Motorhomes tyres

lizken

The one I have seen that is claimed to give a more supple ride than either Michelin or Continental, is the Pirelli Citynet Camper.  As no one seems to fit it as original equipment, I assume the supply is less good than the Michelin or Continental offerings, and I believe it is more expensive.  Size range may also influence this apparent lack of OE fitment.  However, since Pirelli have gone to the expense of developing it, maybe it is fitted more extensively to vans aimed at the Italian home market: I know not.

Tyre pressures appropriate to the actual laden axle loads (rather than the pressures quoted in the handbook/s) will probably do more for ride quality, and handling, than changing tyres.

Alternatively, if your van is not on a 3,500Kg + chassis, there is no great need to stick to the "camping" designated tyres, providing the tyres you choose are up to the load and speed ratings required.  Continental Vanco, Michelin Agilis, and quite a few others, are all available as light commercial vehicle tyres (i.e. without the "camping" designation), some of which are also available with "winter" treads that may offer some further advantages.

No one seems to have mentioned yet the replacementt for the michelin XC camping, whch is the Michelin Agilis camping. It is a far superior tyre to the XC and I believe is still the only camping tyre with and M+S) mud and snow) rating.

I have them as replacements for the XC tyres and have so far been delighted with them in both summer and winter and are a lot quieter and have lower rolling resistance. The rubber compound is suitale for winter use and the grip in snow and frost is much better than prevous XC tyres.

Jon.

Thanks for all ypur comments.

I am replacing tyres on my Valentine, which are dated 2003, for safety reasons, although there is no sign of cracking, rather than for better ride quality.

I was considering Vanco or Hankook RO8 - any further comments would be be welcome, but might just confuse me more.

Ken

Re my previous post ,when using Michelin tyres my pressures were 65lbs front and rear. However with the Continental tyres pressures were reduced to 62lb front and 54 lb rear. These presures were confirmed to me by Michelin and Continental after going to a weigh bridge to get axle weights

Originally pressure from converter were 80lb all round

lizken - 2009-12-13 4:58 PM

can anyone suggest posible replacements for Michelin XC Camping 270/70R15C tyres.

I would prefer some that are quieter than the Michelin, but without a reduction in quality.

I'm certain the tyre size you've quoted is wrong - I think it should be 215/70 R15C.

It really boils down to whether you want to fit 'camping car' tyres or less expensive 'ordinary' van tyres like the Hankook variety.

It may also be worth highlighting that any set of replacement tyres is likely to be quieter initially than the tyres that have been replaced until the 'shine' wears off the new tyres' tread after a couple of hundred miles of use.

I've got Hankook's on the MH and have been very pleased with them.......no probs at all; still CE tested/marked and a helluva lot cheaper than the "Big" (read: expensive) brands.

When the car tyres are next due I will probably get Kankooks fitted to that vehicle too.

What is the difference (or supposed difference) between camping tyres and "white van" tyres ?

I could understand it it were just a tread / grip differnce for going into grass in a camp site. But in the order of things How much of a problems is that ?

Weight carrying capacity should not be a problem (Weight and safety is a major consideration in both cases) Durability may not be aproblem for a M/home bearing in mind that the equivqlent weight commercial vehicle probably does as meny miles in a year, as a M/home does in ten. Then the m/home tyres should be changed in any case.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2009-12-15 7:02 PM

What is the difference (or supposed difference) between camping tyres and "white van" tyres ?

Camping tyres are reinforced with extra safety margins to allow for driving over rough ground , over stones and kerbs etc. They also have a larger margin to allow for over loading and higher pressures.

The rubber compound is adapted for longer life due to generally lower mileage and sitting around so expected life of around 6 years or more rather than just a few years. Also they will have a coating on inside to reduce air permeability of the rubber as often do tyres supplied to car makers but not on the same model aftermarket tyres so aftermarket tyre costs are reduced to make competative. So a camping tyre should lose less air over time than a standard van tyre. You pays ye money and makes yer choice....you get what you pay for as the aftermarket tyre business is hugely competative and reperesents tremendous value for money if you can get at discount from many suppliers. Cheap tyres will not give the same wear performance so can represent poor value for money if you do not replace for age but wear.

So some quite significant differences there.

If you have a panel conversion then lower spec tyres may be fine, but as you go up into coach builds and the larger units then the more you really should be considering better tyres able to cope better with the added loads and weights.

We have fitted PIrelli Vanco tyres from (Tyre Shopper) National tyres, in place of Michelin XC camping these were a very rough ride, we reduced pressures to Michelin advice because of a hard ride and rocking motion.

Pirelli are much better and quieter with no rocking motion and good road holding ( front 64psi rear 68psi ) for £90 including balancing they are a good buy up to now we have had them one one year.

Since that test the latest Michelin Agilis camping tyres have appeared.

