Replacement roof strip - Rapido

bob b

Whilst washing the motorhome a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the strip between the overcab and main body looked a bit 'second hand'.  I've got a damp meter (protimeter Aquant), so investigated further inside. The meter showed 'borderline' dampness in the locality under the seal.

I toyed with the idea of replacing the seal myself, but decided to take it to a local caravan dealer/workshop instead. The workshop guy told me that the seal had indeed been leaking and that he found two voids in the original sealant where water ingress had been taking place.

I collected the Rapido today and I paid the bill of £87.00. I thought that was very good value for money.

Hi Bob

We too used to have a Rapido 709F, 2003 model - we had it from new and sold it just under 4 years later (it was soooooooooo cute! :D ). I too noticed shortly before we decided to change the van that the centre joining strip was looking 'iffy', a couple of 'cuts' had appeared in the sealing material and it was my intention, had we kept the van, to completely remove and replace the material. As we changed the van I didnt' need to fortunately as I suspect it would have been a pig of a job to do.

I assume the chap has completely removed the old strip and replaced it with a new one and not just patched it? :-S

Hi Mel,

Yes, the strip was completely removed and replaced with new material. I was a bit miffed when told that when the original sealant was applied a couple of voids were formed. That does suggest a degree of sloppiness from Rapido. The guy that replaced the sealant made a neat job of it though, which is encouraging regarding a 'proper job' !

I keep thinking of selling the Rapido, then have a trip away and change my mind ! 

I always get their name incorrect. I stick my head in over Christmas and wish them well, they always seem to come up trumps even on the most obscure bits and pieces.

Thanks for the offer, but i'll get them to shin up the ladder and take a visual look from above at the same time.

Rgds

Archived