Do you fall off/out when you roll over ?

tonyishuk

Just wondering how single (fixed or settee bases) measure up in the comfort stakes for sleeping on ?

Also what single bed widths are acceptable before rolling over and falling out/off? (Not having slept in a single bed for many years)

I read, not so long ago, a MMM report where the writer was less than enthusiastic of the widths of fixed single beds in an expensive M/home and ended up sleeping on the double bed. (AND the retailers PDI had not checked the heating) So the reviewer was not happy about anumber of things!

We have an extremely comfotable double fixed bed in a Rapido. But the crawling over a body to get to the loo in the night is becoming a problem *-) (maybe it should be :$ )

Must be the age, or the amount drunk, D'ont want to change either really !

Rgds

Hi Tony,

We have just changed from a rear lounge panel van conversion that made up a transverse double bed to the same layout but with longer sofas that make twin single beds or a huge double. The twin beds are well over six foot in length and 2 foot wide. Much more comfortable than the huge double as there are less cushion joints and a very slight knee roll on the outer side of the matress that helps stop any rolling off.

Overall, the twin single beds/sofas are much, much better than the transverse double arrangement.

David

Minimum width should be two foot for an average size person; two foot four inches is a good width. Three foot is too much. Measure with the side cushions removed. Check the width of your sleeping bag because a bag that slides over the edge is more likely to result in a fall. Rolled up edgings help keep you in place but reduce the effective width for comfortable sleeping. Also depends on whether you move about a bit when asleep, whether you sleep on your side or back, and whether you sleep with your body bent in a foetus like manner. The mattress is a big influence, too hard and you are more likely to roll, too soft and you may end up with backache.

The body seems to have a remarkable ability not to fall out of bed!

Our High permanent bed in the Hymer is super comfortable we have feather and down over mattress on it and feather and down Duvet on top,I don't know how wide it is as I have never had the need to measure it, as for climbing over my wife to get in and out, I have to sleep on the inside , I love that bit, even after 45 years married LOL LOL .

The drop down double over the cab area is also great, but we did used to put the supplied safety net across it when our Grandsons slept in it when they were younger as they could fidget for Britain when asleep. :-o :-o :-o

We gave much thought to this before we purchased our motorhome. We really fancied a fixed end bedroom (an American RV) but this meant we would be unable to park it on the drive as we had only 29' available. We wanted another American RV due to the standard features we had come to love, like a real fridge and a real freezer and better still a real toilet. So we spent the best part of 18 months trying to decide what to do. We looked at the quarter beds but we did not want to have the problem of climbing over each other in the middle of the night. Single beds? well we are rather ample in size and I could see us falling out of bed. So we went for a 23'9" Winnibago Aspect this has a rock and roll settee oposite the drop down dinning room table (which is in the slideout). Simple we both have our own double size bed. We had those folkes that make the memory foam beds with the covers make us two special units to match the size at 48" wide by 6'6" so we are warm and we can rollover without falling out. Mind you if we do the Saint Bernard dog is always a sleep in the middle of the floor. There is always a way round problems. It does not take long to put the matress back in the kit bags (2) and stow them in the shower in the ample rear bathroom. A quick push and the sette is back as it was the night before and the table lifts back up in to place. Four cushions put back in place on the seat bases and back and the camper is back to normal. If we need to use one bed we can, but so far the way we do it works well for us. :-D

When we had an Elddis Autoquest 320 and then a Swift 590RS we used to use the dinette as one single bed and the settee as another to save having to make up the double. Whilst hubby was fine on the wider dinette single, I hated the settee single, it was an absolute pain and one of the reasons why we then went for our Rapido 709F with it's fixed rear bed (soooooo cute :D ... sorry I digress :$). When sleeping singley we both had sleeping bags and I used to be forever getting 'strangled' by the ruddy thing when turning over in the night (I THINK it was the sleeping bag! 8-) ), or it would try to flop off the edge. A duvet would be pretty much the same I suppose.

If you use domestic beds for comparison, 2' 6" is regarded as suitable for children and smaller adults, 2' 9" a reasonable size for an average adult, and 3' 0" as comfortable for most.  Standard length 6' 3".  It always amazes me how beds shrink when provided for any kind of camping.  Comfortable nights are, surely, just as important when away from home?

Hi,

Driving down the road one day I spied a car and caravan in a layby. An old Volvo Amazon towing a 6ft caravan (Romini?). I noticed it was on foreign plates (Scandinavian?), so turned back, and stopped for a chat.

Bloke didn't speak much English, but seemed to welcome me.

I queried if he slept draped over a rope (like in the old doss houses, according to my father). He understood that OK, was almost rolling round the floor drumming his heels with laughter.

We have found that a 6ft wide bed is best for us. Sharing a 4ft wide bed with 30kg of self opinionated dog (and my wife) is not comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...
Our Autotrail has two long lounge seats. The base on each side is 28 inches wide by 73.5 inches long. The wife 5 feet 6 inches and 10 stone sleeps on the matress with an Ikea topper and finds it quite acceptable. No problems with falling out at all. I am 17 stone and 6 feet 2 inches and sleep on the other side with the back rest pulled out and this makes the mattress 42 inches wide I also use an Ikea mattress topper. No problems. We both sleep better in the van than at home. The seats pull out ever so easily and we still have a 12 inch gap between beds so that if one of us gets up in the night we dont disturb the other. If we want to get amourous just put both down and we have a 73.5 inch x 82 bed. Fantastic! The Cheyenne 630 is now called the Navajo in the 2010 range.

Our Swift 630L has the choice of 2 single beds in the rear or can be converted to a massive double. We love the big U-lounge this creates during the day and we often leave it as singles for night time. Never had a problem with roll over/roll out but we are both slim. Any cushioning that acts as a seating area and a bed is a compromise. The buttons on the bed mattress are a nuisance. I saw some memory foam mattress toppers in Aldi for £30. Wish I had bought them as they are now out of stock.

Archived