Climate change

nightrider

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyke,

The way prices are going up and up, gas, water and electricity I think people are going to start looking at self suffiency with a keener eye, after all how much can the ordinary Joe afford to pay?

In a previous post you mentioned that you and your neighbours get it together exchanging homegrown produce, tell us more about that? I think your post was on the "cashfree society" thread.

Off thread KOTR but You asked...

Nothing huge, just something that happened. We had excessive no. of beans so we passed them onto next door neighbours. One of them has excessive eggs now and then ( It's a hobby for her, keeping hens that is.) and passes some over. The other side has apple trees, we get some of the apples. (She also gets apple and cinnamon pies.) All part of a friendly waste not, want not and good old village life.

Err, just in case Mr Taxman and or any of our EU Masters is/are reading this I am only Joking - honest. I wouldn't ever dream of not supporting you and our wonderful politicians by receiving goods in lieu of anything and us producing food without the requisite food hygiene course certificates etc. :-D

In case you missed it there was an article in the e-Telegraph yesterday reporting that the current cold snap may mean global warming is "on hold" and that it may herald 20 to 30 years of "global cooling" as a result of cyclical alterations in ocean currents. Apparently we may have to get used to winters as cold, or colder than what we have now. Their source also said (perhaps after being knee-capped by those scientists still waiting for the global warming scaremongered research money to clear into their bank accounts?) that his new theory is not inconsistent with global warming.....................

In 2006, when we ordered our M/H (delivered 2007) I distinctly remember some professorial numpties telling me to rip up my lawn and plant "drought-tolerant plants" ready for the Mediterranean desert-like climate that would soon arrive in Southern England. It was raining hard when I did the PDI at the dealer, the entire village flooded around the dealer's premises over the next two days and it has hardly stopped raining since.

My more than half a century of casually following the ramblings of scientists on matters climate related (70's Ice Age imminent, 80's epidemic of lead-additive poisoning in towns and along major roads, 90's Ozone depletion cancer pandemic et al) leads me to conclude that, for the most part, they have little more of a clue about what will actually happen than anyone else, just one hell of a vested interest in securing research grants!

Bob *-) (lol)

THE DIARY OF AN ENGLISHMAN

NOW LIVING IN THE WELSH VALLEYS

'OUR FIRST WHITE WINTER IN WALES'

DEC 20TH

It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first we've seen for years. The wife and I took out our hot toddies and sat on the porch watching the fluffy soft flakes drift gently down clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It's so beautiful and peaceful.

DEC 24th

We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white glistening snow covering as far as the eye could see. What a fantastic sight, every tree and bush covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and the pavement. Later that day a snow plough came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it away again. The children next door built a snowman with coal for eyes and a carrot for a nose, and had a snowball fight, a couple just missed me and hit the car so I threw a couple back and joined in their fun.

DEC 26th

It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature dropped to around minus 8 degrees.

Several branches on our trees and bushes snapped due to the weight of the snow.

I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards the snow plough came by and did his trick again.

Much of the snow is now a brownish - grey.

JAN 1st

Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tyres for both our cars £500. Fell on my a**e in the driveway. £100 to a physio but nothing was broken.

JAN 4th

Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought her a 4x4 to get her to work.

She slid into a wall and did considerable damage to the right wing - £200.

Had another 8 inches of white s**te last night. Both vehicles are covered in salt and iced up slush that bastard snow plough came by twice today. Where's that bloody shovel.

JAN 6th

More f*****g snow. Not a tree or bush on our property that hasn't been damaged.

Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a paraffin heater which tipped over and nearly torched the house. I managed to put the flames out but suffered 2nd Degree burns on my hands. Lost all my eye brows and eyelashes.

Car hit a f*****g sheep on the way to casualty and was written off.

JAN 8th

F*****g b*****d white s**te just keeps on coming down.

Have to put on every article of clothing just to go to the post box. The little b******s next door ambushed me with snowballs on the way back - I'll shove that carrot so far up the little gits'behind it'll take good surgeon 6 hours to find it.

If I ever catch the a**ehole that drives the snow plough I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart with my teeth.

I think the b*****d hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he accelerates down the street like Michael 'f*****g' Schumacher and buries he f*****g driveway again.

