ELEKTROBLOCK EBL

bobbo

I have a N & B ARTO 59 van and I am having trouble with the living area electrics. The internal lighting is a bit dim and the gas boiler is not too happy to run and if any switches are touched the gas boiler switches itself off. The leisure batteries are now reading only 11.4 volts. At first I thought that the batteries were finished as they are 6 years old but a local garage tested them and said they were OK. Even though after charging on my car charger they seem reluctant to go above 11.4 Volts. The garage thought the van charger unit may be at fault, its a ELEKTROBLOCK EBL 4-106. Has anybody had any problems with this unit? Its located under a floor hatch so difficult to look at. Any other ideas of where to look would be appreciated.

Sounds like one cell has failed in leisure battery, maybe even a couple.

SO I would 1st of all replace the batteries. Try the electrics with the battery disconnected and see if the lights are brighter and boiler works ok with all the lights switched on etc. - it shoud be able to supply all this and keep a healthy 12.5 volts or more, more like 13.5. If so I doubt charger/power supply is faulty.

There are well documented reliability problems with the Schaudt Electroblock power supplies. You should return the unit to Schaudt for repair. This is the most efficient way to get it done.

The man at Schaudt is

Udo Lang, Technischer Kundendienst.

Schaudt GmbH Elektrotechnik & Apparatebau

Daimlerstr. 5 - 88677 Markdorf - Germany

email: kundendienst@schaudt-gmbh.de

Tel. +49 7544 9577-70 Fax +49 - 7544 - 9577-49

Guest Tracker

Fair enough Clive - but how does that equate with batteries failing to charge on an independent charger - always assuming the battery electrolite is at an adequate level?

If the batteries are not getting above 11.5 when being charged on a separate charger it obviously points to a duff cell.

If the batteries are ok on an independent charger and the charger in the 'van is not getting 'em charged it would be a good idea to 1st check the Schaudt before going to the expense of replacing it. The favourite problem is an internal slow blow fuse. To get at it you will have to get the E block out and remove the cover (unfortunately it is not with the other fuses on top of the unit) where you will find a glass fuse on the main circuit board.

The usual reason for the fuse to fail is when the charger has been used under voltage - It happened to ours after a stay on a site where the voltage was continuously under 200 v. have had other reports of the same problem with other Schaudts.

Or a bad connection on a battery terminal perhaps.

Maybe I was a tad quick at pointing a finger at the Electroblock but it is the only one of the motorhome electrical systems that has regularly reported failures on several forums.

C.

Archived