questions regards Panel van conversions

Guest JudgeMental

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2010-07-25 5:19 PM

Here's another.  Liaka Sport 100.  Possl?

the Lakia is identical to the Hymer

Guest JudgeMental

Recently while out and about my area of sarf London, I have been observing panel vans and have come to the conclusion that the Fiat is used because it is most definitely a wider van then other makes...so that is it really...simples

We still have the mystery as to sizes on new Master/Morvano, some seem to think it is larger than the Sevel product, but the published figures say otherwise, i.e. they show it to be narrower inside and also shorter inside.

Further to my earlier post, Black country caravans appear not to be a stockist of Globecar any more. Although they are listed on Globecar.de they are not listed on globecarmotorhomes.co.uk , and the previous globecar.co.uk which appeared to be something to do with them is no longer active.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2010-07-29 6:09 PM

We still have the mystery as to sizes on new Master/Morvano, some seem to think it is larger than the Sevel product, but the published figures say otherwise, i.e. they show it to be narrower inside and also shorter inside.

Nick (euroserv) mentioned on another thread that he has a new Master on test...while awaiting his findings, I have asked him to at least let us know regards the size of the thing, and if it stands a chance as an alternative to the Fiat....

• 1 month later...
Guest JudgeMental

Update :-D

I spent a few days at Düsseldorf show. Just concentrating on panel vans. Hymer was my favourite before I went, but there are problems with Hymer. Production in France shut down this year, so not many available for sale in dealerships, while production being moved to Germany apparently. So while at show and spending some time examining the vans The new Adria SP has really edged ahead as it is basically a better van...Hymer has the edge on exterior styling and probably resale value, but Adria nicer to live with I think

the devil as usual is in the detail, and in a small space more important......The Adria has a large bed and 97 litre fridge as does the Hymer, but Hymer lounge and table compromised, must be because bathroom slightly longer and bed 50mm wider, not a lot if you are slim, but in the Hymer I could not sit comfortably on rear seat, while in the Adria I could (sort of) even with the wider table...very odd. Adria tip up bed has nice aluminium frame, Hymer very weak rough wood arrangement, again odd

then the kitchen. Hymer use integrated hob and sink which is hopeless. at least the Adria has separate hob and sink offering a little more space (both have little slide out table) Both main tables can be used outside, but Adria table with swivel piece, again far more practical in a tight space...

Adria has two midi Heki, where as Hymer only have a vent over rear bed. better storage and better overall ambiance in new Adria as well with rose wood finish and excellent lighting.

I can get one from stock now, and beat the VAT increase (if my van sells *-)) Hi spec, but only 2.3 6 speed, no 3L autos seem to be in stock, or 3500kg chassis.

Will see how add in MMM goes which comes out in a few weeks, and take it from there. the choice is between stock van, less VAT, or factory order for next year and higher price + more VAT....

Pics:

1 Hymer kitchen

2 Hymer table

3 Adria kitchen

4 Adria table

1078384493_hymerkitchen.JPG.5ff74f8438cb176ba06c33629c9ec6cf.JPG

67405051_hymertable.JPG.e452b256181a3f6d1bd4ec9b7627f08e.JPG

1514321420_adriakitchen.JPG.ea62c2f6b4b8bc5c812b239e56a39948.JPG

152357771_adriatable.JPG.41271562a74c00be2138f42c2abf469a.JPG

Adria want to watch it!  If they keep improving the way they are, Hymer will buy them up!  Just two hob burners, though?  With no oven/grill I think three is really the minimum.  Still, beggars and choosers?  Adria interior looks very sharp.  Try hiring a Fiat van of similar length.  That LWB chassis has a huge turning circle, compared to your Tranny!

Guest JudgeMental
Its narrow so not much choice, but at least with the Adria you can have a steamer and frying pan or whatever going on......hymer is a joke, and fails my H&S scrutiny as well. We dont cook that much anyway, sandwich and soup or pasta and a chop, but then we generally eat out dont'cha know.... :D

Totally agree with you Judge, that silly sink/hob arrangement in the Hymer is useless. We've got a grill and a 3 ring hob in ours which works very well. If you get stuck for a 3rd ring you can always use one of those cheap canister gas rings - we have done this in the past and it's especially useful to be able to cook outside too in warm weather.

