home insurance

Petra

Thanks guys.

After much ringing around and website bashing, we've got sorted with Tesco of all places! They do 3 levels: Value, Standard, and Finest. We've gone for the Standard cover with some tweaks to suit us as the Finest just added in some bits we didn't need/want.

The Standard policy, apart from the obvious important stuff like good level of cover for contents and buildings, personal possessions etc, has some other bits which were desirable for us such as:

Sports equipment cover - our canoes are covered both at home and when away (UK and abroad) - couldn't find another policy that would cover them even if we paid extra! :-D

Cycles - the policy only insists that they are locked up NOT locked to an immovable object (UK and abroad). :-)

Cover for 60 days away from home with no loss of benefit and no requirement for checks. :->

In most cases there is no excess to pay or only a small one, the highest 'standard' one being £50, with subsidence being £1,000 (minimum as standard on most policies now).

We could have paid for the policy using our Tesco vouchers but unfortunately you don't get 4x the value!!! :D

I have just insured the house thru Nationwide. As we are away for more than 60 days I thought that would be a problem. But they just asked that I turn off the water and the gas and get the house checked every 14 days. It didn't alter the premium which incidentally was the cheapest one I have received after trawling through comparison websites.

Guest Tracker
When we go away in the winter we leave the heating on a low setting to prevent frost damage and keep the place aired and so we do not turn off the gas or water.

Archived