Lunar Motorhomes

Rayjsj

Where are they ?? not in this months MMM new buyers guide. Did I miss an announcement somewhere ? the website says 'Under construction'.

The caravan section appears to still be going, I know there was a management buyout back in 2007, but have seen Motorhomes for sale since then. Most of the Motohomes in the buyers guide are foreign now.

And with Explorer group dropping several names, are we seeing a 'Re-run'

of our motorcycle and car industries ? I hope not, hardly any customer choice anymore (I am not a fan of foreign made motorhomes OR Sevel Chassis's) as I said, not much choice, I liked the Lunar Telstar and X-Star,

Damn ! >:-( >:-( Ray

correction; motorhomes have dissapeared completely from the Lunar Website now. Whats going on ??

You enquired about Lunar in October:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17566&posts=12

Out of curiosity, I subsequently asked a Lunar agent what was happening. He told me that the company had stopped motorhome manufacture when the recession began to bite but had not removed the production facilities. As far as he was aware, Lunar intended to resume building motorhomes when the market for them improved, adding that this might be some way in the future as the currently buoyant caravan market meant that Lunar could sell all the caravans they could make. He also said that new Lunar Champs could still be ordered (under the "Home Car" brand name), but I wasn't confident this was correct.

I don't know if the situation has changed during the last couple of months, but Lunar might be prepared to give you an update if you contact them.

We had the double whammy of Lunar & dealer Brownhills going bust. Thankfully we have had no bother with this excellent Renault H592 as no-one is interested in any warranties.The engine and auto box are brilliant and the build quality is good. Of course most of the internals are common anyway like the frigde, cooker, heating, toilet etc. We would buy again if we had the choice. We have completed 20000 trouble free miles in France, Spain and Portugal and judging by the stories we read we dont think we could have purchased a better vehicle. :-D

Phoned Lunar, they say that no, they are not at present manufacturing Motorhomes, They will be at the February NEC show but only with Caravans (the same as at the October NEC show).

Any New Lunar Motorhomes at dealers are 'old stock' they got a bit 'edgy' when i asked about warranties.Also most Lunar motorhome dealers are now 'Ex Lunar motorhome dealers'. So, no 'New' Telstars or X-Stars. Our chosen 'new Van'.

Back to the Drawing board then,Wanted, A traditional coachbuilt British made Motorhome 6 metres or under,without a garage or a raised bed (mobility problems), with a Full oven and reasonable work surfaces,and a traditional 'lay down' lounge area. On any chassis Apart from a Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat. Any suggestions ?

Ray

Ray

I think these are the only UK companies marketing new coachbuilt motorhomes on non-SEVEL chassis. I don't know if any of the models offered would match your requirements.

IH Motor Campers - Mercedes, VW

Marquis/Auto-Sleepers - Mercedes, VW, (Ford?)

Nu Venture Motorhomes - Ford

(Presumably the private purchase you mentioned in October never went ahead?)

We bought a Hampshire from the Marquis Mercedes County range because we wanted a rear lounge, two single beds and a decent sized kitchen with plenty of work space. Apart from a couple of niggling problems, hopefully now solved, we are very pleased with our choice. Both of us being retired we were looking for comfortable seating, a decent bed layout and the Hampshire has delivered that in spades. It is however over 7 mtrs long but very manoeuvrable.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-12-20 8:26 AM

(presumably the private purchase you mentioned in October never went ahead?)

Derek,

No, unfortunately, but I'm still looking, Just a shame that most of the suitable ones are now 'Used Only'. perhaps a 'sign of the times'

did you say that Nu-Venture do a coachbuilt conversion on a Ford ?

Regards Ray

The 'Moniche' 'scaled up' a bit with a seperate shower cubicle and a full oven plus an extra bit of worktop would be 'Just the job', putting the entrance door at the rear saves so much valuable space doesn't it ?

I liked the Autocruise 'small' van's for just this feature, pity they are only on 'Sevel's' and i think they have dropped them now ?

Thanks for the info. Ray

Archived