Figure this out

Guest peter

3 MEN GO INTO A HOTEL. THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK SAID THE ROOM IS ?30.00 SO

EACH MAN PAID ?10.00 AND WENT TO THE ROOM.

A WHILE LATER THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK REALIZED THE ROOM WAS ONLY ?25.00

SO HE SENT THE BELLBOY TO THE 3 GUYS' ROOM WITH ?5.00

ON THE WAY THE BELLBOY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO SPLIT ?5.00 EVENLY

BETWEEN 3 MEN, SO HE GAVE EACH MAN A ?1.00 AND KEPT THE OTHER ?2.00 FOR

HIMSELF.

THIS MEANT THAT THE 3 MEN EACH PAID ?9.00 FOR THE ROOM, WHICH IS A TOTAL

OF ?27.00, ADD THE ?2.00 THAT THE BELLBOY KEPT = ?29.00

WHERE IS THE OTHER POUND?

3 ducks. I think

Regarding the boat, a few years ago we were in Brixam doing some diving and watched a young lad moor his speedboat to the harbour wall, it was high tide so he knew he could nip into town for a couple of hours before the tide went out and would leave him stranded, what he didn't take into account though, was that if you moor a boat to a fixed jetty and keep your mooring line tight, when the tide starts to fall......... you can guess the rest.

He came back to find his boat suspended 6 foot above the water line. When he asked us why our rib hadn't done the same, we pointed out that we had moored to a floating platform that fell and rose with the tide. :D :D

Many years ago, when I used to work nightshifts, my local radio station ran a little mathematical brainteaser one night, which at first sounded simple enough.

It turned out to be a lot harder than I first thought :-

If you put 1 penny on the first square of a chess board, then 2 pence on the second square, then 4 pence on the third square, then 8 pence on the fourth..... continuing to double the amount on each new square, How much money would you need to cover the entire board ? 8-)

Back in the early 80's we didn't have such luxuries as Googling and seeing as my trusty scientific calculator didn't have the capacity I ended up working it out the hard way over a few days :-S

From memory, I thought the figure was greater - are you sure Mr Google didn't stop at the amount on square 64.

If so, he'll have to go back over every previous square adding each of them to the amount on the last square, to come to the total on the board.

Whatever the end figure, I wish I had it in my bank account :-D

A the end of term, my maths teacher set us this one.

There were two countries, Northia and Southia, with an open border between them. Since their currencies had always been of equal value, businesses in the border area used to accept them indiscriminately.

But one day, their Finance ministers fell out. The Northian govt passed a law saying that in future a Southian Dollar (S$) would only be worth 90 Northian cents (Nc).

In retaliation, the Southians passed a law that an N$ would only be worth 90 Sc.

Now there happened to be a man in Southia who needed a 10c pack of razorblades, so he paid with a 1S$ note, and the chemist gave him a N$ (=90Sc) as change. Are you following me so far?

He then hopped over the border, used this N$ note to buy another pack of razorblades, and the chemist there gave him a S$ note (=90Nc - do keep up!) as his change.

So he ended up with the 1S$ note he started with, PLUS two 10c packs of razorblades. So he'd gained 20cents. The question is,

WHO "LOST" THAT 20 CENTS?

Archived