Is over seven metres a problem

Guest 6berth+

We need to agree to disagree on this Brian . I just know I go where I go and have not had any problems in a larger van.I have had problems on Spanish sites with the height of my van due to the wires the Spanish like to string across pitches to create shade in the Summer with black netting, not so much in my Hymer ,more with the Eura Mobil I had previously as it was higher than the Hymer, I am one of those who don't generally have a set destination to get to,we tend to wander and see where we end up, much more fun we think, nothing to do with Manhood more a sense of adventure.Some of the roads we travel directed by Tom Tom would obviously make you cringe. :-o :-o :-o

As Brian and Shaun say size is important :D the thing is are you willing to make compromises to suit.

With my T25 I can get in a standard car space, most times this is not an issue, but if trying to park in a supermarket or town centre carpark at this time of year it pays dividends, also there is a road I travel down several times a year even with the T25 I have to fold the mirrors, when the X250 arrives I will have to detour, also last easter in Wales I got an X250 lwb panelvan 'stuck' on a tight junction it required me to 'lean' on the scenary, not something would want to do in a coachbuilt in in fact not sure any 6m coachbuilt would have made the turn.

But here's the thing, last summer I had to let an Adria Coral 650 reverse out of a road he thought was too tight to drive along because of a tight bend, this same road is used by the local bus's and full size ones at that.

Hi and welcome. :-D

We've had a few coachbuild motorhomes, from a small 5.53 and now have a large 7.14m van. The length can be a problem when parking - trying to find a spot long enough is challenging in towns etc, but not impossible. The extra living space is lovely though (double dinette up front, massive transverse rear bed). It wasn't what we intended to buy, only wanting to stick to 6m, but to be fair, it hasn't made a lot of difference. Once you get over 5.5 metres every van can be fun to park at times. One of the other problems is the width - modern coachbuilt motorhomes tend to be wider than they used to be and this can make putting your van in a parking space, even one that you can 'hang' the rear end over a suitable bit of grass, more tricky as many spots are too narrow for them.

We like to go to remote places, down lovely windy roads, up mountain passes etc, there have been very few roads which we haven't been able to use but if you like to holiday in Cornwall forget it! Unless you have other modes of transport too you will not be able to get to some of the more popular places, as the roads are narrow and have high hedges/walls either side - not motorhome friendly ... and that's before you meet the tractor coming the other way! We accept it's limitations and live with them, we also take our pedal bikes with us and tend to park a little further out and peddle in - whether this is a realistic option with your children in tow is debatable.

If you intend to use your motorhome mainly in the warmer months then you may not need the extra space as hopefully the weather will be better for you to get out and sit out more.

If you intend to use campsites and stay on them for a week I'd suggest that a motorhome isn't really for you. A caravan and a car would be more suitable. It allows you to leave the 'habitation' bit on site and still have a mode of transport to get to the places you want to go. With a motorhome every time you want to visit somewhere you'll have to pack up your gear and move it. You can get an awning to attach to a smaller motorhome but then you're 'stuck' on site with it unless you are wiling to take the awning down everh time.

As you are new to this 'venture' I'd seriously suggest that you think long and hard about how you intend to use the 'van first, that will really help you to decide whether a motorhome, large or small, or a caravan, is the best option for you.

Hi my Eldiss 6 berth is 6.20meters long I have had 4 adults and 2 children in it for travelling and have no problem. I f you have an awning you can feed the hordes easily. At sites in France we have had 4 adults and 4 children in the U lounge to play scrabble etc. plenty of room, my autostratus has an extra table, the over cab bed is refered to as the penthouse suite and the kids luv it and can be tucked up nice and snug while the grownups play (quitetly) in the back. In places like Cornwall I cheat and follow the local bus everyone makes way for it, its rather like ambulance chasing. Don't worry what ever you chose you will get used to it and most sites can cope with 7meters easily. Welcome to the free sciety and don't forget to wave or not as the mood takes you. John (lol)

Go for it. I have a 23'9" in old money which is over 7 mtrs if I am not wrong, plus I also pull an 8' trailer with my electric wheelchair or buggy. I have good mirrors and a very good back up camera. I am a B class American motorhome and the wing mirrors stick out miles from the indented cab doors.

If you go for an A class you only have to worry about the wing mirrors as the body is normally the same all the way down. If it is a B or C class you have to remember the body sticks out more and you also have the wing mirrors to consider. On an American and if it is a heated Valvec it is expensive to buy a new glass let alone a mirror head if it is hit by an on coming truck (read builders van). If you have a lhd vehicle then there is on the Americans a awning as well to remember, plus the exhaust pipe tip and the bit of the electric step that sticks out. BUT you soon get used to allowing the room to on coming vehicles and yes like others I have to stop and let others pass to save the body work. So it is not just the 7 mt long it is also how wide is it. Or even how tall? mine has an roof air conditioner and also a NETA saterlite dome, plus the usual winguard arial (wound down) they all can and do get snagged in low trees. Super Market car parks you do not do unless you are mad. As I will bet you a pound to a penny even when you park at the back longways over two or three bays they will park across the front or close up the rear.

So why do I drive a monster... the full size fridge and big freezer, the 26" tv running from the mains or the 1500 watt invertor. The real size bathroom and shower with a sensible on board water supply. The host of extras that are normal on an American and only are just starting to show up on european campers, like the slide outs. The air adjustable rear suspension and the powerful V10 6.8 engine. Not forgetting the electric start generator - 4kw - You have to have a big vehicle to carry all that and the passengers. We had an A class American when the chilkdren were younger... now grown up and married so it is just the two of us and the Saint Bernard dog. But we still like to have the size. Parking is not a real issue, camping is not a real issue. You work round it. OK it costs a bit more on the Euro Tunnel, but having said that I paid this week £241 return for the camper and trailer and the dog return for the end of March.

