water tank

haggismx

This is an earlier thread that may be useful

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3082&posts=12

Thetford also markets products for cleaning/sanitising fresh-water tanks. See:

http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/ChemicalsCleanersHome/FreshWaterTankSanitizer/tabid/133/Default.aspx

My own view is that, as long as you follow Milton's instructions very carefully, use only a suitably dilute solution, don't leave it in your motorhome's water system for an extended period, and make sure the system is thoroughly flushed through with fresh water after the cleaning treatment, then Milton will be OK.

Neat Milton will rapidly 'eat' stainless steel, but shouldn't do harm if it's well diluted and then quickly flushed away. I know Truma documentation warns against chlorine-type cleaners like Milton, but when I asked the Truma(UK) technicians about using it that was their opinion.

Guest Tracker

I use ordinary chlorinated tap water to flush out the tank once a year.

A few days before using it for the first time fill it and empty it then fill it again and leave overnight before draining ready to be refilled for use. If you can drive it a few miles when full and before emptying it it sloshes the water about a bit which might, or might not, help the cleansing process.

I have been doing this for over 30 years and have never had a problem with drinking water from the tank.

Guest Tracker
dshague - 2009-12-01 6:14 PM

tracker is  chlorinated tap water  what the wife puts in the iron ? .how much do you put in per litre tank thanks

Chlorinated tap water is what it says it is!

That is ordinary water that comes out of the cold tap that has been purified and chlorinated by the water company - and we use it neat and undiluted!

The water that is supposed to go into a steam iron is supposed to be what used to be known as distilled water but is now known as demineralised or deionised water - that's progress for you!

We used boiled water that has cooled in the steam iron as we are too idle and tight to go and buy the proper stuff - does anyone?

Tracker - 2009-12-01 7:16 PM

We used boiled water that has cooled in the steam iron as we are too idle and tight to go and buy the proper stuff - does anyone?

25(? ) years ago when we moved to 'the old house' gf put an old ironing board in the spare bedroom, first time I went to use it, it colapsed landing on my toes(where was the risk assessment and PPE) so I chucked it out the window, couple of years ago she brought a new one, it's mainly used for storing paperwork(hers I should add), thus saving on de-ionised water and electricity.

Brian Kirby - 2009-12-01 6:20 PM

Most irons require demineralised water.

All tap water in UK is chlorinated, but is unsuitable for most irons.

Minor correction - all tap water in UK from water companies may be chlorinated and may also have been recycled many times. Because there was no public water supply to our property when we moved to the highlands, nearly 30 years ago our water comes from a private supply - a bore hole in the garden - and it is naturally recycled (details on application!) It is not chlorinated and is suitable for a steam iron.On the Milton debate, at a professional level, we have been sterilising food manufacturing equipment - both plastic and stainless steel - with recommended dilution of Milton for 10 years plus, and I can confirm that if it is rinsed with water (in this situation chlorinated, water company water) it causes no damage to plastic or stainless steel. I would therefore recommend it for flushing a water tank, as long as it is rinsed well, immedieately.

Hello, we also use tap water to flush, leave it in overnight and refill before leaving if not travelling too far or not sure of supply situation. Fill on site if travelling distance and sure of supply.

Soft water areas may be ok for irons but hard water (chalky) will clog them up. They can, of course be cleared with a little drop of diluted acid (vinegar)

Tracker - 2009-12-01 7:16 PM

I do! I buy it 'in bulk' from Auchan (or wherever) as it's only about 1,30 euro for a 5 litre container, about a quarter of the price here! We are in a hard water area and even our boiled water is hard!!! Besides, I don't want to knacker my iron prematurely ... it cost all of 50p from a car boot sale so gotta get my money's worth out of it!!! :-D

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-12-02 7:41 PM

Besides, I don't want to knacker my iron prematurely ... it cost all of 50p from a car boot sale so gotta get my money's worth out of it!!! :-D

When we meet one day Mel I'll give you one of our old irons as I am always happy to help a fellow potential pensioner save 50p and recycling to a needy cause is better than chucking it away!

Just to add my tuppence-Worth to the debate, I used to use Milton regularly to sterilise the whole water system in my Caravan (yes, Once was a tugger). Then i got a water leak from the tank of the Carver hot water boiler, I managed to get another tank (almost impossible Now !) and fitted it. The 'Old' tank (2 years old) had several pinprick holes through the plastic liner,through the alluminium tank and a lump of white 'bleach like' powder lodged over the holes..... powerful stuff Milton. Now this system HAD been flushed but Milton still manged to eat it's way through the plastic lined Alloy tank.

Obviously small bits of debris in the tank absorbed the Milton, then sat in there 'eating away' ? I don't use Milton Now. I use the stuff that home brewers sterilise their equipment with, No nasty warnings of flush VERY often. So, hopefully Not dangerous to metals (it says it isn't) Ray

I have never used Milton as it was stated never to use it in the Carver water heater manual with the advice that it would eat through the boiler tank. They recomended a steriliser used by home brewers that I have always used effectively but it is no longer available.

It is replaced by VWP cleaner steriliser which is safe for use on stanless stell and aluminium and more importantly it is safe for use where potable water is being used from the containers after sterilisation. It is obtainable from home brew stores or from the net with a Google search eg see

http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalog/AoB_OnLine_Catalogue_Steriliser___Cleaner___________39.html

We have always sterilised at the start of the season or after there has been more than a one month break in use, or if the tank has been left empty for more than two weeks in hot weather.

Bas

magbrin - 2009-12-01 9:27 PM ......... On the Milton debate, at a professional level, we have been sterilising food manufacturing equipment - both plastic and stainless steel - with recommended dilution of Milton for 10 years plus, and I can confirm that if it is rinsed with water (in this situation chlorinated, water company water) it causes no damage to plastic or stainless steel. I would therefore recommend it for flushing a water tank, as long as it is rinsed well, immedieately.

The problem, I think, with this, is the ability to flush all traces of Milton out of a water heater tank.  You can't see into it whatever make it is, and there will be an inevitable residue left at the bottom.  If the van is then used, and water flushed regularly through the tank, there should not be a problem.  However, if the sterilisation is carried out at the end of the season, and the van is then unused for several months, any residue may cause trouble.  As ever, it's horses for courses - hard and fast rules can't be applied!

Archived