, but Hymer have always been more interested in eye candy in my opinion.....

Not quite true the Hymer Car is built in the Poessl factory which is part of the Hymer empire so in reality they have been around a long time.

Poessl offer the 3500kg chassis as standard on a lot of models.

lennyhb - 2009-11-28 5:04 PM

Not quite true the Hymer Car is built in the Poessl factory which is part of the Hymer empire so in reality they have been around a long time...

I believe Pössl is linked to Dethleffs which is, itself, part of the Hymer Group. Globecar PVCs are also Pössl-built.

Apparently, all PVCs marketed under motorhome brand-names within the Trigano Group (Autostar, Benimar, Challenger, Chausson, CI, Eura Mobil, Karmann, Roller Team and Trigano) are constructed in the same factory near Pescara in Italy.

JudgeMental - 2009-11-27 10:16 AM

...... its what UK manafacturers do because UK buyers think thats what they want but they have not really thought to much about it.......

Er hi Judge, well I am (we are) a UK buyer(s) and when we downsize that is exactly what we want.

Quite like the Vantage (mentioned earlier) quality but don't like the layouts on offer, really like the Vanmaster Pecos but dubious about chassis, likewise the Swift Mondial though feel that a bit downmarket at an upmarket price. Clearly none of these is what you would like but I believe they knock the spots of any of the European vans we have looked at.

We have not found any van that we like that is not on a dreaded Juddernought chassis, so we will hold with our trusty early Boxer until such times as I am satisfied that all is cured (might be never at the current rate and definately would not buy used).

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2009-11-29 6:36 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-11-27 10:16 AM

We have not found any van that we like that is not on a dreaded Juddernought chassis, so we will hold with our trusty early Boxer until such times as I am satisfied that all is cured (might be never at the current rate and definately would not buy used).

Bas

Hi Basil!:-D

Don't see the point of a full size oven, not a good use of space in such a compact vehicleIMO. Another example of British idiosyncrasy lol:D

Only room for 2 x 6kg gas with most of these, can you get 6 kg refillables?

I fully agree re the dreaded Fiat debacle, will happily stay wit the Ford until something happens on that front...A shame really as a lot of "vans" available in Germany new/almost new

JudgeMental - 2009-11-29 8:45 PM

Don't see the point of a full size oven, not a good use of space in such a compact vehicleIMO. Another example of British idiosyncrasy lol:D

Only room for 2 x 6kg gas with most of these, can you get 6 kg refillables?

I fully agree re the dreaded Fiat debacle, will happily stay wit the Ford until something happens on that front...A shame really as a lot of "vans" available in Germany new/almost new

Hi again, funny how we are all different, we wouldn't buy a van without a full oven we use it all the time!

The smaller Gaslows will fit in those I mentioned because we measured it to check!

Another van we looked at was the WildAx has an LPG tank in the spec. this we felt was an ok van with good spec but let down by it's budget furniture (in particular the roller doors), but would certainly consider if money was critical very good equipment specification for the money (including high insulation).

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
an underslung lpg tank is probably a better option I quess, we had one on our VW westfalia. plus it frees up a little more storage.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-12-06 9:39 AM

I'm doubtful that any mainstream motorhome manufacturer offers a PVC based on a Maxi X/250 chassis. If that's true, then the only realistic option would be to go 'bespoke'.

As per my previous post Adria offer the Twin with a 3l engine and Maxi chasis, but, IIRC Judge has previously posted about staying below 3.5t in which case the 35L is usualy Ok.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2009-12-06 12:44 PM

Don't think he needs worry.  The MAM for the 3.0 litre variants (4Twin, Twin, Twin Sport) is quoted at 3.5 Tonnes in the Adria technical brochure - which I could only find in Slovenian!

Funny that....You look on Adra German site and 5 or 6 different van models available. But on UK version of site only 2 *-)

Brian Kirby - 2009-12-06 12:44 PM

Don't think he needs worry.  The MAM for the 3.0 litre variants (4Twin, Twin, Twin Sport) is quoted at 3.5 Tonnes in the Adria technical brochure - which I could only find in Slovenian!

What I meant was, if you're happy with 2.3engine and 3.5t, then as long as either axle is not likely to overload the 35L chassis is OK and gives slightly better load.

JudgeMental - 2009-12-06 12:59 PM

Funny that....You look on Adra German site and 5 or 6 different van models available. But on UK version of site only 2 *-)

When you look at main Slovenian site they have a good range, most of these are sold throughout european LHD countries, but only a few are adapted for UK market, I would have thought the MWB version of Twin would sell in UK, but Adria don't sell it, another company does now sell the same layout in UK

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest JudgeMental

I'm resurrecting this earlier thread as its so good......I am obviously going around in circles :-S

The globecar is out in front with the Hymer second, purly because you get the best bed, option of 97lire fridge, and resale will be better as Hymers popular *-)

wondering what kind of warranty you get with a van, no yearly damp checks I would think??

