Portugal or Spain for the winter?

mbeworthit

We're off in a couple of weeks to spend December to around mid March on the Iberian Peninsula. (done a lot of Spain - but happy to do it again. )

Having once lived in France for nearly seven years (enjoying the country most suited to Motorhoming - our opinion) and ventured as far as Morocco, visiting the 'Portugese bit' has, so far, been restricted to just the Algarve.

Is there a concensus out there that recommends spending around three months in Portugal?

If so, would anybody like to suggest definites to visit and places to be avoided.

We have the Vicarious edition of Spain and Portugal Aires and are looking forward to seeing how they 'stack up' to those in La Belle France'.

Many thanks - in anticipation.

We did Spain last year (well it was Jan -April this year but it feels like we did it last year) around Benicarlo/Peniscola/Vinaros..we found the weather quite reasonable to say the least but apparently it was cooler than previous years.Our intention is to do the same again this year but maybe drift a little further South this time might even make it down to Gibraltar and then up to Alicante and see some friends who are resident there!!

Whichever you choose it has to be warmer than the UK in winter!!

We are at Camping Torre de Mar near Malaga at the moment together with many Brits, Dutch, Germans, Italians, French and yes even some Spanish. Many are staying from October to April and have been coming here year after year. It is a well run site with good amenities close to the beach and the shops, bars and restaurants. Also the pededtrian paved area running along the coast is great for walking or cycling.

We are only here for another week or so and then heading for Portugal, North of Spain then France and home next May.

For us it is a journey of discovery and I think that is the essence of travel. So if you fancy Portugal why not go and have a look. For sure it will be different and warmer on average to the UK and an adventure as well.

Roy Fuller

Lord Raindrop - 2009-11-27 7:53 PM

Porky, what do the campers do for a pastime do they drive around or just do nowt all the months, and what about shops and other normal items? I assume it cannot be that good weather that they sit outside all the time.

What do they do, sleep?

1 What do they do? Well what would you do? Imagination and a sense of exploration works wonders.

2 What about shops? The shops are all within walking distance from fashionable shoes at 30 euros to satellite TV. The Mercado supermarket is very large and a two minute cycle ride. If you have two Bromptons with bags it is easy. The fruit and veg here is far better than anything at home and the huge prawns at 6.5 euros a Kg, yes thats right 6.5 euros a Kg, and they are not the rubber type we have they have the consistancy of tender crab.

4 The weather. Ah, the weather. how does 22 -24 deg and sunny sound? That is what it has been like since I got here two weeks ago.

Well then that doesn`t sound so bad does it? And no they don`t sleep all day, why would they? You know even other nationalities can be interesting if you take the time and trouble to find out about them and their country. Next to me is a Swedish couple who speak excellent English. Also a Dutch couple, the wife is going to an English class to learn Spanish and the husband is 74 had his gullet removed because of cancer 10 years ago and has had 52 motorcycles. See what I mean?

Roy Fuller

Roy Fuller

Porky. I've just looked up this site on the internet. It looks ideal. Do they cut the trees for winter campers. Like many others I'm averse to camping in the shade.

I notice they also have TV tapped into the site which is great for the long winter nights. I don' think motorhome satellite dishes work that well in that area.

We have used Camping Laguna Playa T D M a number of times a nice comfortable site we thought, gets cheaper for longer stays too, there is a river close by and teems with bird life, Torre town is super lots of good shops and eateries. great market, sugar museum.and great walks in the hills,we were at Torree earlier this year but we had a week wild camping there, on the beach and also at the back of the Mercadona Supermarket by the park. We had no problems and there were about 15 vans doing the same, the police drove round regularly and always waved at us, there was a Sanimento to empty toilets and water was available in the park.There is a new Tram system in the town, it runs to Velez Malaga and is great to ride, it stops at EROSKIs and LIDL on route. :-o :-o :-o

