How clean is your hou ...... M/H

Lord Raindrop

Do you really think its clean? Then undo the water trap under the sink. If you manage to get over the muck in that, and if you care to venture a little further then have a look down the drain tube/pipe to the holding tank.

If the weather is warm you better put a peg on your nose, and make sure you don't look down just after eating a good dinner.

The tubes are probably ribbed to juggle around corners and guess what's collecting in each rib?

Are you ready for what you are about to discover? Well I sure aint gonna tell on here.

Perhaps you've noticed the water slow to drain out recently, if you have then action is needed pretty smartly lest it bungs up completely!

We clean our drains regularly and do not have a smell even from the waste tank. Ours has a large opening that you can get a hose or presure washer into and see where it is and what it is shifting.

There are drain cleaners available as well as good old Domestos. Our pipes are rigid and have properly formed bends. German technology or is it Italian? (SMEV)

Yes the traps get mucky from time to time and being much smaller than domestic ones I take them off regularly. They are easily cleaned.

re motorhome smells. When we first had our used Hymer 584 we had bad smells from both ends,ie sink at back and heater/air con at front.Everytime we removed the sink covers after the van had been unused for sometime up came that terrible earthy drain smell.Everytime we put the heater or air con on we had the lovely! combined smell of dried urine and bad eggs. The sink smell proved difficult at first, did all the usual thorough cleaning of pipes and waste tank, smell persists, eventually traced to main sink cover itself,on the underside was attached a chopping board, unseen slime had built-up between the two,removing the board and cleaning cured the problem,left the board off.The heater/air con smell was due to bacteria build-up in the unit,cured by 2 or 3 applications of Car Plan "KLEEN AIR" through the system. I think the previous owner had not dried the air con unit before laying up.

Brian.

Lord Raindrop - 2009-11-27 9:48 PM

Do you really think its clean? Then undo the water trap under the sink. If you manage to get over the muck in that, and if you care to venture a little further then have a look down the drain tube/pipe to the holding tank.

If the weather is warm you better put a peg on your nose, and make sure you don't look down just after eating a good dinner.

The tubes are probably ribbed to juggle around corners and guess what's collecting in each rib?

Are you ready for what you are about to discover? Well I sure aint gonna tell on here.

Perhaps you've noticed the water slow to drain out recently, if you have then action is needed pretty smartly lest it bungs up completely!

What model do you have? We have bought a new Autotrail and it atkes forever to drain anyway.

Funny you should ask...last week I bought a brush on a long wire from Kleeneze to try and clean the kitchen waste pipe in the 'van because the water was draining so slowly.

I unscrewed the sink drain for access to the pipe and found a large cavity completely full of crud that had been there for at least 5 years.

Who on earth designed that?

J9withdogs - 2009-11-28 9:43 PM

Funny you should ask...last week I bought a brush on a long wire from Kleeneze to try and clean the kitchen waste pipe in the 'van because the water was draining so slowly.

I unscrewed the sink drain for access to the pipe and found a large cavity completely full of crud that had been there for at least 5 years.

Who on earth designed that?

Who designed it ?

A computer probably.

:-(

Tomo3090 - 2009-11-29 12:35 PM

Porky our Cheyenne always drains slowly if the van is lower down at the back, even if only a little bit. If yours is a Cheyenne that might be the reason. My reasoning is it's because the waste tank is at the front end.

Ours is a Tracker EKS and when I complained to Chelston I suggested it seemed like the inlet pipe was too far into the tank and that was creating back pressure. They checked and said it was and they shortened it. Marginally better but still very slow. Obviously the slower the flow the easier it is for gunge to accumulate. Perhaps we should adopt the Rolls Royce owners attitude that when the ashtray is full, buy a new one. So when the drain gets blocked............................

Archived