Fiat cab - driver door cold draught

Charlie M

Hello Charlie

You don't mention the year of manufacture of your Fiat but the 2000 vintage were very prone to this problem and there has been much discussion on the forum about cures. I can't help directly but you might find an answer using the Search facilities.

V

Guest Tracker

Sounds like someone has had the inside door panel off - probably to get at the door lock or window winder gubbins - and not resealed the plastic membrane back properly?

A little bit of foam plastic and/or a little bit of ingenuity should overcome this as the panel is quite easy to get on and off - if a little time consuming first time!

For draughts around the door frame - slip the plastic door seal rubber off of the flange and beat the flange outwards with a hammer - using a block of wood to spread the impact area and avoid damage - and refit rubber seal.

There may be a 'ventilation' panel in the lower door - a small area with lots of small holes in it - it's ostensibly to prevent condensation forming but many of us just tape it up and lose the gale!

There are numerous other draught inlet points and a little time spent crawling around inside on a windy day will locate most of them - cures are often simple and cheap as well as effective.

Only know about model pre 2007.

On the rear of the door's frame (open the door) you will see some vents which are there to to combat damp inside the door. You can cover most of them with tape, I used red refective type thus providing a safety aspect when opening the doors at night. This will help to stop this draught. Don't cover them all as this would leave the door in'ards liable to damp.

Hi Charlie - welcome. :-D

Without knowing which model you have it may make it difficult to 'diagnose' but it sounds like its the vents in the door 'edge' as described above. We had the same problem in our 2003 Fiat Ducato (penultimate model), we also got quite a chill through the plastic casings where the seatbelt come out, and also at the bottom inside of the door window glass - just put your hand there when travelling and you'll be able to feel it coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies Mel. I thought it was dated just over a year ago !

In that case, I have fitted  sticky draught excluder (from Homebase) around the door a couple of years ago now. I like to report that the problem is completely solved.....but I can't. Just some improvement...I think ?

The navigator concluded that the draught was not a draught as such, but cold "falling" off the window and metalwork around the door.

She now happily uses a travel blanket, I just get to feel cold as I am told that it might fall off and get in the way of the pedals.

Rgds

Mel B said:

"Now then guys - it could be that he's away in the van and hasn't got an internet connection ..."

Well, I did think of this which is why I left it until the main period of holiday was ended before bringing the post to the top.

We will await a response...........

Archived