Porky - 2009-11-28 12:00 PM
Lord Raindrop - 2009-11-27 7:53 PM Porky, what do the campers do for a pastime do they drive around or just do nowt all the months, and what about shops and other normal items? I assume it cannot be that good weather that they sit outside all the time. What do they do, sleep?
1 What do they do? Well what would you do? Imagination and a sense of exploration works wonders. .................Roy Fuller

I have wondered exactly the same thing.  The trouble is, my imagination runs riot at this enigmatic answer.  Swingers?  Wife swapping?  Bridge?  Poetry recitals?  Volley ball? Tennis?  Amateur dramatics?  Cockroach racing?  Cocktail parties?  Cordon Blue cookery classes?  Painting classes?  (I've ruled out sculpture, as the materials are too heavy!)  Elocution lessons?  Foreign language lessons?  Wine tasting?  Or just trying to get the satellite antenna to pick up UK programmes? 

I can vouch for the latter in one case, who spent time tending his two huge dishes, or sleeping on his sun lounger.  His wife (I assume it was she) occasionally summoned him into the van for meals, after which he resumed his earlier activities until sunset, after which he disappeared into his van until the next morning.

Purely in a spirit of enquiry, therefore, what do folk actually do after the domestic chores have been completed?  All of the above?  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-28 2:56 PM

Purely in a spirit of enquiry, therefore, what do folk actually do after the domestic chores have been completed?  All of the above?  :-)

I think the whole point of it is that you do your own thing and not be concerned how others pass their time. I bet where you live the folks do all sorts of different things with their time. I would not want to spend 5 months in one place. Staying for a month gets you a good discount and for me that`s enough. Live and let live I say.PS The good weather allows you to take much more excercise and that has to be a good thing doesn`t it Brian?Roy Fuller

Guest JudgeMental

Just did 10 miles on my bike and absolutely frozen to the marrow.......And thats with quality ski thermal underwear on as well :-S

I wish I was there! walking, cycling, sea fishing, lounging and reading in the sun, barbecuing the catch and Porkys king prawns(lol) would do for a start

Its just the ability to live outside during the winter months that attracts.....I have the Alicante weather on my desktop and it has never gone below 25deg C so far this autumn

Porky - 2009-11-28 3:27 PM I think the whole point of it is that you do your own thing and not be concerned how others pass their time. I bet where you live the folks do all sorts of different things with their time. I would not want to spend 5 months in one place. Staying for a month gets you a good discount and for me that`s enough. Live and let live I say. PS The good weather allows you to take much more excercise and that has to be a good thing doesn`t it Brian? Roy Fuller

The point of my question was not to pry, but I was interested to know.  We briefly visited a few sites in Spain four years back, when we were on our way home to UK, that had quite large contingents of people staying for the winter, and more arriving.  The sites all seemed pretty dismal so late in the year - I'll admit bad weather wasn't helping - many of the town facilities seemed to be closing down, and I couldn't understand what the attraction was.  So, I was hoping someone would tell me what I had been missing, that's all.  I guess the weather must be some advantage, but we get out onto the South Downs pretty often, so better weather can't be the only draw, can it?

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-28 7:06 PM

The point of my question was not to pry, but I was interested to know.  We briefly visited a few sites in Spain four years back, when we were on our way home to UK, that had quite large contingents of people staying for the winter, and more arriving.  The sites all seemed pretty dismal so late in the year - I'll admit bad weather wasn't helping - many of the town facilities seemed to be closing down, and I couldn't understand what the attraction was.  So, I was hoping someone would tell me what I had been missing, that's all.  I guess the weather must be some advantage, but we get out onto the South Downs pretty often, so better weather can't be the only draw, can it?

