Fridge not igniting

Curly

Rapido 997M, decided to check all is well before the off.

Put fridge onto gas no spark, (the usual click click click) plenty of gas , checked with cooker, fuse ok, batteries tip top. Removed grill connections all ok at ignitor area no visible broken connectios etc. and flue clean as a whistle.

It is a Domitec AES fridge freezer, so tried with controls on gas only no joy, switched to auto still no joy and yes waited for the usual 15 min. delay time.

This is from cold start so does the fridge have to be up to or down to temperature before thermocouple comes into play or is thermocouple capoot. Last resort fridge now on electric till morning and then will switch over to gas to see if it kicks in.

Anyone that has the answer has a Christmas card.

>:-( >:-(

Hi, I'm probably on the wrong track but it may help you. After having stood unused for about 8 weeks, I find that when igniting the fridge in my van it does ignite but still continues to click click etc. This happened last January when we set off for Spain and I thought it was not igniting but when I checked there was heat coming from the air vent so at first I disconnected the 12 volt Piezo supply. The next time we stopped I just switched the power off and about an hour later with the power back on we heard no clicking. After a couple of days the ignition returned to normal. I've had the same this last week when I tried again, (We set off in 10 days time). .I hope this reads sensibly and helps you.

Colin

We always run our AES fridge down to it's operating temp on mains the day before we want to use it. Before trying to light the gas I make sure the nearest gas appliance, in our case the grill, is pulling gas through the system. It seems to me that as the fridge uses so little gas it takes for ever to get it through from the bottle when the van has been standing for a long period. This may or may not help but so far it has worked for us. Also I hope you are using propane otherwise in this cold weather butane will just be exacerbating any other problems you may be experiencing.

I may be barking up the wrong tree but have had this experience when trying the fridge in a cold van.

I eventually decided that the temperature in the van was so low that the fridge stat was not cutting in, once the van warmed up the fridge started to work normally.

HTH

Stuart

I may be barking up the wrong tree but have had this experience when trying the fridge in a cold van.

I eventually decided that the temperature in the van was so low that the fridge stat was not cutting in, once the van warmed up the fridge started to work normally.

HTH

Stuart

HTH

Stuart

I have no idea why but we have seen three different fridges with this fault in the last two weeks, all of them were actually lighting but the igniter control module wasn't recognising the flame and so continued to fire the spark. Two of them were electrolux/Dometic and the latest is a Thetford auto energy selection jobbie.

D.

What a dumbo I am yes you are right Stuart, late last night I sat in the van and pondered and the penny dropped the temp. inside the van was low it was at the temp. we had in Greece and the ignitor not cutting in but when turned to max. temp. it kicked in and very slowly when the temp increased in the van so did the temp. dial have to be reduced and it was igniting at a lower temp.

Who's today's dumbo I will hold my hands up and wear the "T" shirt.

:-> :->

Hi

Slightly off thread, but still to do with ignition problems on a Dometic with AES, I was in the habit of switching the fridge from Auto to gas when arriving on an Aire or a long daytime stop and the fridge would not ignite. I eventually discovered that if I moved the selector to 'off' first, then to 'gas' it ignited.

Peter

Hi Peter that's right it tells you that in the hand book if it fails to ignite first time switch it off and back on again to gas and hey presto it works every time. My old grandpappie always said "you live a little and you learn a little"

:-> :->

Curly

Archived