False low oil level on dip stick?

David B

On my 2005 Boxer 2.2l engine when I take out the dip stick (with vehicle on the level) the oil level is not apparent, i.e. no oil on the dip stick. When I replace the dip stick and try again - low and behold there is oil at an appropriate level. This level coincides with the electronic dashboard display of oil level.

I can only asume that when the engine runs the oil level drops below the dip stick "tube", as oil gets distributed around the engine, and assuming the "tube" extends down into the sump, that the rubber seal on the handle end of the dip stick creates a "vacuum/pressure" seal which prevents oil going back up the "tube" when the engine is allowed to stand.

Anybody had the same problem? Any other explanation?

Hi, I have a 2004 A/Sleeper Symbol 2.2 Boxer that does exactly the same as yours when I take out the dip stick for the first time to check the oil level. It always causes me to panic slightly and check underneath the front of the van for leaks.

However, when I replace the dip stick and try again, I always get an oil level. The van does about 5000 miles a year and in 3 years of ownership I haven't yet needed to top up the oil.

Your diagnosis of why there is no oil on the dip stick for the first check makes sense to me!

Archived