tyre sealant

rolling r

On a visit to the N.E.C. show I purchased suff called Seal a wheel puncture sealant prevention system to put into our M H tyres befor a puncture.It looked a good idear at the show.but befor going ahead with the job I had a word with my garage man.He said that eney suff like seal a wheel has a damage effect on the inside of the tyre.I carry a spare unlike a lot of people but I would like your opinion on the use of seal a wheel. *-)

I had Punctureseal fitted to my Ford based coachbuilt, with a spare wheel, 15 months ago and have travelled 3000 miles, mostly on the continent. This product has the approval of and is used by The Post Office. I was sceptical at first but following comments, from very respected members of this forum on a previous thread I had it done as did my brother and a friend. To date we are all happy and drive with confidence, especially on the continent where thieves can try to flag you down pretending that you have a puncture. So you can give them 2 fingers and keep on driving.

As you will not have a tyre go flat if an object penetrates the tyre you need to inspect the tyre on a regular basis.

I would say install the product if you are confident with its quality.

I would spare a though for your tyre fitter. I enquired about tyre sealants when I had my tyres replaced and the fitters said that it was not possible to do a repair on a tyre that had the stuff in it and they charged more to fit replacement tyres because of the mess made when they removed the damaged tyre. You pays your money and takes your chance. John 8-)

teflon2 - 2009-12-08 8:10 PM

I would spare a though for your tyre fitter. I enquired about tyre sealants when I had my tyres replaced and the fitters said that it was not possible to do a repair on a tyre that had the stuff in it and they charged more to fit replacement tyres because of the mess made when they removed the damaged tyre. You pays your money and takes your chance. John 8-)

This is simply not true with the sealers you put in before you get a puncture, their seems to be a general mixup with the type you put in before a puncture and the stuff you inject when you have a puncture. I put in my van from new, I do not carry a spare, and cannot say if it works or not but I do know that since April 2008 have not put any air at all in my tyres. It can be injected without letting the tyres down but will have to be done for you. I also have it in my scooter, it is generally more widely used in the motorcycle world.

I had a product called Puncturesafe put into my tyres about 2 years and 18,000 miles ago. No problems since. Tyres do not loose any pressure. Had to have 1 tyre replaced a year later due to a manufacturing fault. The Punctureseal had coated all the inside with about a cup-ful still in liquid form in the tyre. The material easily washed off the inside of the tyre and the wheel rim with cold water and seems fully water soluable.. Could see no reason why any puncture could not be repaired. I have no connection with the company that makes or supplies this product.

Richard.

teflon2 - 2009-12-08 8:10 PM

You will seldom have to get a puncture repaired if you have this sealant and if you should need a puncture repair then the tyre will be kaput anyway so that seems a poor argument to me

Rupert's post claims that you do not need to let the tyres down in order to install this stuff? Surely not as the back pressure from air in the tyres would simply prevent the material from getting into the valve.

I have used puncture seal on bicycles and you have to deflate the tyre completely in order to inject the material through the valve.

However, if Rupert is correct, how do you install this stuff? Are special tools needed?

Mike88 - 2009-12-09 8:48 AM

Rupert's post claims that you do not need to let the tyres down in order to install this stuff? Surely not as the back pressure from air in the tyres would simply prevent the material from getting into the valve.

I have used puncture seal on bicycles and you have to deflate the tyre completely in order to inject the material through the valve.

However, if Rupert is correct, how do you install this stuff? Are special tools needed?

This is a fact I sat and watched them do it. They did let some air out and had to put some back at the finish but by no means did they let it all out. I did say in my post you could not do this yourself. Have no idea how it worked as not really interested but the bottles of solution emptied so it went somewhere. I would assume you simply have to put it in with more pressure than is in the tyre.

When sealant is installed in a tyre by a specialized fitter he will let some air out of the tyre as he removes the valve, then sealant is injected under pressure from his pump, he refits the valve & blows the tyre back to the original pressure.

When its done at home with a bottle you need to let out all of the air so you can squirt the sealant in then refit the valve & blow the tyre up.

old fashion sealants were latex based & the tyre couldn't be repaired,

the new sealants should be water based & can be cleaned of using a damp cloth.

However make sure you have your wheels balanced before having a sealant installed in your tyre's. ;-)

Guest Tracker
Paul- - 2009-12-09 7:25 PM

However make sure you have your wheels balanced before having a sealant installed in your tyre's. ;-)

Interesting point Paul?

Why balance before and not afterwards - as my lack of knowledge on the subject would have led me to have done - there must be a good reason?

All is now clear. A professional has the equipment necessary to avoid tyre deflation and a DIY job requires the tyre to be deflated.

Any recommendations for companies that provide an installation service? Do these companies install at the shows?

Hi stalwart glad that you ride a scooter because there is no way I would put this stuff in the Z rated tyres on my motorcycle. Not wishing to labour the point but if you look on the website (tyresafe.org) you will find either on FAQs or tyresafe information that they do not recommend using pre puncture sealants mainly because in the event of unnoticed tyre damage you could be unknowingly using a tyre that could have catastrophic failure. Now I dont know if this site has an agender but the conclusion makes sense to me. You pays your money and takes your chance. John *-)

teflon2 - 2009-12-09 10:46 PM

Hi stalwart glad that you ride a scooter because there is no way I would put this stuff in the Z rated tyres on my motorcycle. Not wishing to labour the point but if you look on the website (tyresafe.org) you will find either on FAQs or tyresafe information that they do not recommend using pre puncture sealants mainly because in the event of unnoticed tyre damage you could be unknowingly using a tyre that could have catastrophic failure. Now I dont know if this site has an agender but the conclusion makes sense to me. You pays your money and takes your chance. John *-)

I assume John you are talking to me, although my name is not 'stalwart'. I do not ride a scooter all the time just carry one on my M/H to use for small trips from campsites. Tyresafe do have a point but if you ride your bike and have a slowly deflating tyre you may not notice until that tyre overheats and blows, with a sealant this should not happen. So as you say take your chance but a lot of bikers do use it because it is pretty hard to carry a spare on a bike. It will not seal major damage anyway especially in a sidewall so hard to see how it could cause a catastrophic failure.

Archived