Autosleeper Nuevo Lighting and Toilet flush

Guest Neil Baker

Guest Neil Baker
I have recently bought an Autosleeper Nuevo ES and have found that when the engine is running, the interior lights and the toilet flush are not available. Why does some designer think that these items should be switched off while the vehicle is in motion? Does anyone know how I can bypass the relays/switches to enable these services on the move. Is it related to more 'EEC Rules' which are imposed for our own good and to help us through life without thinking for ourselves? (Anti EEC Hobby Horse riding there!). Neil

Guest Brian Kirby
Neil I hope you don't literally mean using the toilet while the vehicle is being driven on a road! I don't think it needs a EEC egghead to realise that would be very undesirable. Bear in ming the toilet is not equipped with a seat belt. Therefore, just imagine the effects of a good sharp stab of the brakes: 1 Occupant expelled from throne. 2 Contents of throne expelled onto occupant. 3 Both arrive at front of motorhome, still travelling at pre braking speed. 4 Occupant, contents etc leave via windscreen. Now, try explaining that little lot to your friendly traffic patrol! On the question of interior lights, you'd generally only need these when ambient light levels are low. That is also when the vehicle lights would usually be on, so the driver can see where he/she is going. If the interior lights are on under these conditions, the driver's ability to see is impaired. It has been a requirement for the driver of an otherwise internally lit vehicle to be shielded from the interior lights since I was in short trousers. Think of all those bus drivers! Since most motorhomes can be driven on an ordinary car license without additional driver training, isolating the interior lights when the engine is running is a fail safe way to ensure people don't drive around after dark with the interior lights on. Of course, if you really do want to do both of these things, I think you'll have demonstrated exactly why the powers that be do prevent us going through our lives thinking for ourselves! Regards Brian

Guest roger s
Most modern motorhomes have to have the 12v habitation circuit shut off when the engine is running, AFAIA it has nothing to do with the EEC,

Guest Bill Ord
When I had an Autotrail Cheyenne 635 I removed one of the wires from the relay that switched the twelve volt off when the motor was running this did the job. I imagine most vans have a similar arrangement, contact your dealer for details. My dealer was always having this request so I think Brian Kirby may hold a minority opinion on this one and my wife would certainly disagree however each to his own. Bill Ord

Guest docted
Maybe Brian doesn't travel by bus anymore after all he has a motorhome. Certainly buses round here do not seperate driver from onboard lights. Docted

Guest Peter B
I believe that the reason the 'caravan' electrics are isolated when the engine is running is to do with engine management computer, which can possibly be damaged if this is not done. I am sure that a more comprehensive answer (probably proving me wrong!) will appear in due course. I do know that this situation occurs with most, if not all, conversions.

Archived