How frequent to you check tyre pressure

duetto owner

As I could not get a decent tyre pump I use sainsbury's garage to check the tyre's and find that after only 3 months all 4 tyres had lost an average 10psi.

when we had a car the psi never changed over the year. I was wondering is it the poor state of the roads and road humps that is pushing the air out of the tyres or is that normal for a heavy vehicle [ford transit duetto].

how often do you check tyre pressure?

Where my motorhome is concerned I check the tyres both for pressure and condition before every trip. The 10psi differencee you have noted could be due to an inaccurate gauge, either at Sainsbury's or the one you used last time, or even a 5 psi difference in opposite directions on each of them. You need to use the same gauge each time, I use an RAC digital gauge and it is accurate enough for me.

D.

It's probable that, when you checked your tyre pressures 3 months ago, the weather was considerably warmer than it is now. If this was so, that factor alone would cause a significant reduction in your present measured pressures. You also need to be wary of the accuracy of tyre gauges.

Tyres will tend to lose pressure over time and I'm surprised by your statement "we had a car the psi never changed over the year". I've always understood that my vehicles' tyre pressures would vary according to the ambient temperature when I took the measurements and that the pressures would gradually reduce. As long as the pressures in all the tyres go down together and the reduction is what I anticipate, then it doesn't concern me.

My Skoda has a tyre-pressure monitor that exploits the vehicle's ABS system. It's a simple enough system and was a cheap enough option (£80). As most 'blow-out' tyre failures on motorhomes are probably due to the tyre gradually losing pressure while the motorhome is being driven and the tyre overheating to the point it fails catastrophically, it's a pity that a Skoda-type system is not more generally available.

I use a Perelli pump from Halfords but it isn't all that good either even though it was their most expensive one at that time.

I also use a digital pressure guage to make sure, never rely on what any pump guage says because they can be wildly inaccurate.

I have Ultra Seal in the car and caravan tyres and over the last two and a half years they have not lost any pressure at all, (except when I had two bursts) and in that time I have covered over 25/30,000 miles

I get my Ultra Seal from www.swiftlysorted.co.uk, found it easy to put in and the guy is most helpful, well worth having in the tyres

I had a new tyre fitted to the car the other day at Tyre Spot. I do not think they are a National company.

They had a photocopied article about the benefits of using Nitrogen instead of air and it sounded quite impressive. You should not get any interaction of the Oxygen into the rubber and slight loss of pressure.

They say it is commonly used for high speed tyres and heavy industrial use. I was interested in using Nitrogen but did not get the chance to ask them about it as they were very busy.

I have just sourced a 16" wheel rim to have a spare tyre and I will ask the question about Nitrogen when they fit me a camping car tyre next week.

BTW this article must have originated in the USA.

When you think how much faith we put in our tyres it amazes me how cavaliar people are with tyre pressures. Ask a biker how often he checks his (or hers) tyre pressures and you will probably get the answer at least once a week. On two wheels and with a few square inches of surface contact correct pressures are paramount. That is why I think everyone should learn to ride on two wheels before they enjoy the luxury (and the illusion of safety) of four. Having said that I baulked at the price for a tyre monitor system from Kwik Fit although I have fitted their tyreon bands for peace of mind of being able to get to somewhere safe to have a tyre repaired or replaced.

Roy Fuller

Porky - 2009-11-29 6:14 PM

Ask a biker how often he checks his (or hers) tyre pressures and you will probably get the answer at least once a week. Roy Fuller

Roy,

I've "survived" motorbikes since 1978, currently commuting 50 miles a day on a big Honda and I agree with your comments on checking my bike tyre pressures weekly.

At the work end of my commute I am a driver trainer for the emergency services and daily vehicle checks see the pressures and general condition being checked without fail.

You are correct in how important those few square inches of contact are, whether it's minimal contact of a motorbike's tyres, higher speeds of emergency driving or simply the heavy weight that a lot of our MH's weigh in at, we all need to stay on top of our tyres.

I always check tyre pressures at the start of a trip and then about once every two weeks.

In between during driving breaks I walk around and feel tyre temperatures to spot possible underinflation.

I also do a quick under-bonnet check : drive belts,engine oil, coolant, brake fluid and screenwash levels at the end of a days drive.

I hate tow ropes.

I use our big mains compressor to check the tyres before every trip. At £150 from Machinemart it seems like a good deal compared to the £30k we paid for the van.

On the road I use a really cheap and nasty 12 volt vaccuum cleaner cum tyre inflator bought from the weekend papers by a deranged idiot type member of my wife's family and given to me as a Christmas present.

