Motorway services parking

Cattwg

I had been following the 'caravans parking on aires thread'. So I e-mailed the C&CC asking them for a legal definition of a caravan and a motorhome and for their thoughts on the parking of such 'vans at motorway services.

The reply is posted below.

--------------------------------------------

Thank you for your e mail, which raises some interesting questions.

There are definitions of caravans and motorhomes, but I cannot say that they are the legal definition.

Recently the Club has been talking to the Highways Agency (HA), whose remit covers the Motorway service stations (MSA’s).

Unfortunately, while HA has an overseeing role they have very little powers to control the MSA’s. Requirements that are now in existence were generally not in force when most of the agreements were signed up with the present operators and they cannot be applied retrospectively.

We are continuing to talk to them about improving standards and it is hoped to attend a meeting with HA and the MSA operators in February. I don’t hold out much hope, but we can but try.

The HA are considering setting up a gold star award with an organisation like Visit Britain, although I have made it clear that I believe such a scheme is unlikely to see improvements for a minority group like caravanners. A good cup of coffee and clean toilets could mean 5 star rating and still poor facilities for caravanners.

I will talk to HA and the MSA operators about their definitions when I meet them in February.

In the mean time the best advice I can give is that the one place you never park is the coach bays. MSA operators are very quick to clamp and heavily fine motorhomes or caravans in those bays - it’s the difference between selling 40 cups of coffee and one or two with a motorhome if that with on board facilities.

One way we are hoping to help change the attitudes of MSA operators is by encouraging the use of a website

http://www.motorwayparkingforcaravans.co.uk/

As you will see a new organisation has taken over this site and we are going to be working with this publisher to encourage its use. Caravanners and motorhome users will be able to select better sites and it will also hopefully provide an incentive to MSA operators to improve.

I have attached a picture, part of a series I submitted to HA to demonstrate the problem. This MSA was good in so far as the white lining was unusually clear, but motorhomes and caravans were not mentioned. After ignoring access roads marked: cars only and coaches only, I entered the HGV only parking access. I later found out that I should have used

the car park which has two caravan/ motorhome bays.

Regards

Barry

Barry Norris

Technical Information Officer

From the Technical Editors response it seems that legal definitions and motorway services parking are very much grey areas.

Cattwg :-D

759624315_CCCPic.JPG.1b8848e1429f6d19df86557f08b1fce3.JPG

Archived