Cam belt change AND water pump?

Bob Elswood

Hello peoples,

I have a Boxer 2.00 Ltr HDI that is coming up to 6 years old.

It has only done a mileage of 6500 mls. I do drive it during the Winter months to keep the shiny bits shiny so to speak.

I have had this vehicle from new so I know the mileage is genuine.

I feel I should now ( in the new year ) have the cam belt renewed as I have gone over by a year the manufactures recommended time scale.

My question is, do you think it is wise to have the water pump replaced at the same time or do you think it's OK to leave it?

What is a reasonable price to pay for this work to be carried out?

I will be having a full service done at the same time.

Thanks for any advice / comments etc.

The water pump should be fine, but get them to check it by spinning and feeling for "rough" bearings.

"How much?"

How long is a ball of string? Is the universe infinate? What is the meaning of life? Is there a God?

These are easy questions, not so "How much?" I would guess not less than £300 and it could be much more, it depends on who is doing it, your local small independent will be cheaper and they might do a better job. But then it's such a gamble.

I took my VW T4 in for a full service at Nationwide Autocentres, agreed cost was £200 (without the cambelt). Then came the phone call "£780" after negotiations this came down to £580. They still didn't change the cab filter, the engine air filter nor the oil filter. Oh! and the oil they used causes my engine to smoke when cold.

So it goes in again on tuesday to have the oil and filter changed by a small local man.

Keep yer fingers crossed!

Geoff

Hi Bob, My garage said my water pump would be OK just change the belt and all the bits pieces, adjusters, tensioners etc. It cost me £150 but my Ford Transit engine is the proper way around, easy to get at everything, if yours is a front wheel drive with the engine in athwart ships, (cross ways) it will cost more. More difficult to get at.

A van that is doing, on average, only 22 miles per week, may need many things replacing because it is spending far too long standing idle.  If the water pump can be replaced without complication, it is probably not worth getting it done.  If replacing it would necessitate removing the cam shaft, or similar additional work, I'd suggest it is worth considering a replacement. 

The pumps rarely really fail, it almost always seems to be the water seals that go, allowing water into the bearings and wrecking them.  Seals do not take well to standing around, tending to become stuck to the shaft they are supposed to be sealing.  Once this has happened, and the shaft is again rotated, bits of seal remain stuck to the shaft, and so on until eventually water starts to get through.

Re cost, take the van to whoever you will use for the work and ask him to give you a price for the job - there should be a standard time for the work established by Peugeot.  Ask him how much the pump would cost to add, and how much to have replaced on its own.  That should tell you where to put your money!

make sure that you get a Firm Price Quote, NOT an estimate which is what is says.

With an estimate, the person is saying that he expects the price to be £XXX, however he/she can change the price.

The only other way is a not to exceed maximum, but expect the price to be raised somewhat and it is unlikely to be less than the maximum

I had mine done a couple of months ago, ( 02 Peugot 1.9 hdi} by a mechanic that did it at a lower than normal hourly rate. He did the water pump at the same time as it was weeping from the seal. For the cost of the pump it is well worth changing at the same time.The cost breakdown of the job is as follows;

Cam Belt kit including tensioners- £55

Water pump- £20

Labour- £80

Total cost- £155

I would also add that you have to take off one of the Engine mountings to change the belt and this increased the time it takes to do the job. I reckon about 6 hours. Hope this helps,

Clive.

coach2000 - 2009-12-12 10:38 PM

I had mine done a couple of months ago, ( 02 Peugot 1.9 hdi} by a mechanic that did it at a lower than normal hourly rate. He did the water pump at the same time as it was weeping from the seal. For the cost of the pump it is well worth changing at the same time.The cost breakdown of the job is as follows;

Cam Belt kit including tensioners- £55

Water pump- £20

Labour- £80

Total cost- £155

I would also add that you have to take off one of the Engine mountings to change the belt and this increased the time it takes to do the job. I reckon about 6 hours. Hope this helps,

Clive.

Blimey that sounds like a good price! I might get him to do mine as well!!

Thank you everyone for your input. I will get a fixed price from my local garage (not a Peugeot Agent) but is familiar with boxer engines.

I will make sure that the quote is for all genuine Peugeot parts as well.

I don't really want to pay the fancy prices that Main Agents charge as I don't feel like subsidising the posh lounge area ,coffee machine, and all the office staff trolling about all over the place trying to look busy !! ;-)

Just an extra point I forgot to mention. I bought the cam belt kit from a Garage parts supplier not the main dealers. It is an original part as if bought from Peugot. The price at the Peugot spares shop - £150

I will name my supplier if it helps; GL Motor spares. Bolton.

As an extra if anyone requires an Mot in my area, I would highly reccomend the Majestic garage, Bolton. I think they can do up to a 7.5 ton vehicle and are Motor caravanners themselves.

Clive.

Just got a fixed price from Peugeot Main Dealers:

Full service to include brake fluid, and coolant change £200.00

Cam belt change with full tensioner kit Plus water pump change £457.39

Total inc of VAT = £657.39

The coolant and brake fluid are normally extra but as I want the water pump changed they have to change coolant anyway so they say!!

I will now get a fixed price from my local garage for the same work to be carried out and see how the prices compare. Obviously I would expect my local garage to be cheaper, but by how much is the question!

Think I may have to remortgage the Wife !!

Archived