Brian the weather is probably the most imprtant factor. The 10 day forecast difference is about 11-12 degrees. Thats the difference between a jumper and a coat!!! For my joints that is the diffence betwen pain and no pain. Having spent 50 years working most of the time running a business having the time to consider the meaning of all things is a bonus. (if I knew how to add these blasted smiley things there would be one here)Roy Fuller

Porky - 2009-11-28 8:38 PM .........(if I knew how to add these blasted smiley things there would be one here) Roy Fuller

OK, that bit's easy!  Whet you're typing into the editing box, just below the place where you're typing, you'll see four tick boxes.  The third one down says "Enable emoticons", and you'll notice "emoticons" is in blue.  Click in that box if there is not already a tick in it, then place your cursor over the blue text and click.  I think you'll find the pop-up screen self explanatory, but the characters beside the little faces are what you type in without any spaces, so: typing ; - ) (but without spaces between) just becomes ;-).  See :-)

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-29 4:48 PM
Porky - 2009-11-28 8:38 PM .........(if I knew how to add these blasted smiley things there would be one here) Roy Fuller

OK, that bit's easy!  Whet you're typing into the editing box, just below the place where you're typing, you'll see four tick boxes.  The third one down says "Enable emoticons", and you'll notice "emoticons" is in blue.  Click in that box if there is not already a tick in it, then place your cursor over the blue text and click.  I think you'll find the pop-up screen self explanatory, but the characters beside the little faces are what you type in without any spaces, so: typing ; - ) (but without spaces between) just becomes ;-).  See :-)

Ah I see what you mean like this(lol)B-):D Mmm didn`t work Brian, am I missing something?(lol)B-):D

Your are right, generally the weather is the big draw in winter to foreign parts,as for what you do with the day,well pretty much what you would do at home I suppose, i.e.visit museums,go fishing, go for walks and bike rides, beach comb, metal detect,sit in a cafe watching the world go by and enjoy a lunch and a glass of wine or two,boat trips, learn the language, meet the locals,go to the markets, you won't get bored, I sometimes get up in the mornings and wonder where the day has gone,thankfully I am over the have to do something constructive with my time, tomorrow may be my last day after all. :-o :-o

What do we do *-) (?)

We have been down to Spain for the last 3 years & this year also managed to get into Portugal. As we usually wildcamp moving every couple of days most of our time is taken up exploring a new area. This year we took a motorbike so we were able to get into some out of the way places. We do a bit of walking, sitting around in the sun, have a few BBq's, drink quite a bit (usually social) enjoy meeting people. It might sound a bit boring but never found it to be, just wish we were there now but can't get away until near the end of February & will only have about 2 months this time :'( . Just noticed I got my winter fuel payment so that will help towards the cost of my diesel fuel :-D

Guest JudgeMental

looking at info on other forums it is very quiet on sites in Spain this year, due I guess to the recession and Euro rate...so you should be able to get good rates on sites in advance if you fancy a site.

beware that the spanish like putting the rates up in the new year:-S

I always wonder how you deal with waste/toilet waste and getting fresh water when wild camping, the cost appeals but the hassle does not :-D maybe someone a bit more savvy could advise?

Brian Kirby - 2009-11-29 6:55 PM

Good!  If you click the "preview" button, instead of the "submit" one, you will see how your post will actually look, complete with emoticons, before you finally submit it.  That's where I usually spot all (most :-)) of my typos!

There's a PREVIEW button!!! 8-)

But that spoils the fun of spotting mistakes just after you've posted your response!!! :D

hi Judge...just returned from a lovely tour, out on the 30th Sept, back on the 2nd Nov. Dover-Calais-Bayonne-Monte Gordo- Gibraltar-Nerja-Benidorm-Zaragoza-Pamplona-Cap Breton-Mimizan-Navarosse-Honfleur-Le Cretoy-Calais. Spent 4 nights on sites,10 nights on aires and the rest wild camping, plenty of watering holes equal amount of waste holes. Plenty of us ,doing the same, no problems, never moved on, lovely weather !!!!! Phil. (3700 miles).

Hi

Your honour, if wild camping sounds a bit risky, try Aires and ACSI campsite discounts to keep the costs down. We use all these options and occasionally pay full price too. There are increasing numbers of Aires in Spain and the ones inland are often deserted. We agree that the weather is the main reason for heading South for the winter but it is also much cheaper to live.

P&L

Archived