mice

sll

Help!, have during the last year encountered the problem of mice getting in the engine compartment, only, not in living area. Tried mice killers/traps but have just had to fork out for a rewire for the 3rd time! Had no problems for 4 years, just this 1, anyone any ideas on how to stop the pesky things? Thanks

Hi,

Use a proprietory rodent repellant which you can get in a spray and spray around engine bay. Alternatively bounce fabric sheets are supposed to work, or oil of gloves or peppermint. You have a better chance of repelling the mice than killing with bait. You could off course do both but not always safe to use bait if there are owls or cats around who might catch a poisoned mouse.

Hope this helps.

Jon.

thebishbus - 2009-12-13 4:14 PM

Try sprinkling pepper around the engine compartment,someone told me that works.

Brian.

Put some salt and vinegar around it as well !! ;-)

Where do you park your motorhome? Is it on your drive or at a rural site?

All joking aside, a cat around the house should do wonders to keep your 'van' mice free if it is parked on the drive!!

Anywhere that gives a warm, quite, and sheltered environment will attract rodents.

Yes the electric rodent repeller works very well but you need mains power. Makes a super-sonic noise that they don't like so they go away. Cats, dogs, and humans don't hear it. Three for £10 in Range last lot I bought. Most garden centres & DIY stock them. I have one in each 'van, one in the garage, and a big one up in the attic.

Hi we had them last year chewed through return petrol pipe and lots of other pipes and wires £280 to repair. we tried rodent repellants, traps pepper even chilli flakes and curry powder,nothing worked until I made little bags and put in moth balls hung them all round the engine ponged abit .also draped tumble drier sheets over the engine and sprinkled carpet freshener allround, we were desperate even thought of digging a moat all the way round,fortuneatly they went . we also wrapped tthat cable tidy stuff round the repaired wires. theyve not been back this year .....fingers crossed they wont . hope this is of some help J.Harrison

Ranger - 2009-12-14 11:43 PM

Yes the electric rodent repeller works very well but you need mains power. Makes a super-sonic noise that they don't like so they go away. Cats, dogs, and humans don't hear it. Three for £10 in Range last lot I bought. Most garden centres & DIY stock them. I have one in each 'van, one in the garage, and a big one up in the attic.

You can buy rodent repeller's that work off of a 9v Battery (Argos), but the battery only last 4-5months, it did keep the little perishers away though, I have put in two mains powered ones this Winter. Ray

Are you sure that they are mice and not squirrels, when I was plumbing had a lot of trouble with the perishers eating plastic pipes in roofs the electric cables gave them a suprise though. The same elecronic thingy should work anyway so good luck. ;-)

Archived