JAN 10th

16 more sodding inches of f*****g snow and f*****g ice and f*****g sleet and god knows what other white s**te fell last night. I am in court in 3 months time for assaulting the snow plough driver with an ice - pick.

Can't move my f*****g toes. Haven't seen the sun for 5 weeks. minus 20 and more f*****g snow forecast

F**K THIS, I'M MOVING BACK TO LONDON

Of what practical use is a scientist? are they as useful as the back yard inventor?

Scientists are only good for inventing weapons of mass destruction, when you are sat in your comfy armchair have a look around you and what do you see? tables, chairs, carpets, central heating hot and cold water all the things that make life a little easier.

None of those things were innovated or invented by the scientist they were all brought together by the practical minded man.

The practical minded man has the gleam of an idea, he makes a prototype, finds out that it works and then makes a better MK2 model, them are the guys that make this world tick.

In the event of a nuclear catastrophe it wont be your scientists that restore water, power and food and shelter it will be you ordinary guy.

Dont get me wrong, scientists do sterling work but they are not the be all and end all, no doubt one or two members will be copying and pasting long drawn out replies to this post.

donna miller - 2010-01-12 11:47 AM

THE DIARY OF AN ENGLISHMAN

NOW LIVING IN THE WELSH VALLEYS

'OUR FIRST WHITE WINTER IN WALES'

DEC 20TH

It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first we've seen for years. The wife and I took out our hot toddies and sat on the porch watching the fluffy soft flakes drift gently down clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It's so beautiful and peaceful.

DEC 24th

We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white glistening snow covering as far as the eye could see. What a fantastic sight, every tree and bush covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and the pavement. Later that day a snow plough came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it away again. The children next door built a snowman with coal for eyes and a carrot for a nose, and had a snowball fight, a couple just missed me and hit the car so I threw a couple back and joined in their fun.

DEC 26th

It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature dropped to around minus 8 degrees.

Several branches on our trees and bushes snapped due to the weight of the snow.

I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards the snow plough came by and did his trick again.

Much of the snow is now a brownish - grey.

JAN 1st

Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tyres for both our cars £500. Fell on my a**e in the driveway. £100 to a physio but nothing was broken.

JAN 4th

Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought her a 4x4 to get her to work.

She slid into a wall and did considerable damage to the right wing - £200.

Had another 8 inches of white s**te last night. Both vehicles are covered in salt and iced up slush that bastard snow plough came by twice today. Where's that bloody shovel.

JAN 6th

More f*****g snow. Not a tree or bush on our property that hasn't been damaged.

Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a paraffin heater which tipped over and nearly torched the house. I managed to put the flames out but suffered 2nd Degree burns on my hands. Lost all my eye brows and eyelashes.

Car hit a f*****g sheep on the way to casualty and was written off.

JAN 8th

F*****g b*****d white s**te just keeps on coming down.

Have to put on every article of clothing just to go to the post box. The little b******s next door ambushed me with snowballs on the way back - I'll shove that carrot so far up the little gits'behind it'll take good surgeon 6 hours to find it.

If I ever catch the a**ehole that drives the snow plough I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart with my teeth.

I think the b*****d hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he accelerates down the street like Michael 'f*****g' Schumacher and buries he f*****g driveway again.

JAN 10th

16 more sodding inches of f*****g snow and f*****g ice and f*****g sleet and god knows what other white s**te fell last night. I am in court in 3 months time for assaulting the snow plough driver with an ice - pick.

Can't move my f*****g toes. Haven't seen the sun for 5 weeks. minus 20 and more f*****g snow forecast

F**K THIS, I'M MOVING BACK TO LONDON

Ha ha, loved it, where are all the forums global warming theorists? huddled around their gas fires no doubt, what a bunch of puddins.

Its not global warming you need to worry about its global cooling.

Guest Tracker
knight of the road - 2010-01-12 12:37 PM

no doubt one or two members will be copying and pasting long drawn out replies to this post.

Only those that purport to be super intelligent - so that lets me out then - as it is often difficult to argue with that little snippet of logic Malc!

Of what practical use is a scientist? are they as useful as the back yard inventor?