It's brilliant! we've been using it for years, never a problem, and it has quite good suction too. The pressure gave gives the same reading as the big one, and I think it's better than any 12 volt tyre inflator I ever had.

As for checking the other things, we have a Mercedes, we don't need to.

AGD

duetto owner - 2009-11-29 9:11 AM

As I could not get a decent tyre pump I use sainsbury's garage to check the tyre's and find that after only 3 months all 4 tyres had lost an average 10psi.

As you drive to Sainsbury's how hot are your tyres when you check them?

They should be checked cold at least half an hour after stopping. Do your shopping first then check them.

As for me I check them before every trip I find they loose a couple of pounds over a month.

maggyd - 2009-11-29 4:05 PM

We lost pressure over 3 months about 10 to 12 lbs this was due to a leak in stainless steel valve leaking where it is connected to the alloy wheel we had it replaced and since no more problem.

I pumps em up to 80 psi (recomended by Fiat) dont check them for 8 months or so, by which time they are down to 55 psi (as recommended by Michelin)

:D

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2009-12-02 6:56 PM

I pumps em up to 80 psi (recomended by Fiat) dont check them for 8 months or so, by which time they are down to 55 psi (as recommended by Michelin)D

Rgds

80 PSI! Why not just fit solid tyres, never need to worry about punctures.

By the most fabulous example of really bad timing, everything for our van falls due in the few weeks leading up to our main summer holiday, RFL, insurance,MOT, breakdown cover, club membership, annual service, and as a bonus this year, 5 new tyres. As a consequence, I can set off for the hot and sunny bits without having anything to check, other than the tyre pressures and a bit of air if required in the spring assisters. I wouldn't be bothered to own any vehicle that would not cover 3000 odd miles in three weeks without any trouble, other than to check the tyres before the long runs, and on the basis that we only do 5 or 6,000 miles each year it will be years before we need to even change a brake pad, even longer before big bits start to wear out.

I am quite fastideous about tyres though, before anyone else points it out, yes that means I am fast and hideous as well, and having had a rear tyre on my big salooon car explode on me whilst I was travelling at 70 mph on the M4 ,honest., I have no wish to repeat the experience, especially in the van. My fantastic skill and years of experience counted for nothing and I was unbelievebly lucky and did not hit anything.

The tyres are the only things that keep us in contact with the ground, thereby giving us the use of our brakes and steering, you neglect them at your peril, and possibly other peoples peril too.

AGD

747 - 2009-11-29 11:26 AM

I had a new tyre fitted to the car the other day at Tyre Spot. I do not think they are a National company.

They had a photocopied article about the benefits of using Nitrogen instead of air and it sounded quite impressive. You should not get any interaction of the Oxygen into the rubber and slight loss of pressure.

They say it is commonly used for high speed tyres and heavy industrial use. I was interested in using Nitrogen but did not get the chance to ask them about it as they were very busy.

I have just sourced a 16" wheel rim to have a spare tyre and I will ask the question about Nitrogen when they fit me a camping car tyre next week.

BTW this article must have originated in the USA.

These are a couple of links relating to 'nitrogen inflation' of vehicle tyres:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/nitrogen.html

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/filling-tyres-with-nitrogen.html

GOOGLE-ing on "tyre nitrogen" will retrieve plenty more stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

maggyd - 2009-11-29 4:05 PM

We lost pressure over 3 months about 10 to 12 lbs this was due to a leak in stainless steel valve leaking where it is connected to the alloy wheel we had it replaced and since no more problem.

I pumps em up to 80 psi (recomended by Fiat) dont check them for 8 months or so, by which time they are down to 55 psi (as recommended by Michelin)

Rgds

If your using 80psi you are giving your suspension components a right hammering not to mention the shaking of the internal fitments and delicate electronics such as TV etc. We have a Rapido like yours but slightly larger and use the 60p.s.i as recomended by Michelin. I use a cheap electric pump from Halfords which works well enough. It has a built in digital gauge but I use a very accurate dial gauge. Our tyre retain the pressure vertually all season with a drop of around only 2 or 3 p.s.i..

Regular use helps retain the pressure and using the same gauge with the tyres at the same temperature gives consistant results. If you use a garage pump with the tyres warm you will in effect be under inflating them.

Rgds

It was (supposed to be) a joke. >:-) But thanks to those that were expressed concern about over inflated tyres !

For the record I run @ 56psi all round as recommended by Michellin.

Rgds

Archived