Motorhome parking

NormanNexxo

I am sure that this subject has been discussed before but as someone relatively new to Motorhomes I am still a little wary of parking in public "pay & display" car parks. Is it generally accepted that if it is not possible to fit within the lines that you can buy 2 tickets and occupy two bays ?

What size are you? We are only 6.2m and have had no problems so far. But then we can usually squeeze in lengthwise by finding an outside bay where the rear can overhang the kerb. Sometimes motorhomes are specifically excluded but my view is if it doesn`t say assume you can. If you have to buy two tickets to be sure then what can they do to you?

Porky - 2009-12-18 6:26 PM

(snip)Sometimes motorhomes are specifically excluded but my view is if it doesn`t say assume you can. If you have to buy two tickets to be sure then what can they do to you?

I wouldn't advise the same. The sign in the car park may not say anything but it is the TRO which governs parking which is the important document. Many councils do not allow the purchase of multiple tickets when taking up multiple bays. Please see my web site.

Graham

Welcome to the world of motorhoming.

It is important to read CAREFULLY any signs in car parks and any that are by dedicated on-street parking.

MMM and other publications have featured letters where folks have parked without reading the sign carefully, including small print, and have returned to learn that they have received a 'fine'.

It is a good suggestion to ask a warden/attendant if one is present and clarificationi s needed.

Signs sometimes have phone numbers in case of problems. In February in Ripon we parked in a car park within lines and overhanging grass. At the pay machine I read the sign which stated that vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and a certain height were prohibited. ( The weight wasn't an issue but the height was.) I phoned and got through directly to the superintendant of parking for the borough. He asked me to read to him exactly what was on the sign! He then told me it was really to prevent heavy vehicles and we were OK. He said he would telephone the attendant who was based in another part of the car park, confirm we were OK and give him my registration number.

Whilst thanking him for his assistance I suggested the sign should be amended and pointed out some of the problems motorhomers have in parking.

Does anybody know if the sign has been amended? The car park is the main one signposted clearly on entering the town as being for the Cathedral and other tourist attractions. We parked in the lower section near the entrance close to the police/prison museum. The sign was near that entrance.

One of the car parks in central Chelmsford has very different prices for "cars" and "vans," without any definition of either. I spoke to the man in duty (yes, there was one), and explained that my SWB Transit is legally a "motor car," and is treated as a "car" on both the local flyover (known as the "Army and Navy") and the Dartford crossing (as well as the tax disc saying "PLG" like all the cars), and that it would fit into the standard bay. I knew there were major holes in my argument, but he accepted it, and advised me to leave a note in the windscreen in case his shift changed before I left.

Thanks Tony.

Those two car parks aren't in the list on the left side of the page http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=10233 or in the tariff list at http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/media/pdf/m/o/Parking_Fees_And_Charges.pdf so it looks like they are private.

The only council car park with no height restriction (which otherwise rules out motorhomes) is Riverside - Victoria Road (24 on the map).

Graham

Moulsham St (no 25 on map) doesn't have a barrier either, but it rarely has spaces, and when it does you have to be careful to use the section you need - it's split between long and short stay, at different rates. And the spaces are tight, so nothing bigger than a van conv could fit anyway.

Archived