Scientists are only good for inventing weapons of mass destruction, when you are sat in your comfy armchair have a look around you and what do you see? tables, chairs, carpets, central heating hot and cold water all the things that make life a little easier.

None of those things were innovated or invented by the scientist they were all brought together by the practical minded man.

The practical minded man has the gleam of an idea, he makes a prototype, finds out that it works and then makes a better MK2 model, them are the guys that make this world tick.

In the event of a nuclear catastrophe it wont be your scientists that restore water, power and food and shelter it will be you ordinary guy.

Dont get me wrong, scientists do sterling work but they are not the be all and end all, no doubt one or two members will be copying and pasting long drawn out replies to this post.

Well I'll take that bait!

So I've looked around the room I'm sitting in, the house is c1750 and the chair I'm sitting on is similar age, so proboly not a lot of science involved there, as for the rest, everthing is derived from scientific discovories or made affordable by them, my heating system came from a 'backyard inventor', the water and electicity to the house was made possible by scientific discovories, yes all those little comfates of modern living, they may have been developed by more practical minds, but initialy it was the scientists that made the discovories.

Guest Tracker

What I can't understand is that, if water finds it's own level then how can Pacific Islands be in danger of flooding - and I don't doubt that they are - when the local spring tide rise and fall above chart datum seems not to have changed in the eleven years that I have lived here?

Tidal rises and falls are measured against the base line known as chart datum which was the lowest possible tide known to occur when the level was set at Newlyn in 1921.

The largest spring tides at Milford Haven are still, as they were in 1998, 7.8 metres above chart datum and the lowest generally 0.1 metres above chart datum - although I did see one tide predicted to be at0.0 metres, ie chart datum back in 2006 - which suggests that mean sea levels on the Western side of the UK have not risen at all in 90 years?

Perhaps someone more clever than I can explain please?

colin - 2010-01-12 7:35 PM

Well I'll take that bait!

So I've looked around the room I'm sitting in, the house is c1750 and the chair I'm sitting on is similar age, so proboly not a lot of science involved there, as for the rest, everthing is derived from scientific discovories or made affordable by them, my heating system came from a 'backyard inventor', the water and electicity to the house was made possible by scientific discovories, yes all those little comfates of modern living, they may have been developed by more practical minds, but initialy it was the scientists that made the discovories.

Colin,

Who came first, the practical man or the scientist? Scientists of say 200 years ago, what did they do for the comfort and benefit of the common man?

Brian Kirby - 2010-01-12 6:41 PM

What is it they say?  "You can always tell a closed mind, but not much".

QED?  :-)

Brian,Dont think of me as being thick I absorb knowledge like a sponge, but I dont fall for the 3 card trick, man can live without the scientist but can't exist without the practical man.

I think the attack against scientists in general is ill informed.

What i am appalled at - and so is most of the scientific community it seems (and I certainly do not see myself as one of them!) is how a small band of so called "scientists" have bent the rules and applied a "trick" to get the data to fit their preconcieved notions.

The "Climategate" leak of how they fiddled the data has shocked many scientists.

This 30 min documentary from Finnish TV is very enlightening and worth 30 min of anyones time on a cold snowy day when we are all wondering if those balmy global warming summers will ever return.

Sadly the BBC has a known corporate view on Global Warming which whilst it is under pressure, the old school network still works to keep us in the dark. That is where the internet is so useful.

Have a look - it is worth it.

http://climateaudit.org/2009/12/29/climategate-on-finnish-tv/

8-)

CliveH,

I don't have a downer on scientists in general but by the same rule I don't take in whatever they say as gospel.

I don't take any notice of the weary willy climate change wallahs, if there is global warming it will be many many years before it effects mankind and I dont think mankind can do anything about it.

CliveH - 2010-01-13 10:29 AM

I think you have the "majority view" KOTR.

Which begs the question - if we all think roughly the same - why are we letting a few discredited scam-scientists have such a bad and very costly influence over our policymakers?

This may be true, but of course 'all thinking roughly the same ' doesn't mean the majority are right.

When I was at school the majority of people thought that smoking was a good idea.

:-|

As you will have guessed I dont support the global warming theory and I have no interest in the plight of other countries.

if other countries are in a fix then let them get off their a***s and sort themselves out, it does no good at all for Britain to be handing them millions and billions of British tax payers money on a plate.

