Poole to Cherbourg Ferry

ALAN G

The Barfleur, which for 17 years has been plying the route from the port to its twin town Cherbourg, is to be withdrawn in the spring.

The loss of the conventional ferry will leave the high-speed May to September service on the Normandie Vitesse, alongside the freight ferry Cotentin sailing to Cherbourg

Brittany Ferries says there will be no immediate job losses in Poole but the Barfleur, which carries 1,212 passengers and 590 cars, has been haemorrhaging money.

“The Poole to Cherbourg route using the Barfleur has lost us money since 2003,” said spokesman Steve Tuckwell. “We are trying to stem the losses by withdrawing that ship from service.

“Although the Barfleur is being taken out of service we are going to be offering more crossings from Portsmouth.”

It was very convenient . Just 8 miles from home to Poole but obviously we didn't use it enough.

Oh! How I remember the 12.30 crossing, sitting out on deck and enjoying the cruise along the coast past Studland beach, Swanage etc We last did it two years ago, but sadly found it too expensive when we can get three return crossings on Seafrance for under £200. Mind you, the coffee is dreadful on Seafrance, but it's worth the extra drive from Exeter, especially as we detour via Swindon to visit Dad on the way out.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with the last two postings. I used to use the crossing three times a year, firstly towing my caravan (or just with the car) and later with my Hymer. Would also take advantage of their Christmas "booze cruise".

Very reluctantly I gave it up on the grounds of cost. I now make the trek to Dover at least 4 times a year and save a considerable amount doing it - although it takes much longer (heck, we are retired now).

I have written to Brittany Ferries on two occasions to tell them that if they brought their prices down they would attract more folk living in this neck of the woods. Not even a reply.

I do not know if there is any truth in it but someone told me that as the company gets a subsidy from the French Govt they do not really care.

I always check their prices before I book and, as I am about to book my annual "snowbird" crossing for early February I'll check again - bet the prices are still sky high.....................

I will not cry when the ship is taken off - Brittany Ferries asked for it -everybody I know in the motorhome world locally says so.

Such a shame, it used to be really good value "back in the day."

When we lived in Cumbria, in the '90s, we used it as our most direct route across the channel. In those days the route was branded as "Truckline" and was far and away the cheapest "medium" crossing, so as we didn't want to trek across to Dover it was our favourite.

Doesn't affect us nowadays as we're only 2hrs from Dover, but still sad to see it go.

Archived