questions regards Panel van conversions

Guest JudgeMental

I’m late to the thread so apols if this is repetition but have a look here http://www.weinsberg.com/index.php?id=12 I’ve had a Weinsberg before and they (at least used to be) made how Judge likes them. I haven’t seen one of the latest generation in the flesh but if I were looking at euro PVCs I’d have a gander. My Weinsberg PVC of old was very cleverly designed, really well made, and inspired confidence. 

Swerving slightly, I didn’t buy a PVC this time round because of the compromises already largely stated – there’s a crop of ‘mini’ A class ‘vans now that have the same footprint as some of the mid-large PVCs, but are just so much more capable in almost every other respect. Just a thought…

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, it does look good.  I can see only two concerns:

1. The Fiat base (though lots of options available) and
  2. Knaus-Tabbert parentage.

The first should be overcome if the 160 auto option is selected - though at a price.

The second, I'm unsure about at present.  They went bust and were rescued by a Dutch Venture capital outfit who, last I heard, were refusing to take any responsibility for vehicles built by the company before it crashed.  That would concern me for their future conduct.

Lack of a UK dealership on their website may be a further concern to some.

Knaus Box Star seems to be very similar, as may be expected.  Lowdham are UK dealer/importer.

Brian Kirby - 2010-06-29 11:17 PMThe information I have is that the Master is 2020 overall, excluding rear view mirrors but, I think, including door handles.  This is achieved at waist height, somewhere just over 1.0 metre above ground level, above and below which the tumble home reduces the floorpan, and roof, widths.  The loss of width at roof level, inevitably increases with the increasing heights of bodyshell available.

I think width at waist level is probably more significant for PVCs than floor level width, because that is around the height the bed will be set.  The width inside the rear wheel arches for FWD and single wheel RWD vans is 1380mm.

I don't have this much detail on SEVELs, so can't provide comparisons, but it seemed to me rather less than 95mm narrower, unless the comparison is being quoted as maximum internal width between ribs, for which I have no info.  Do you have actuals for the SEVELs?  I'd be interested to know, just to be satisfied if my impression of more or less equal width is wrong.

The book figures for Renault are:-Body width 2070 excluding mirrorsMax cargo width 1760Width between arches 1380The book figures for Sevels are:-Body width 2050 excluding mirrorsMax cargo width 1870Width between arches 1422If the figures are to be believed there is a big differance in the construction of the walls, but as I say I've not measured one myself. Also the Sevels appear to have much squarer walls, whilst the Renaults appear to angle in more, if this is the case it will make a differance to the overhead lockers. If the beds are transverse at waist hieght and above the main structure of walls there might not be much differance, but if the are longditudinal, then you lose 90mm, also on a 'twin' type layout you lose 90mm across fridge to bathroom, this can make it very tight either for bathroom or corridor which in turn makes it harder to access fridge easily.

Guest JudgeMental
I am a bit surprised that a enterprising manufacturer has not come up with a way of doing away with the sliding door and fitting a panel with a proper door in it...am I clever or what. (or what I bet :-S )

JudgeMental - 2010-07-02 5:29 PM I am a bit surprised that a enterprising manufacturer has not come up with a way of doing away with the sliding door and fitting a panel with a proper door in it...am I clever or what. (or what I bet :-S )

The gap (please excuse pun) was kind of filled by Hymer with the original exsis and La Strada with the Nova etc. Custom coachwork in a panel van guise. They really should be more popular as it's a truly winning concept: all the convenience of a PVC, but none of the drawbacks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

Well....the Hymer is edging away from the Globecar/Possl

97 litre fridge. best bed. Hymer resale value.

it has the most powerful heating as well 7 kw (diesel:-S) Promobil voted it the best van, with best winter performance as well. For next year I think you can specify a gas heating option.

I realise the ongoing issues re the reversing saga. Is there any truth that if you go for the 3 litre auto option that they you are immune from problems?

JudgeMental - 2010-07-02 5:29 PM

I am a bit surprised that a enterprising manufacturer has not come up with a way of doing away with the sliding door and fitting a panel with a proper door in it...am I clever or what. (or what I bet :-S )

The sliding door is one of the best features in a panel van in my view. Sitting in the front swivel seats with the door open is ONE of my favourite van experiences although some Fiat converters need to provide a step to avoid the dangling leg problem - ie that when the seat is swivelled it is impossible for your feet to touch the floor even for a 6 footer+ like me.