One vital point....the sidewalls of camping tyres are reinforced specifically to allow for long periods (weeks/months) of 'standing still' with near maximum weights.

I would never consider cheaper options!

All of the so called advantages of the 'special camping tyres' have been gleaned from the tyre manufacturers sales blurb and I have never seen any proof that any of this is true at all. I also have my doubts that tyres become hazardous with age. Many of the tyres in question are 6 ply and you can normally obtain a van tyre in 8 or 10 ply if you want additional strength with a correspondingly higher load rating. It is this that makes a tyre strong, and a stronger tyre can run with slightly lower tyre pressures for greater comfort and grip if desired.

It's as if the manufacturers think white van drivers don't hit the kerb or drive over stones like camper drivers do! If you kerb your vehcle heavily you will tear the outer casing and compromise the tyre whichever type you have fitted because the tougher the sidewall is the less 'give' it will have during the impact.

Buy a good brand like Conti, Michelin, Pirelli or Hankook and don't worry about the sales gimmicks. Spend less and change them more often if that suits you before UV rays destroy them or air seeps out of them or any other of the perils that you apparently cannot see turn your money to dust.

Until I see conclusive proof that there is actually any difference between camping tyres and standard commercial items (that is not provided by the makers) I suggest you ignore it unless you are loaded in which case I am surprised you care about the best deals anyway.

Nick

euroserv - 2009-12-16 12:26 PM

All of the so called advantages of the 'special camping tyres' have been gleaned from the tyre manufacturers sales blurb and I have never seen any proof that any of this is true at all. I also have my doubts that tyres become hazardous with age. Many of the tyres in question are 6 ply and you can normally obtain a van tyre in 8 or 10 ply if you want additional strength with a correspondingly higher load rating. It is this that makes a tyre strong, and a stronger tyre can run with slightly lower tyre pressures for greater comfort and grip if desired.

It's as if the manufacturers think white van drivers don't hit the kerb or drive over stones like camper drivers do! If you kerb your vehcle heavily you will tear the outer casing and compromise the tyre whichever type you have fitted because the tougher the sidewall is the less 'give' it will have during the impact.

Buy a good brand like Conti, Michelin, Pirelli or Hankook and don't worry about the sales gimmicks. Spend less and change them more often if that suits you before UV rays destroy them or air seeps out of them or any other of the perils that you apparently cannot see turn your money to dust.

Until I see conclusive proof that there is actually any difference between camping tyres and standard commercial items (that is not provided by the makers) I suggest you ignore it unless you are loaded in which case I am surprised you care about the best deals anyway.

Nick

How refreshing! a man after my own heart.

Nick, your dead right.

The campervan tyres that are now put on new motorhome chassis are run at higher pressures because the walls are much thicker and the heat generated doesn't disperse as quick as standard commercial tyres. All my previous motorhomes were fitted with Continental Vanco and ran at much lower pressures and I never experienced any problems. The heat generated passes through the tringle and onto the rim to keep it cool. If there are any ex Michelin tyre makers reading this thread they will know what I mean. One motor home that I owned that wasn't fitted with Vanco's had to have a new set of tyres after 14000 miles because the sidewalls cracked, they were Campervan thick wall. I have had to accept the tyres on my latest motorhome because they were supplied new, I think they are rubbish.

There is no real need to run 'camping car' tyres at ultra-high pressures, though they are designed to allow this should it be deemed appropriate.

I can't think of any reasonably sized motorhome based on a recent Eurozone-produced chassis that would have 6-ply-rated tyres. The norm is an 8-ply-rating. As far as camping-car tyres are concerned, they are all 8-ply-rated except for one size of VancoCamper which is 10-ply-rated.

While it won't present any particular problem in the UK, where there's little regulation affecting DIY modification of vehicles, playing around with tyres may cause trouble abroad. For instance, the French are big on vehicle 'homologation' and their equivalent to our MOT checks that the tyres fitted to a vehicle match the tyres originally specified in terms of size and type. If you alter the tyre size, then your vehicle will fail the test. I've always assumed this was why Michelin camping-car tyres were 8-ply-rated despite offering 10-ply-rating load-carrying capability.

Iwas interested to see Mickt that he got Continental to confirm the correct tyre pressures for him. How did you manage it Mick!

Twice I have phoned Continenal Tyres head office in Middlesex with the tyre size and axle weights and got nowhere. The first time they took reference from some tyre fitting firm who thought that 53 psi all round was OK. I phoned again this morning and was told that the correct pressure should be according to the driver's handbook irrespective of the make of the tyre! I thanked him for that information and asked to speak with the the technical dept. He seemed most put out and insisted that what he told me was correct. I put the phone down in exasperation.

So Mick, if you can tell me where to get your information I shall be most grateful.

John

*-)

Archived