Caravan Club Website

Fred Duck

Well I cant find anything either :-S I wish people would be sure of their facts before they started fuming about O.A.Ps taking up weekends! we have been members for over 17 years and havent had any luck booking weekends Rowntree Park or any other popular destination in the last two years!! in fact we have had the grand total of 5 nts at a club site last year and 7n the year before!!

maggyd - 2010-01-06 3:39 PM

Well I cant find anything either :-S I wish people would be sure of their facts before they started fuming about O.A.Ps taking up weekends! we have been members for over 17 years and havent had any luck booking weekends Rowntree Park or any other popular destination in the last two years!! in fact we have had the grand total of 5 nts at a club site last year and 7n the year before!!

Hi Maggy

I'm not sure if you're wishing I had my facts right before "fuming" about OAPs taking up weekends but I didn't post the message stating the Caravan Club had a Priviledge members' scheme!

I did say "I've not heard about "Privileged Members" either! If this is true I think it's outrageous!"

I also said "I've done a search on the Caravan Club website and can't find any information on this."

As for OAPs "stealing" weekend pitches (assuming the Priviledge scheme was correct) I can only go by my experience of staying on CC sites off season and arriving on a Saturday afternoon with the sites almost full of OAPs and watching a mass exodus on Sunday morning.

I stay on several CC sites off season about 24 nights every year so I am sure of what I see!

Please don't accuse me of getting my facts wrong when I didn't post the message about the "Privileged Members" in the first place!

Regards

John

We managed 38 nights on Caravan Club sites last year, including some full or partial weekends.

All were pre booked via the web site and we got all of the dates that we wanted.

Maybe it is just a question of luck, which sites you pick, time of year etc.

None were in August-batten down the hatches month.

What we object to is seeing "Site Full" notices being out out when there are many, unoccupied, caravans on seasonal pitches.

Camperdude - 2010-01-06 4:21 PM

maggyd - 2010-01-06 3:39 PM

Hi Maggy

I'm not sure if you're wishing I had my facts right before "fuming" about OAPs taking up weekends but I didn't post the message stating the Caravan Club had a Priviledge members' scheme!

I did say "I've not heard about "Privileged Members" either! If this is true I think it's outrageous!"

I also said "I've done a search on the Caravan Club website and can't find any information on this."

As for OAPs "stealing" weekend pitches (assuming the Priviledge scheme was correct) I can only go by my experience of staying on CC sites off season and arriving on a Saturday afternoon with the sites almost full of OAPs and watching a mass exodus on Sunday morning.

I stay on several CC sites off season about 24 nights every year so I am sure of what I see!

Please don't accuse me of getting my facts wrong when I didn't post the message about the "Privileged Members" in the first place!

Regards

John

No John :-S I was having a bat at Colin for talking about privilaged members!! when they is no such thing!!

And you for saying O.A.Ps take up weekends!! we would like to have a few days which INCLUDE a weekend but cant because of people that book all weekends ! whether that is you or not I make no apology for that as I get very annoyed at the No shows!!

In fact it makes no difference how old we are! we have been in your position before we retired, only being able to do weekends, and the two weeks holidays , I doubt the club could survive it there was only weekenders they do depend on people that can go during the week! but as I said we pay £37 a year and arent getting the benefit! we might as well just save our money and book as non members because of all this pre-booking.

O.K. I'll own up I should have made it clear that you also have to be a member of he grand order of "Wind up Merchants" to qulaify as a PM but I thought what I had written and the maner I had written it would give the game away. So sorry if I upset anyone and whilst I'm about it sorry to the Wardens of one site we were on who told me they were visiting the clubs Seacroft site at Cromer. I'm afraid I managed to convince them that the club served full cooked breakfasts in he club house if you ordered them when you booked in!

However in defence of the club site we spend between 100 and 120 nights every season on club sites in blocks of three to four weeks at a time using our Motorhome in touring mode staying only three days on any one site. I book all the pitches up to the end of September on the afternoon of the first day of booking or if the the site is still too busy on the second day of booking. I book our October stays as soon as I know the date of the NEC show. I must admit we have not been to York for some time because we are not keen on town sites but we do go to many other sites that are equally popular. In all that time we have never failed to get on a site. Being responsible pensioners, although we do go on holidays in August, we never take the Motorhome to leave the pitches free for those with children.

It is worth knowing that whilst any talk of the club saving sites for PMs is tosh the club do infact not put all the pitches on the net holding back some grass pitches that may be unusable due to the weather. On some sites these are held back and not released untill the wardens tell head office they are usable so it is worth checking availability later in the year when the weather has improved. It is also worth checking with the individual wardens on the phone for such pitches that are about to be released or cancelations.

The club network was incredably busy in 2009. We did a five week tour of Scotland late April early May (before the midges arrive) and every site we stayed on was fully booked both during the week and the weekends!

May be the club will spend some of the extra income to fix some of the pitches that have to be taken out due to bad weather to increase pitch availability.

I must also add that the site was very much faster to use this year. Once you had got into the booking part you could stay there rather than having to go to the back of the que after each booking. Also it remembered our outfit details between bookings so that I did not have to keep entering them for each booking.

So there you are I'm sorry. If any of you bump into us on site please take any unlikely tale I may attempt spin you with a healthy pinch of salt! You can reconise us easily we have a Rapido Motorhome with "What Inheritance ?" worked into the Rapido logo.

Archived