Problems with CI Carioca

Guest Donna Winter

Guest Donna Winter
Last year we took the pludge and upgraded from a E reg auto sleeper to a 2005 CI Carioca. During the winter the van has been laid up but we noticed mould has appeared with in the van floors, walls and seats. Also we only used the van for thirty days last year but we have noticed the front seats have began to fray. Some of the fittings have also started to become loose- table leg, side of dinette seats. Having not had any problems like this with the old van we are a little disappointed, are these a one of, or are other CI owners having the same problems? We are due to take the van back to the dealer to look at this week but any information/help appreciated.

Guest Mel E
Donna, it sounds very much as though the mould has arisen from condensation inside the motorhome during the extremely cold weather we've been having. If a motohome (or any vehicle) is left unheated and unventilated, then any moisture in the atmosphere will condense out and such moisture is a perfect place for mould spores to develop. And, yes, it is quite common - especially with seats and beds on flat ply surfaces, as the seats absorb loads of body moisture when warm and then precipitate it when the vehicle cools down. As for worn, loose parts, that's down to the dealer. CI are at the budget end of the motorhome market, but that's no reason why things should tear/break that quickly.

Guest Brian Kirby
Donna Just a thought, but you could try looking around your van for indications as to how old it actually is. It is possible that the dealer had it in stock for some time before you got it and it may have become damp then. The base vehicle manufacturer (Fiat?) technical department should be able to tell you from the VIN when it was manufactured. You may find tell-tale codes or actual dates on the CI bits that will indicate when it was converted. Just another thought, is there any chance the body seams are leaking? The dealer should, perhaps, do a full moisture test just in case any of the joints are faulty. Where has it been stored over the winter? Has it been driven around from time to time since you last actually camped in it? If not, I suspect Mell is probably right and it is lack of heat/ventilation. Too late now for this winter, but if you do lay-up your van totally for the winter, it is wise to remove all the foam bed mattresses, seat cushions and backs etc, to your home if at all possible. If this is not possible, upend them all in the van so that they are standing upright and air can circulate freely around and between them. Also, leave all cupboard, wardrobe and washroom etc doors open so that air moves around the interior as freely as possible. If you can, place either a small electric greenhouse type heater in the van, or a dehumidifier. If the latter you'll have to visit periodically to empty the condensate trap unless it can be mounted over the sink, when it could be allowed to drain into that. However, you'd have to leave the waste tank drain open and you'd still be wise to check for ice build up in the tank/drain. If none of these is practical, get bags of silica gel and place them in the van. This will soak moisture from the air quite effecitvely. You'll need to check the gel periodically, to see if it becoming exhausted. However, it can be regenerated in your oven and is then as good as new again. If the van is in an inconvenient location, get two lots and keep one at home so a quick swap can be made whenever you visit. As Mel says, frayed seats and things coming loose are definitely for the dealer to rectify. Hope this helps Brian

Guest richardoakley
Hi I have a CI Cipro 55 whcih I have had for nearly one year and, to date, have had no real problems in fact I can only praise most of the quality. The mould is only due to lack of ventilation and damp. A small heater or de-humidifier will do the trick. I use a small fan heater set to just above the frost setting and even the salt stays free running!

I've had a Carioca 10 for five years with barely a hint of a problem (replaced and electric step switch). After use in the winter we drain down hot and cold tanks (just open their drain taps) and open all the sink taps to allow water to back-drain. Before use we try to get it out of storage the night before so as to leave a convector heater on low overnight to warm the van and give it an airing.

Hi Donna I have the CI Riviera 2000 model, over the past 3 winters I have stored it in a garage, no heating, and have had no trouble with the damp, I give the engine a run for around 20 - 30 mins every 6 to 8 weeks, with the cab heater / fan blower on full blast, I also drive it a few feet to turn the wheels, as for the trim, I have not had any trouble with any area of the habitation, in fact the build quality is better than some of the up-market MHs, Good luck Cowly

Hi donna We own a 2005 carioca 625 just under a year old with only a few miles on the clock.We are experiencing the same problems as yourself.Exspecially the front seat and sofa in the habitation area.They are frayed and coming apart .I dont know if it is the material that is used for this year or the workmanship.We like yourself will have to return to a dealer. Barrie

Archived