Try looking also at Possl, who "own" the Globecar brand.  It all seems a bit complicated, as Globecar used to be a Dethleffs brand, and Possl is owned by Hymer, who also own Dethleffs so, it just may be that your Hymer, the Globecar, and the Possls are all being knocked out in the same factory.  You won't get Possl in UK, and there is only one Globecar dealer shown on their website, but the websites are virtually identical and, so far as I could see, the vans differ only in their internal finishes.  As ever, yer pays yer money..............! 

I noticed you can upgrade the base from 3,300MAM to 3,500MAM for about £500, which seemed quite good value to me.  Seem to be plenty available on Mobile.de, so choosing shouldn't be too difficult.

In the meantime, I have a few more details on the Master/Movano.  It seems they are really making a pitch for the motorhome market, with both chassis-cab and platform-cab versions being offered in UK - the platform cab version being available with pre-cut cab roof to facilitate low-profile/Luton coachbuilt conversions.  Chassis-cabs are available FWD or RWD, platform-cabs FWD only.  Panel vans are the same body width as SEVELs, so transverse beds are a practical proposition.  Lots of options available for converters, to assist integration of auxiliary 12V equipment etc.  It looks as though someone has really been looking and learning, and has decided that supplying motorhome manufacturers will be worthwhile, but also that they have to make the van an attractive proposition for conversion.  On the evidence, that they seem to be doing very intelligently.  So, if it goes forwards and backwards without drama, doesn't leak, and the mechanicals are generally bomb proof, this van could really give the SEVELs a very welcome run for their money.  Real, head to head, competition at last?  We'll know better in a few weeks time, when the Autumn motorhome shows kick off, and we can see who's taking them up.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Brian!

Well lets hope a few converters take this up. Düsseldorf should have a few hopefully for next season. Hymer are giving a choice of gas heating as well for next year as I don't like the diesel ones......noisey, power hungry and smelly.

I don't like the look of the Possl or the odd name. I prefer the finish of the Globecar inside and outside., but you are right there is not much between them and Possl a bit cheaper as more of them around *-)

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-29 6:42 PM

there is only one Globecar dealer shown on their website,

There's something 'funny' going on with Globecar in UK, the website listed on Globecar.de site, had a UK Globecar website which listed about half a doz. other dealers, this section of there website has now been wiped and they no longer carry any Globecar info, from what I can gather the dealer has never been the importer.

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-29 6:42 PM

Panel vans are the same body width as SEVELs, so transverse beds are a practical proposition. 

I have not measured one personaly but LIKE FOR LIKE the Renault is still shown as 95mm narrower cargo width, there is of cause the misleading info given I think by Dave Hurrel that they are the same width, but this was not at floor level and it appears he was comparing the width between pillors on Sevel with the width between body panels on Renault.

(!)Black Country Caravans and Motorhomes are listed on the german site as Globecar Dealers But!! nothing in stock. The only Dealers with a Globecar Trendscout seem to be SMC...They are not listed!..The 566U in Salsa Red would be my choice .I keep dreaming..!!!

mendipman - 2010-06-29 9:53 PM

(!)Black Country Caravans and Motorhomes are listed on the german site as Globecar Dealers But!! nothing in stock. The only Dealers with a Globecar Trendscout seem to be SMC...They are not listed!..The 566U in Salsa Red would be my choice .I keep dreaming..!!!

As I posted above Blackcountry are no longer listing anything re Globecar, previously to this they had a dedicated part of their website for Globecar, this included a list of other UK dealers including SMC, two weeks ago whilst I was at SMC they had a 566 in stock, it is IMO the worst built of the Globecars, I think it is built in a different factory than the Sevel models.

colin - 2010-06-29 8:34 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-06-29 6:42 PM   Panel vans are the same body width as SEVELs, so transverse beds are a practical proposition. 
I have not measured one personaly but LIKE FOR LIKE the Renault is still shown as 95mm narrower cargo width, ............

The information I have is that the Master is 2020 overall, excluding rear view mirrors but, I think, including door handles.  This is achieved at waist height, somewhere just over 1.0 metre above ground level, above and below which the tumble home reduces the floorpan, and roof, widths.  The loss of width at roof level, inevitably increases with the increasing heights of bodyshell available.

I think width at waist level is probably more significant for PVCs than floor level width, because that is around the height the bed will be set.  The width inside the rear wheel arches for FWD and single wheel RWD vans is 1380mm.

I don't have this much detail on SEVELs, so can't provide comparisons, but it seemed to me rather less than 95mm narrower, unless the comparison is being quoted as maximum internal width between ribs, for which I have no info.  Do you have actuals for the SEVELs?  I'd be interested to know, just to be satisfied if my impression of more or less equal width is wrong.

Archived