MMM Advertising

shindig

Last week I contacted seven Companies advertising to buy motorhomes with such slogans as cash waiting, instant response etc Igave each one full details of my MH and was told we,ll get back within the hour, we will pass it on to our buyer, the boss is off until tomorrow and he will contact you then and other

Iwas offering them a MH in mint condition ,loads of extras and asking a fair price

Eight days later not one has got back to me. I could understand if I was offering a load of scrap but as stated it was a good MH at a fair price

Why do these indivudals advertise if they do not have the manners to return a promised call.

Obviousley Mickey Mouse dealers dealing in pennies

Has anyone had a similar experience

Those type of advertisers are only interested in people desperate for cash so they can buy it for a few quid & sell it for 10-20 times what they paid for it.

A good Motorhome at a fair price is the last thing they want, a fair price to them is probably at 25% of what you think is a fair price.

lennyhb - 2009-12-09 9:16 AMThose type of advertisers are only interested in people desperate for cash so they can buy it for a few quid & sell it for 10-20 times what they paid for it.A good Motorhome at a fair price is the last thing they want, a fair price to them is probably at 25% of what you think is a fair price.

So let me understand your reasoning. Assuming a motorhome's second hand purchase value is £20,000, you say that these companies would only offer 25% of its value, which is £5000.

You then claim that they will sell it at between ten and twenty times what they paid, which is between £50,000 and £100,000.

Have you considered the possibility that the original poster might, like many people, have an inflated value of what his second-hand motorhome is actually worth?

Whatever the truth of that I'd still like to know how you arrive at these figures and what evidence you have that the people advertising to buy motorhomes are actually nearer to thieves than businessmen hoping to make a fair profit margin. It's a serious accusation!

The motorhome in question may well be in good condition and low mileage etc (for its age) but is it a desirable and therefore saleable motorhome?

For example, it might be a 20 year old Hymer on Mercedes base with maybe 60k on the clock but is left hand drive and hasn't had the speedo or headlights changed over to comply with British regs and the seller may feel 18K is a fair price, I know some who might.

All I'm saying is before you disparage these dealers why not give us the full spec and your asking price so we can better judge if it really is a fair price?

D.

Guest JudgeMental

stick it on ebay or preloved etc...The market will soon tell you what it is worth.

We have a fair few exspurts on here who will value it for you, so come on lets have the details......You may even get a buyer on here.

surely common sense should tell you that approaching dealers in the first instance was probably the worse way to sell unless a PX, and even then a private sale will probably be better

I still believe the OP has got a point, as to contact seven busnesses and have no reply from any of them even to say sorry but we are not interested in your vehicle type/ price /terms or whatever is bad manners at the very least and typical of some of the modern day 'business' people. But hey ho should we expect anything different to what are basically low level second hand car sharks.

Bas

The companies are there to make a profit, therefore regardless of what the owner of the vehicle thinks it is worth, it is likely to be quite a bit too high for the dealers to want to buy, so they haven't bothered to ring back. I'm not condoning this 'rude' behaviour by them, but at the end of the day if the seller is asking too much then what's the point in them ringing back when they've probably got other more realistic sellers to deal with.

I'm sure we're all guilty of thinking our motorhomes are worth more than they are in PX, never mind in a straightforward sale to a dealer. IMV a straightforward sale price is likely to be at least 5% below what a PX price would be as the dealers are not even clearing on off their forecourt and realising the profit from that to offset the PX value.

The only way to know for sure is for the OP to give full details of his van and what he was asking for it, then we can make an educated comment on whether or not it was a realistic deal.

shindig - 2009-12-11 2:12 PM I haven,t complained or mentioned anything regarding price My point was not one had the manners to return my call

Yes, but had they wanted your van, because of either price, make, or model, they would have phoned.

Either your van is not considered desirable in itself, or you wanted too much for it under present market conditions.

They won't spend time, and money, on calls about unattractive (to them) propositions.  Don't expect good manners from motor traders, they're (generally) only interested in their next deal, because that is how they pay the rent.  It is, as I said, just life as it is.

Accept it, and move on.

Have you considered a "sale or return" deal with a reputable dealer?  These can work quite well, and you'll probably get a better price than for a straight cash sale, though less than with a trade in or a private sale.  However, you do avoid the cost (advertising), and some of the inconvenience and uncertainty (payment), of a private sale.

Archived