VW TransporterT5 Base Vehicles

Guest T5 TDI

Guest T5 TDI
Anyone intersted in discussing the T5 with many other owners should follow this link and then click on the T5 section. Topics range from fuel consumption and problems with vans to extras like diesel heaters. This is a new and lively section to an older site that covers T2, T3 and T4 models too. I'm sorry I'm not allowed to post the link directly, but if you "google" brickyard vw t5 you should find us ;-) This is not motorcaravan specific site, but many of the owners there will be interested in any aspect of a T5 van.

Guest bill h
Where's this T5 site then. All I could find was a lot of non-descript waffle about nothing. I've bought and used 15 VW's, types 2.3.4.&.5. Rounded body. Air cooled. Rear engine. Front engine. Van. Bus. Kombi. Caravelle. 6 cyl petrol. Diesel's. LWB. SWB. Auto. Manual. Cruise control. Best MPG 47 on two seperate long runs. Been all over Europe in them. Slept in them. Had heavy work in them. Takes a 11.6in length of metal. An 8x4 sheet of board. Used them as a bus. They're like a donkey and keep going. Waiting for a new delivery in April 06. Had the simplest van and the most expensive. (not necceserily the best!!) They are a good all-round base vehicle. It all depends what toys you want inside !! What does anyone wish to know? bill h

Guest T5TDI
Well I suppose it depends on what you are looking for Bill. I am quite happy to "waffle" (and learn) with 100 other keen T5 owners. Do you already know all about the steering clonk that VW have yet to fix? Did you know that various configurations of central locking and alarm functions can be changed. Most folks don't even know that if turn and hold the key anticlockwise in the driver's door all the windows will wind up and the alarm will set. I'm glad to hear you already know it all :-)

Guest bill h
Never know it all, just tried them all. Yes the clonk is always there. Never used the key for door locking for many years with having a central locking remote button. Take note all you T5 enthusiasts. At present I have a Caravelle with all the trimmings, its bloody awfull !! The suspension has been hardened on the latest Caravelles, they call it 'sporty' I call it 'useless', it shakes the bodywork at every small shape, even white painted pictures such as school and arrows on the road surface sound like 2 inch high blocks and the bodywork shakes like hell. I've weighted the rear end with lead to the eqivalent of two large people and reduced the tyre pressures and its still awfull. I actually avoid using it where possible. The leather seats are as cold as hell and awfull! They may look nice and thats all. With this particular T5 its the worst they have ever produced !! When you get to 80 one needs something softer not rock hard. It goes back in four weeks time for a more simple arrangement. Tell all your mates not to buy one like this, its awfull. bill h

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Bill, I'm a newbie so treat me gently! I was disappointed to read your thread as I have just started research into the Caravelle camper conversion and have rather set my heart on getting one. I have heard only good things about them so far, but from what you say I may have to reconsider - a Vito maybe? From what people tell me, the suspension on most panel van conversions is quite hard since they are derived form vans that are designed to carry over a tonne payload and that I shouldn't expect car-like suspension? Is there anything that you'd say in favour of the T5? Or would you recommend an alternative? I'm looking to buy new. Maybe the T5 has improved since you got yours? Yours hopefully, Bob

We purchased a T5 in December last year and so far we are very pleased with it. We have the 2.5TDI 130bhp and had it converted by Beckenham Motor Caravans. I use it daily for the school run and general running around, as a camper it fullfills all our requirements. I have looked at the recommended site for T5 owners but found it had little discussion in the way of camper conversions, maybe by added to this thread we could further discuss the pros and cons of the various conversions available on the market. PS the only problem we have had with the T5 so far is the parking sensors need replacing, but the warranty covers it so I am not too bothered.

Archived