When I read or see on TV foreigners coming over here who have not paid a penny piece into our system being given houses worth up to a million pounds and the massive rents and community charges being paid for by the taxpayer and the rent usually going to foreign landlords I fume.

And by the same rule I also fume about our own native born people gypping the welfare state, something is drastically wrong.

Our tax monies is not going where it should, to our people, we are now governed by people in the EU who are not fit to lick the Englishmans boots.

It is about time Britain took stock of the situation and put America in its place and start slapping one or two people in the mouth and restore our greatness.

Tracker - 2010-01-12 7:53 PM What I can't understand is that, if water finds it's own level then how can Pacific Islands be in danger of flooding - and I don't doubt that they are - when the local spring tide rise and fall above chart datum seems not to have changed in the eleven years that I have lived here? Tidal rises and falls are measured against the base line known as chart datum which was the lowest possible tide known to occur when the level was set at Newlyn in 1921. The largest spring tides at Milford Haven are still, as they were in 1998, 7.8 metres above chart datum and the lowest generally 0.1 metres above chart datum - although I did see one tide predicted to be at0.0 metres, ie chart datum back in 2006 - which suggests that mean sea levels on the Western side of the UK have not risen at all in 90 years? Perhaps someone more clever than I can explain please?

I think its a conspiracy with Panama and Egypt, They open the lock gates at the same time. :D

Dave

I take it all back :-D

I now do not think you hold the majority view KOTR :-S

The world needs to act as a global village with a global market. That we we all benefit. Isolationism will never work because no one country has all the resources to survive on its own,

Trade is not just a benefit it is a nessessity.

Where i disagree totally with the AGW Alarmists is that the only solution they peddle is to restrict trade. This will have a bad effect on developing countries and their peoples.

What we need is a sensible energy and polution policy. The loonytunes from the Alarmist camp would rather western culture and all that has been achieved for the benefit of mankind be torn down in the name of some kind of new religion of environmental anarchy and anti-capitalism.

Capitalism has done more for the poor of this world than all the failed leftwing idelogy based countries put together.

And if you want to see how anticapitalists did when they did have power - just google "soviet environmental disasters"

Guest Tracker

Interesting thoughts Malcolm?

I don't think 'slapping others in the mouth' no matter who they are will put the Great back into GB?

Much as I find the support and protection of these Muslim extremists as distasteful as the next man, once we descend to their level of hatred and violence I believe that there really will be no hope for our nation.

Greatness will return to the UK when we start showing compassion and moderation towards other nations and whilst I think that we have to see this Afghanistan war through now that we have got this far never again should we interfere militarily in the affairs of another nation without there being a very clear and present danger to our own sovereign nation - such as threat of invasion by any means including missiles.

I have a lot of sympathy for countries like Bangladesh and some of the low lying Pacific Island nations whose only 'crime' is to be geographically placed in the firing line for rises in sea levels.

My brother worked with VSO many years ago in what was then the Gilbert Islands - now Tuvalu - and he still has friends there who tell us that the fact is that the sea level has already risen enough to cover most of one of their very low lying uninhabited atolls and that the whole country is under threat of inundation in years to come.

Whether or not you support the climate change theories or whether or not mankind is considered to be to blame or whether these islands are 'sinking' as opposed to sea level rising it does not alter the fact that help is needed for the friendly and peaceful peoples who live there.

I don't think that mankind can stop sea levels from inexorably rising in years to come but maybe we can help with either some very expensive flood defences where appropriate or possible negotiated relocation to higher ground elsewhere in the world to help preserve the national identity of these peoples?

I don't know how else we can help in this situation but I do believe that we, the 'have' nations, should help the 'have not' peaceable nations and it would be a hard man that would deny this help and support in my view?

But what do I know!

knight of the road - 2010-01-13 12:47 AM

Colin,

Who came first, the practical man or the scientist? Scientists of say 200 years ago, what did they do for the comfort and benefit of the common man?

I was in two minds as to reply to your earlier post, I thought you might be posting so as to 'stir things up', I now realise either this is true or brian is correct, whatever, typing replies on a keyboard is not something I'm a natural at, I would much rather see the whites of someones eye's and think on my feet, so I'll bail out of this one.

Archived