leak in motorhome

harl

hi

i am in need of some help i have an autocruise sarasota 55 reg and i have noticed a leak at the bottom of the wall and cannot find where this is coming from also i have noticed a skylight is leaking which wont be a big problem abit more sealent but the wall problem i have no idea just wondered if anyone has any ideas where it might be coming from.

thanks for all your help

harl

Can you be more specific as to where exactly the damp is showing. Is it below a window or other opening in the side wall?

Water can travel a long way from the leak before it shows itself. It could even be coming from the leaking skylight, crossing the roof and down the wall.

hi thanks for your replies the van is on a slope and the leak is on the highest part above one of the main windows on the same side is really nothing else except for the seats which i have looked underneath and they are dry so iam beginning to think it might be the window?

thanks again

harl

harl - 2009-11-25 8:08 PM hi thanks for your replies the van is on a slope and the leak is on the highest part above one of the main windows on the same side is really nothing else except for the seats which i have looked underneath and they are dry so iam beginning to think it might be the window? thanks again harl

Any chance you could post a picture, to eliminate some of the guesswork?  If above the window, but close to the opening, it might be from around the top hinge of the window itself.  They do tend to trap a little water along the top edge of the hinge: the part that is screwed to the side of the van.  You'll have to fully open the window for access, but if that has loosened water might be getting down the back of the hinge, past the sealant, and into the van via the screwholes.  Not much at a time, but it has been very wet.

The logical alternative would be from somewhere higher up the wall, above the window.  Is this on the entrance side, for example, possibly beneath an awning?  If so, suspect leakage through an awning fixing bracket.  Failing that, somewhere along the joint between roof and wall.  Water will travel quite a long way through panel construction, but its general direction will be down, so the point of ingress has to be somewhere above the point of egress.

Archived