Safe overnight stop between Biarritz and Valencia?

LinofDe

There are several good camping sites on the coast a little south of Barcelona....ACSI card sites (you'll need to get the 2010 ACSI book of sites and discount card that comes with it if you want to get the ACSI cheap overnight rate).

All of them are pretty close to the A7 motorway.

There is also a dedicated Motorhome parking (and I believe overnight stopover) site in the southern part of Barcelona city itself now, run by the city council.

It's in the docklands area right near the seafront.

I've seen it as I've ridden past it (on the motorbike when up there last summer) and as I recall I think it's a large tarmaced area, with basic services, and fenced in, with security overnight).

I've not used it personally though as yet.....maybe google for it or contact Barcelona tourist info.

But if you haven't been into Barcelona before, it's BIG place and the road system can be complicated for newcomers. It's also a fair bit away from the main A7 North/South motorway, so this site might not be much use if you just want a quickie stopover before continuing your journey.

Hi LinofDe,

There is a truck stop on the A121 at Fuendejalon village, with toilets, fuel. safe but scruffy.

I used to stop there all the time before the the new road opened. now I do it non stop from capbreton in one long (470 miles) but easy trip, good road all the way.

Hope this helps.

Regards PKC.

Hi, theres also an Aire in Magallon which I have never used but I always keep in mind. GPS ref 41 834078/ -1 454046 or at Zaragoza A68 km 6.5 theres another GPS 41 603890/0 941905 which I have never used. I usually go from Biarritz to Cullera in one day.

Safe travels.

Colin

Whilst its easily driveable in a day, there are two places to stop which are safe for travelling either North or South, which I last used about 3 years ago:-

1) Albarracin, park in the centre of the town on the car park, no facilities.

2) Camp site at Manzanera, a bit run down in the winter but full facilities and cheapest fuel around directly outside the site, where you usually pay for your nights stop. Bar on the site and a short walk (say 10 min) uphill into the town. This site is in my CC Europe site book for Spain.

Neither of these are halfway, but they do make an interesting break and leave a shortish drive to the coast when going South.

w1ntersun - 2009-12-17 9:41 AM

Hi, You can do it in one day roads are fast and good now new one has opened up between Zarragosa and Valencia. But if you want to stop there is a site open at Zarragosa

I have just looked at Google maps and it said the distance from Biaritz to Valencia is 620 kilometers. Do you really drive that far in a day ?? what fun. I now understand how people can get robbed after driving that far . they must be completely knackered and sleep the sleep of the dead. 8-) 8-) 8-)

BGD - 2009-12-16 10:35 PM

There are several good camping sites on the coast a little south of Barcelona....ACSI card sites (you'll need to get the 2010 ACSI book of sites and discount card that comes with it if you want to get the ACSI cheap overnight rate).

All of them are pretty close to the A7 motorway.

There is also a dedicated Motorhome parking (and I believe overnight stopover) site in the southern part of Barcelona city itself now, run by the city council.

It's in the docklands area right near the seafront.

I've seen it as I've ridden past it (on the motorbike when up there last summer) and as I recall I think it's a large tarmaced area, with basic services, and fenced in, with security overnight).

I've not used it personally though as yet.....maybe google for it or contact Barcelona tourist info.

But if you haven't been into Barcelona before, it's BIG place and the road system can be complicated for newcomers. It's also a fair bit away from the main A7 North/South motorway, so this site might not be much use if you just want a quickie stopover before continuing your journey.

Are you sure where Biaritz and Valencia are ? Barcellona is way off route I would have thought!

*-) *-) *-) *-) *-) *-) *-) *-)

We did an overnight stop this year at TERUEL , in the centre of town there is a large sports stadium with large car parks and a supermarket nearby, we over nighted here and we were in with about 10 other vans, it was very safe and police were in evidence,we were homeward bound from Spain,and it was a good place to get stocked up with the last Spanish goodies and fuel before going through the Somport tunnel. :-o :-o

vindiboy - 2009-12-20 1:30 PM

w1ntersun - 2009-12-17 9:41 AM

Hi, You can do it in one day roads are fast and good now new one has opened up between Zarragosa and Valencia. But if you want to stop there is a site open at Zarragosa

I have just looked at Google maps and it said the distance from Biaritz to Valencia is 620 kilometers. Do you really drive that far in a day ?? what fun. I now understand how people can get robbed after driving that far . they must be completely knackered and sleep the sleep of the dead. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Its a long but an easy drive. For me my living in Spain starts when we hit the med coast, the drive down is just part of the trip that you need to get out of the way asap. I'd feel a bit of a wuss if put off by a days drive, and I love seeing those miles ticked off.

600k is not a lot on good roads, with a fast van and maybe some shared driving, with the ipod blaring out, its great. The dog sleeps all the way so he's on guard when we stop.

We were recently with someone who had done Cherbourg to St Jean de Luz in a day and the next day went to somewhere on the Costa Blanca.

Keep on trucking! I love it.

Guest Tracker

One man's meat is another man's poison!

So it is with driving - for some of us 400 miles of easy driving on motorways and dual carriageways is an easy day's travel and we stop still feeling relaxed and not over tired.

The trick is to stop before you feel you need to and whilst it is still light enough to find a good place to spend the night. That gives you time to unwind, have a walk, have a meal and relax before nighty nighty time.

For others that sort of distance is much too far to drive in one day and we must all equally respect each other's style, wishes and capabilities.

We too can easily do the trip in a comfortable day but sometimes it is nice to stop off part way and just have a look see rather than belt down to the coast and I fully understand those who prefer not to do it in one bash.

Tracker - 2009-12-21 12:23 PM

One man's meat is another man's poison!

So it is with driving - for some of us 400 miles of easy driving on motorways and dual carriageways is an easy day's travel and we stop still feeling relaxed and not over tired.

The trick is to stop before you feel you need to and whilst it is still light enough to find a good place to spend the night. That gives you time to unwind, have a walk, have a meal and relax before nighty nighty time.

For others that sort of distance is much too far to drive in one day and we must all equally respect each other's style, wishes and capabilities.

We too can easily do the trip in a comfortable day but sometimes it is nice to stop off part way and just have a look see rather than belt down to the coast and I fully understand those who prefer not to do it in one bash.

Your right of course, for us ,as soon as we arrive at Calais we are there and most days drive only 20-- 50 miles and love to wander about, and as we don't book ANYTHING it matters not where we are, early this year JANUARY we took 3 weeks to get to Spain ,Motril and despite the snow and ice we loved it.Having said all that I would NEVER do the sort of mileage others do in a day. 300 miles would be our max. :-o :-o :-o

Archived