Would I trade down in size... no .. I went from 29' to 24' that was bad enough. Go on get one.

I stick by my post most delivery vans these days often are refridgerated so tend to be as wide and long as a motorhomw and what about the lorrys delivering to pubs etc.Last year I camped at Bigbury on sea the trip down the narrow lane involved at least a dozen or more passings with reversing it took time but whose in a hurry.

I returned to motorhomes about 4 years ago after a gap of many years and purchased a new Globecar 2 berth van conversion in Germany drove it back to Spain went away for 4 nights and realised what a mistake just not enough room tiny bathroom etc.I then returned to Germany and PX for my Burstner Solano t700 with end bathroom what a difference!!!

That mistake and use for 4 days cost me 10,000 euros because I thought I wanted a small easy to drive vehicle.

You spend more time static in the van than you do driving and need some home comforts I am to old to want to make do.

It's fair to say that parking any motorhome even sub 6m can be a problem so the extra 1 m or so makes little difference go for comfort.

slobadobabob - 2009-12-22 1:49 PM

If you go for an A class you only have to worry about the wing mirrors as the body is normally the same all the way down. If it is a B or C class you have to remember the body sticks out more and you also have the wing mirrors to consider.

All A, B and C classes have mirrors that protrude out from the body otherwise you couldn't see down the side, so I suggest that it's not an issue. What is an issue is that although the majority of larger European motorhomes, whatever class, have standardised on around a 230mm body width, the A class versions of the same marque are a lot wider as their mirrors are not set into the body. Some manufacturers actually tell the truth and give the width including the mirrors, others don't.

It's also worth remembering that you are going to be spending a lot more time standing still when a roomy interior comes into its own.

Hi 6berth+ Welcome to the forum. I am afraid I'm not on here much but always head back here for excellent advice. Just wanted to tell you about my experience with our van which is 6 berth 7.4 metres long.

We have a swift suntor 630L which has a rear u shaped lounge, a central dining and seating area and an over cab double. You will find whatever layout/length of van you choose, you will adapt your driving accordingly.We have been all over France and have only not been able to get to certain places twice and both situations involved junctions that even a 6 metre van would have found tight. The kids when younger, loved it as we were able to leave the kids in the overcab and central bed, return our rear bed into a U shaped lounge and have a peaceful breakfast before they stirred. Our main concern when buying the van was not the length but the fact that we had a seat belt for every person traveling.

Happy hunting

I think the truth is, their's no "one size fits all" mines 9.5 metres, for me that's ideal, don't won't to go bigger or smaller. I started of in 78 with a Sherpa van and have gradually got bigger :-D

You can take all the advice in the world, but only you can decide what's right for you, and unless your lucky that will take a few vans. Some people get quite heated over van sizes, insisting that their's is the right size, but we are all different, and all tour in different ways, its whatever makes you happy and your pocket can afford.

My I suggest you write down a list of what's important to you, and what you intend to do with the van, for instance if you are into winter sports then a well insulated van would important.

Olley

We have the Autocruise Startrail at 7.04 meters never found it a problem.. but then again I've been an HGV driver since 1978,so the size is not an issue for me.If you feel this is going to be a problem I think the various clubs (CC and C&CC) do courses or failing that try the Institute of Advanced Drivers course..now that will open your eyes to others driving habits!!

During my driving career in HM Forces I've done the IAM course and also other advanced driving courses and been tutored by the Police at Hendon now that was good..

Top and bottom of it try a driving course..it will give you the confidence to drive in the UK and the continent

6berth+

Just to re-emphasise Brian Kirby's earlier caveat...

Motorhomes that are family-oriented and have a 7m+ length will tend to be heavy even when empty. If such a vehicle is marketed with a 3500kg maximum overall weight (as many are), then payload may well be so seriously restricted that the vehicle becomes virtually impossible to operate legally once passengers and luggage have been taken into account.

A 'solution' to this dilemma is to obtain a motorhome with a maximum overall weight that comfortably exceeds 3500kg and provides plenty of payload. However, to drive such motorhomes requires a driving-licence entitlement that many younger drivers may not possess. Your partner may well have an 'over 3500kg' driving-licence entitlement, but it would be sensible to confirm this.

As far as motorhome length is concerned I often in my mind compare with a tugger. A moderate sized rig for them will be something like a 12 foot caravan, a 12 foot car with about 3 feet of A frame between.

Even this relatively small rig totals about 27 feet. Caravan is probably about a similar width to a motorhome. I would suggest that a caravan car combination is more of a problem. It is of course articulated and the rear tends to follow the towing vehicle line . With a longer motorhome just don,t take roundabouts or bends/junctions quite so tightly. I have had a caravan and I reckon they are more of a problem than a largish motorhome especially when reversing even if you are good at reversing.

Dave

vindiboy - 2009-12-21 8:10 PM

We need to agree to disagree on this Brian . I just know I go where I go and have not had any problems in a larger van.

The reason for this diffrence of opinion is contained in this quote - "I just know I go where I go". The writer obviously has no problems in going where he wants to go. I know that he would not physically be able to go to some of the places I go, so obviously they must be places that he doesn't want to go. The question the originator of this thread needs to answer is, "would I want to go to these places?" Not all places are on bus routes, some places are only reachable down roads with a 2M width limit, or on roads with a 3.5T weight limit. Some you might be able to reach in a 'van 7M long, but you would not be able to park anywhere. It is an unfortunate fact of life that the larger your 'van the more inaccessible places there will be. You may never realise this, as they may be the sort of places that you don't want to visit, but you need to give this some thought before commiting yourself.

Archived