Ford, VW, Merc Etc @ a premium Used ??

mike 202

With less and less converters using non Fiat as a base vehicle, and as the sorry Juddergate rumbles on plus more disgruntled users joining the fray, are our Non Fiat Treasures going to become more valuable and sought after ?. I think that they will become a premium product, what does the forum think ?.

mike 202 - 2009-11-24 9:42 AM

With less and less converters using non Fiat as a base vehicle, and as the sorry Juddergate rumbles on plus more disgruntled users joining the fray, are our Non Fiat Treasures going to become more valuable and sought after ?. I think that they will become a premium product, what does the forum think ?.

There is no sign of this in the Glass,s commercial guide, which lists M/H prices, and no mention of it in there monthly overall price trend review. However it will get harder to judge as time goes by due to the numbers of Fiats there will be around. I personally feel the great majority who are buying vans still go for the layout and do not worry to much about the van bit.

rupert123 - 2009-11-24 11:52 AM I personally feel the great majority who are buying vans still go for the layout and do not worry to much about the van bit.

You maybe right Rupert, but for me it's important to get the vehicle and the layout right. When I started looking for a MH it quickly became apparent that I am not the typical motorhomer, so I first choose the ideal vehicle (Not a FIAT as it happens) and then found a converter to do the layout I needed. I expect to keep this MH for a very long time so I don't really care about residual value.

Guest Tracker
rupert123 - 2009-11-24 10:52 AM

There is no sign of this in the Glass,s commercial guide, which lists M/H prices,

It is a well known fact that dealers only use the Glass's Guide to find the lowest trade in prices that they can get away with and still substantiate to the customer, and that their retail prices are generally way way above the guide retail price.

Supply and demand they call it when they can sell as many decent used vans as they can get their hands on can you blame them?

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

The Glass's guide is a joke. It doesn't represent the real world at all, when trying to get a trade in price for our Rimor it is useless. The guide only has a snapshot of the 'vans that are out there and when there are several similar vans in a range, at the bottom, middle and top quality levels, they'll quote the lower price everytime even if you tell them it's not that van and it has the top level chassis/build/furniture/equipment etc it makes no difference. I'm fed up of our van being compared to the bottom level vans.

When we changed form our Rapido 709F the dealer was much more sensible and checked on existing van prices at various places to be able to gauge a realistic re-sale price upon which to base his trade-in offer, it was the best offer we got and we were very happy with the deal for the new van.

Glass's may be a joke but it is a good one. A dealer at Lincoln offered me full book to start the bidding, trtying to sell me a Fiat and px my Merc.

Declined his kind offer.

Same offer from another dealer at Birmingham so there may be some value in the old Merc still.

stuart

Mel B - 2009-11-24 6:29 PM

The Glass's guide is a joke. It doesn't represent the real world at all, when trying to get a trade in price for our Rimor it is useless. The guide only has a snapshot of the 'vans that are out there and when there are several similar vans in a range, at the bottom, middle and top quality levels, they'll quote the lower price everytime even if you tell them it's not that van and it has the top level chassis/build/furniture/equipment etc it makes no difference. I'm fed up of our van being compared to the bottom level vans.

When we changed form our Rapido 709F the dealer was much more sensible and checked on existing van prices at various places to be able to gauge a realistic re-sale price upon which to base his trade-in offer, it was the best offer we got and we were very happy with the deal for the new van.

Well you may be right but the clue is in the title, it is a guide. However the prices in it are based on prices obtained at auctions and dealers around the country. You may not agree with price given but all the prices are arrived at in the same way, not one way for Fiat and one for the others. The trend would still be even across the board and a spike would show up with increased prices for some vans. Every month Glass's publish a trend guide for vans and cars which is a trade only thing but gives a good insight into what is going on. You believe what you wish but at the moment their is no sign at all that alternatives to Fiat will command a premium except when the van was more expensive in the first place.

Non FIAT users are breeds apart and are individual thinkers, they probably don’t give a hoot and soldier on regardless of any trends. They already know they have a premium product both now and for the future.

There is no doubt that FIAT has gained tremendous publicity (at no cost) on these forums. There’s an old saying that still holds true.

“It doesn’t matter what you say about me, as long as you say something”

Archived