Mike88 - 2010-07-18 11:55 AM

JudgeMental - 2010-07-02 5:29 PM

The sliding door is one of the best features in a panel van in my view. Sitting in the front swivel seats with the door open is ONE of my favourite van experiences although some Fiat converters need to provide a step to avoid the dangling leg problem - ie that when the seat is swivelled it is impossible for your feet to touch the floor even for a 6 footer+ like me.

I'm just wondering how many vans don't have a 'proper door'.

i.e. You can't get in.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Have just realised that the twin bed version of Globecar/Possl models are only 14 inches longer then standard 6 M van. A small price to pay for a much better interior layout me thinks.......rear singles can be used like a rear lounge, and shower arangement a bit bigger as well as it uses the corridor space.....

some pics of Possl model

http://tiny.cc/uwb2k

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry Mike but 14 inches, not much more then 1 foot, can hardly be described as massively bigger can it? but it seems to make so much difference to the layout that I think it is worth it. The wife certainly does, as she gets the twin beds she so desires :-S and an extra lounging area. I think it is well worth it and will make the transition from a coach built easier.

regards colour I think I prefer these vans in white.....or maybe silver at a push

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2010-07-18 6:33 PM

PVC ... panel van conversion! :D

Judge - be careful going for longer panel vans, some have massive turning circles!

Thanks for that Mel, once I got PVC on my mind I could not get past underware (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Judge - be careful going for longer panel vans, some have massive turning circles!

The L4 is same wheelbase as L3 (normal LWB) but with an extra 360mm overhang at rear, unless you look twice it's easy to mistake them.

Hi,

no one seems to have mention the timberland pvc. We have just downsized from a coachbuilt and after the initial few weeks of thinking have we made a big mistake,we have adjusted and now wished we had bought one years ago. First class build and first class service from the manufacturer,who have bent over backwards to help uswith little niggly faults, even though we did not purchase from them. Now Wished we had purchased it from them and not from Brownhills!

JudgeMental - 2010-07-18 3:50 PM

Sorry Mike but 14 inches, not much more then 1 foot, can hardly be described as massively bigger can it? but it seems to make so much difference to the layout that I think it is worth it. The wife certainly does, as she gets the twin beds she so desires :-S and an extra lounging area. I think it is well worth it and will make the transition from a coach built easier.

regards colour I think I prefer these vans in white.....or maybe silver at a push

When you see these vans side by side I think you will see what I mean. A couple of inches here and there does make a difference so 14 ins is to my mind very considerable in terms of the additional space you get. Clearly the bigger the van the more space you gain but one of the main reasons for owning a panel van is ease of use and less obtrusive appearance when parked on your drive.

If you need the space a large panel van offers why not save yourself some money and buy a small coachbuilt which is only about 6ins wider than a panel van.

pelmetman - 2010-07-18 6:49 PM

Thanks for that Mel, once I got PVC on my mind I could not get past underware (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Is that similar to Tuppaware? (lol)

Mel B - 2010-07-20 8:51 PM
pelmetman - 2010-07-18 6:49 PM
Mel B - 2010-07-18 6:33 PM PVC ... panel van conversion! :D Judge - be careful going for longer panel vans, some have massive turning circles!
Is that similar to Tuppaware? (lol)

Only on sheep!  (Cumbrian joke)  :-)

Hi Judge

Saw a smart new PVC model on the road today, but can't find any details

(on trade plates).

TEC nology

it appearded to have seats to the rear, but I didn't want to A**e end him to geta better look.-

No mention on their website, so could possibly be a 2011 model just brought into the country - (it was heading away from port.)

Might be worth a look if you are going to the German show.

Guest JudgeMental

The dealer I use in Belgium is a TEC agent as well. will be passing through for a damp check in a couple of weeks on our way to Italy..... will have a look ;-)

but so far its between the Hymer and Globecar......

TEC is Hymer owned, so I guess it will turn out to be another variant on the Globecar/Possl vans.  Also there is Hymer Car, which again looks very similar.  Differences in badges, finishes, furnishings and minor spec items?  Gives a bit of choice, though, dunnit?  :-)

Guest JudgeMental

The Hymer car 322 won easily in comparison test on Promobil. Only one with a 97L fridge option, and best bed by a mile apparently. also best winter performance, this probably because it has a 7kw diesel heating system but I dont really like these. gas heating may bean option for next year apparently.

but at the end of the day if I want to buy from existing stock, I will have to be flexible

Archived