Mont Cenis Pass into Italy

chris

Guest Chris
Has anybody taken a motorhome over this pass? If so any advice about the pass and sites on French and the Italian sides?

Chris I think what you really need is the Caravan Club "Caravan Europe" sites guides. These contain good information on the campsites in France and Spain, provided by users and not roaming inspectors, with an excellent section on the European tunnels and passes that is included in both. For France and Italy you'll need both volumes I and 2 of Caravan Europe, obtainable from The Caravan Club at £11.99 each, also from some bookshops. Vol 1 does 4,450 sites in France, Spain, Portugal and Andorra. Vol 2 does 3,300 sites in Austria, Benelux, Eastern Europe, Germany, Greece, Italy, Scandinavia and Switzerland. The Mont Cenis pass is said to be 12.5% max gradient, 5M road width, generally good surface, easy climb, good scenery and many stopping places. It sounds fairly easy unless your motorhome is huge, but it is usually closed November to May. The nearest permanently open alternative is the Frejus tunnel. However, check for roadworks dates, as there may still be some restrictions in operation. www.atmb.net Hope this helps.

ciao hallo, I'm italian, and I live near Turin, so I know the Moncenisio pass. The pass is closed for snow from october to april- may, it depends on the weather. The climbing from Lanslebourg (F) to the pass, is not particulary hard, but with many curves. The descent from the pass to Susa (I) is easier than the climb. For any information about the aree di sosta take a look to www.camperonline.it the most famous italian site about motorhomes. Click on the left dark green frame , on the voice "aree di sosta Italia" or "aree di sosta estero" for Italy or foreign motorhomes parking, with water and services.You can found also information about camping sites in the same frame. ciao, Silvio Miller oregon 1.9td driver

Archived