Camping Card or Camping cheque

boxer1

We are going to the South of Spain in May and June 2010 for the first time. Could you please advise me what is best, Camping Card or Camping Cheque. We intend to wildcamp where possible but would be concerned as to our safety and availability of wild sites.

Boxer1

Hi boxer1 the advantage with camping cheques is that you don't have to carry cash, If you are going to use them I would suggest that you take the gold card route that way you can always increase you stops by loading either online or at the campsite. The downside is that with the poor exchange rate they work out a bit pricey. Hope you have a good trip wichever you choose . John. (lol)

We always take a mixture of both to give us the maximum choice of sites. In reality there is little difference in the way of cost with Camping Cheques costing about £14 each and the ACSI Card ranging from between €11 and €15, but the majority seem to be in the higher price band. One possible disadvantage with Camping Cheques is that you have to commit to buying them before you use them, although they are valid for 2 years for paper cheques and the Silver card and 4 years for the Gold Card but the Gold Card costs the equivalent of 3 Camping Cheques but it does have som additional benefits like free advance booking on some sites and there is a reward system.

David

With camping cheques you have pre-paid for sites you might use to get a discount.

With the ACSI card you only pay when you use a site which for me makes more sence.

A CAMPING CARD is something different and is mearly a copy of your basic passport details so you don,t need to give the camp site operator your passport in case you do a runner!

C.

Hi Boxer

We went to Spain/Portugal, in May/june/july this year. Have to agree with Clive, ACSI is good value the saving on the sites more than pays for £11. charge of the card/book. IMO paying in advance (camping Cheques) would make me feel I have to use them. We went to one site, where they took camping cheques, and it was an expensive one, all singing /dancing, which was not for us. Only went there because we had arranged to meet up with others who went to use their CC's up, as time was about to expire on them..We also use the Caravan Club europe book, as a good back up for sites. We shall be going back in 2010, and have ordered our Acsi card already. May be we will bump into you on our travels, as we go May, come home beging July

Pauline

boxer1 - 2009-11-29 9:42 PM

We are going to the South of Spain in May and June 2010 for the first time. Could you please advise me what is best, Camping Card or Camping Cheque. We intend to wildcamp where possible but would be concerned as to our safety and availability of wild sites.

Boxer1

Note what Clive explains about CAMPING CARD. I think you are getting confused with the ACSI card in your question.

Do read the 'Camping Cheques' thread on this forum. It covers the information you require.

It is also correct that the Camping Caravanning Club are not doing their own Freedom Camping Scheme next year (as referred to in the Camping Cheques thread) but have linked up with ACSI.

What do you mean about 'wild sites'? Do you mean 'aires'? If so, you may wish to purchase 'All the aires - France' from Vicarious books.

There are also some entries about 'aires' on this forum. It may seem strange but there is reference to them in the thread 'The friendly club?'

boxer1 - 2009-11-29 9:42 PM

Boxer1

Note what Clive explains about CAMPING CARD. I think you are getting confused with the ACSI card in your question.

Do read the 'Camping Cheques' thread on this forum. It covers the information you require.

It is also correct that the Camping Caravanning Club are not doing their own Freedom Camping Scheme next year (as referred to in the Camping Cheques thread) but have linked up with ACSI.

What do you mean about 'wild sites'? Do you mean 'aires'? If so, you may wish to purchase 'All the aires - France' from Vicarious books.

There are also some entries about 'aires' on this forum. It may seem strange but there is reference to them in the thread 'The friendly club?'

We have found the Gold Card so unreliable in use we have decided not to use them again. Unreliable! Well they have to be updated by the camp site you using at that moment. Last year it seems all of the camp sites were not able to update, had problems updating, were too busy to update. Then having to phone Camping Cheques in the UK to confirm previous camp site had updated correctly. I could go on and on! We have decided to try the ACSI card where you present the card when required. You must check the ACSI map when deciding, as many camp sites have their Logo displayed, but when presenting the card, we were often told they don't do the ACSI card!

BrianBW - 2009-11-30 5:10 PM

We have found the Gold Card so unreliable in use we have decided not to use them again. Unreliable! Well they have to be updated by the camp site you using at that moment. Last year it seems all of the camp sites were not able to update, had problems updating, were too busy to update. Then having to phone Camping Cheques in the UK to confirm previous camp site had updated correctly. I could go on and on! We have decided to try the ACSI card where you present the card when required. You must check the ACSI map when deciding, as many camp sites have their Logo displayed, but when presenting the card, we were often told they don't do the ACSI card!

I tend to agree its a bit confusing but ACSI as an organisation inspects lots of sites to be included in their main site book. To take advantage of the ACSI Card, which offers discounted stays you can only go by the directory that comes with the card. We always research our sites before leaving the previous site.

David

David

I have ordered the ACSI book for 2010 and the Aires book for Spain. From all the advice given I think I'll order a few Camping Cheques as well as this will leave me plenty of choice.

Mel

Wild sites, I mean wild camping on the beaches or wherever safe.

I have used the French Passion booklet, would the Spanish one be any good.

Thanks for all replies.

Boxer (lol)

Hi mirage I've had the gold card for 3years and had no problems with it . One of the good things about it is that you can free book from site to site, the French sites are realy helpful but then it is their invention. The few English sites are learning how to help as well but at £14 are not exactly a bargain. John. 8-)

Hi,

ACSI Camping Card, comes with the small site directory and map showing around about 1300/1400 sites, the card itself is found imprinted into the pull out front page of the guide. ONLY if you have this card will you be entitled to LOW SEASON discounts offered by the 1330/1400 sites,

YOU WILL NOT get the discounts if you only have the ACSI large site book or DVD,

http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/home/uc33-l2-n253/

Camping Card International (Garnet) this is a card that can be purchased from most of the main camping clubs and the RAC, AA and ADAC, some link you back to one of the clubs.

This card provides you with a level of insurance and in a lot of cases discount on site fee's, it is normally accepted in place of your passport at campsites,

The cost is around £5 and in my opinion well worth carrying, some of the scandinavian countries may require you to have one of these, or in some cases you may need to purchase a similar type card in the scandinavian country you are visiting.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/GeneralR.asp?id=86

More about the CCI card

http://www.campingcardinternational.com/published/cci/content/pagina/engels/subhomepage-engels.nl.html

Hope that helps, we always carry both cards

Just a word of caution - apparently sites are only able to offer discounts for either the Camping Cheques OR ACSI; not both. So as many sites change from one to the other you need to use that year's information and not rely on an old book. Also if you decide to book online many sites do not advertise their discounts on their websites so go by the cheques or ACSI site books information. Also on some sites (I was on one last year - Amfora in Spain) will only allow use of their standard pitches (quite understandably) but will not allow you to pay an extra fee to upgrade to a better one.

Archived