Interesting that the Adria and Hymers are virtually the same layout as we've got in our Chausson though ... ours is just a bit chubbier that's all. :-D

Hubby uses our motorhome to tootle around now that he's left work and doesn't have a problem with it. We often use it for a run, to do shopping etc, rather than the car and the small turning circle is very 'car park' friendly, not sure on some occasions that we'd have been able to park a PVC with a longer wheelbase.

Guest JudgeMental

dont think its longer, van 5.99m long? re cooking, not forgetting the BBQ which we use all the time and it doubles as an oven as well on low with lid closed....

also I forgot to mention, adria takes 2 x 11kg bottles (which we have) Hymer only 2 x 5 or 6

Hi Eddie

You post with the photos:-

"but in the Hymer I could not sit comfortably on rear seat, while in the Adria I could (sort of) even with the wider table...very odd. "

In the photo of the Hymer the Table top appears to be capable of moving forward on the wall fixing, so I don't know if that is the reason or is it just deceptive in the photo.

Possible even Hymer could have got the foot of the Table leg in the wrong position or would that compromise sitting with the passenger seat swivelled.?

The Adria looks good in the photo.

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Flicka, they both slide forward/backward. but even with Hymer table in folded position (horrible) I could not move from front seat to rear and fit semi comfortably without moving the table? BUT with the Adria I could. Only a concern really for us fattys.

I spent two whole days in these PVC's examining them forensically :D trying the bathrooms for fit, toilet for reading:-D Also lying on the beds for ages, to the amusement of the Germans, who kept on laughing at me (maybe because I told them I was a male model:-S)

The purpose of trip was to see if I could fit/live with a panel van (not a concern for Mrs M as not overweight) and to identify the best camper from the shortlist I had, I think I have done that......

I had to discount the Glodecar/possl vans unfortunately because the bed was narrower and no large fridge option.

Guest JudgeMental
Symbol Owner - 2010-09-27 9:29 AM

Judge, -

Where did the Karmann Davis come in all of these deliberations -- or was it eliminated at a much earlier stage?

thanks,

Colin.

The Davis is the van that got us thinking of this change in the first place, as our Euramobil dealer is an agent, and we spent a night in one there when having some warranty work on our camper.

smaller fridge and bed and diesel heating, and not as good a van as the Adria I think when you look at everything...... what it does have which is better then others, is a small sliding sink that can be pushed away over toilet giving a far better shower space then any other van we looked at, apart from the stretched Glodecar/possl

JudgeMental - 2010-09-26 9:40 PM

dont think its longer, van 5.99m long?

Eddie, I'm talking wheelbase, not the overall length - according to the Adria pdf for the SP the wheelbase (radstand) is shown as 4.03m, our Chausson Flash 04 is given as 3.30m, that's 0.73m difference! 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-09-27 6:09 PM

Symbol Owner - 2010-09-27 10:04 AM

Judge,

Thanks for that. Now, where are the pictures of you in a 'posing pouch' (and full-bottomed wig?) as a male model?!

Cheers,

Colin.

Now that is NOT a picture I want to see! 8-) :D

Oh come on!...its in your in box now (so to speak) :-D

can you send me the pdf plse?

Guest JudgeMental
Symbol Owner - 2010-09-27 9:29 AM

Judge, -

Where did the Karmann Davis come in all of these deliberations Colin.

some pics just for you Colin :-D

(first pic includes a German women loitering till I got my kit oft ready for bed...there was no water to brush me teeth! :-S)

Karmann Davis:

436447556_karmen1.jpg.84145da332f67e49f4074e2cd1f23b19.jpg

428030514_karmen2.jpg.a18b641bb0c291159d404f112b0029d1.jpg

1282964296_karmen3.jpg.78a557b7dfe5b42fd5c9c924a7c1a5ea.jpg

Mel B - 2010-09-27 6:59 PM Hi Eddie I found it from a link off the web address on one of your photos! If you go to the following page, you can download it (upper right hand side) Adria tech details

Very poshe!  I particularly liked the "dynamic beige" interior.  Presumably only for the German market - would any other Euro-tribe see beige as dynamic?  Just asking, mind!  :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2010-09-27 8:33 PM]

Very poshe!  I particularly liked the "dynamic beige" interior.  Presumably only for the German market - would any other Euro-tribe see beige as dynamic?  Just asking, mind!  :-D

Adria should give me a van for nothing have sold 3 already :-D

Archived